Gibraltar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gibraltar

Two uniforms I have recently acquired with the "Gibraltar" cuffbands. The one on the left for Infanterie-Regiment von Voigts-Rhetz (3.Hannoversches) Nr. 79 and the one on the left, an Oberjager for Hannoversches Jager Bataillon Nr. 10. Missing is the third unit that was awarded the cuffband by the Kaiser -- Fusilier-Regiment Generalfeldmarschall Prinz Albrecht von Preussen (1.Hannoversches) Nr. 73. Someday ...

Mike
    Attached Files

Collecting mint condition Imperial German uniforms, visor caps, and Pickelhauben.

Very nice tunics! Ernst Juenger, a veteran of the 73rd, makes numerous mentions of the Gibraltar cuff title in his book "Storm of Steel". Even late in the war they were worn on field uniforms.

Comment

Great combo. Love both tunics and the cuff titles. Congratulations!
      Author of Under Arms for the Kaiser; Shoulder Insignia of the Imperial German Army's Regiments, 1871-1918.

Comment

And this one added today ... a Leutnant in Fusilier-Regiment “General-Feldmarschall Prinz Albrecht von Preussen” Nr. 73 with “Gibraltar” cuffband. More photos tomorrow when I get better light.

Mike
        Attached Files

Collecting mint condition Imperial German uniforms, visor caps, and Pickelhauben.

Comment

Congrats Mike.
          Looking for personal items of German, Austrian and Italian commanders of the WW I Isonzo and Trentino fronts. Also looking for the Ehrenpokal and other items belonging to Hauptmann Werner Lucas, JG 3.

Comment

I googled the fascinating history of the Gibraltar cuffband. It comes from the time of the war of independence in America, when Britain also had to fend off a Spanish- French menace to Gibraltar and Menorca. Short of troops 5 Hannoverian battalions were deployed there, successfully defending the rock. Initially they were awarded an own flag, bear fur hats with the Gibraltar lettering and the cuff was worn by these battalions until 1918, so also in combat against their former allies. It must have been weird for British soldiers to see the cuff on the battlefields of WW1. After 1918 the tradition seems to have been abandoned... that´s what I found. Interesting story- I just thought it might help others viewing the cuff thread and asking the same questions.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
            X