Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WW1 German Trench Fighting Knife Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 German Trench Fighting Knife Opinions?

Is this an original German Trench Knife?
    Attached Files

I collect German trench knives and have never seen anything like the one posted ID as a trench knife. I also have books on the subject and nothing like this one that said their are so many variations out their which makes it a interesting hobby.

Comment

i have a putty knife that is very similar in terms of blade size and shape....but flat edge on the end.....so more dangerous I would think.

I am not trying to make a joke or put down the knife that you have, but I have to wonder how someone could seriously hurt much less kill someone with that instrument?

I can say that I have been buying and looking at trench knives since about 1977 both in the U.S. and Europe.....and from most all countries involved in both world wars and I have not seen anything like that offered as such before.

Comment

Its for cutting bush i belive. Military used it but it shure was not originaly ment for use in combat. Cant say it german but itaians used similar tool.

Comment

maybe I jumped the gun (not the first time) on this as I thought that I understood the size/scale of the item, but perhaps I did not! I could see this being a so-called bush hook machete. Maybe it is about 18-22 inches long instead of about 10 inches long?

If the edge is sharpened (I can not tell in the photos) and is a machete, I would change my opinion of possible trench weapon use. I have no idea as to country of origin or if even military. A lot of non standard items were used and made up at the front for trench weapons.

Comment

it would help to drop a ruler beside it or even a coin or something to get some idea. I was judging the handle size to blade length.....and honestly it looks like a 4 inch handle on a 6 inch blade. If this is a machete it has a very long handle

Comment

Somebody is selling it on ebay and that is what they have it listed as. I thought it looked wierd, just wondered if they even used such a thing. I believe you guys answered my question that they never did, thank you!!

Comment

vintage sugar cane knife
                Attached Files
                Last edited by naxos; 11-08-2016, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Do not see how someone would choose this as a weapon (unless this is the only object at hand and you are very desperate). It seems much more useful as a working tool of some sort.

Comment

It's a workman's tool of some sort.

Comment

Naxos has it right... just google "sugar cane knife" and you will get all the details you need.
                      My album

Comment

It's a French "Serpe" or sickle. There was a model of this that was an issued tool for WWI French troops. If you google "French Serpe" they have images that match this.

Chip

Comment

Maybe it's a military issued Billhook? Ya, that would be a strech since there are no markings to go by. But I just read that during WW1 and WW2 many armies had these and they were issued to Pioneers and infantry. It does look like a French or Spanish Serpe, I never even heard of it before till now.
                          Last edited by stephen grund; 11-10-2016, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X