Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 Imperial Navy Cap Tallies

Hi,
    I recently purchased these at an auction and have no idea whether they are genuine although they are definitely silk with gold thread. I have checked these against purported originals and they seem to match but as this outside my collecting knowledge I was hoping to get some advice/feedback regarding them. Thanks in advance for any help I can get with these.
    Regards
    Steve
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Steve Conway; 10-18-2020, 02:46 AM. Reason: Typo

Hi guys,

Is there not a single person with an opinion or feedback? Is there some other forum where I would be better to seek advice?

Steve

Comment

The cap bands appear to be good originals. Is that glue residue on the back?

Comment

Hi Pauke,

Thanks for the feedback, they appear pretty good to me based on others I have seen but I am no expert in this field. Yes it is glue, which some short-sighted individual used to attach them to a display board, not only that they also cut them down to fit. The laziness and stupidity of some people is mind boggling, they could have easily been folded and stitched to it. I need to research how to get that glue off if I can. Once again thanks.
        Regards
        Steve

Comment

Hi, These are indeed all original. Please don't try to pry the glue off or use anything on these. These tallies are incredibly fragile. Tallies should never be ironed, washed, have any solvents added to them. You notice the weaving pattern on the reverse, this can easily be torn/ripped if you over stretch them. These tallies were made with metal thread and are all good Gold versions (Deck related personnel) tallies. White/silver was for administrative/engineering. Red for Schiffsjungen or cadets.
          M├╝tzenbands are my passion. I have several hundred. It is an addictive and rather inexpensive area of collecting.
          Please Please Please, don't attempt. These are over 100 years old. I agree, the person who prior cut them and tacked them down to display board was indeed a haphazard klutz. There really is nothing that can be done now. They will still display well. With adhesive being already on them, I wouldn't suggest storing them in say 35mm film canisters as chances are that Mr. Klutz probably didn't use a archive approved epoxy and its off-gassing can react with the metal thread, further deteriorating these pieces.

Best Regards,
          JustinG

Comment

Hi JustinG,
            Thanks for the advice I will refrain from doing anything to them to remove the glue.
            Regards
            Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
            X