No announcement yet.

Thoughts on WW1 Tunics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As Pauke suggested, if the seller is confident that he can get that kind of money for them, why not let him sell them and give you the yields?
    Looking for personal items of German, Austrian and Italian commanders of the WW I Isonzo and Trentino fronts. Also looking for the Ehrenpokal and other items belonging to Hauptmann Werner Lucas, JG 3.

Comment

Originally posted by GdC26 View Post
      As Pauke suggested, if the seller is confident that he can get that kind of money for them, why not let him sell them and give you the yields?
      These situations are difficult. Many collectors, while declaring the value THEY place on their items, know (or quickly discover) reality gets in the way.

IMO, the collector should offer them to a dealer like Weitze, who will let you know what he will pay, regardless of the price the collector has in mind.

Because money is owed really makes this complicated.
      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Z. View Post

These situations are difficult. Many collectors, while declaring the value THEY place on their items, know (or quickly discover) reality gets in the way.

IMO, the collector should offer them to a dealer like Weitze, who will let you know what he will pay, regardless of the price the collector has in mind.

Because money is owed really makes this complicated.
        I fully agree, and personally believe that since the lot is probably worth substantially less than the owner seems to believe, he should be offering it to Helmut, not his creditor.
        Looking for personal items of German, Austrian and Italian commanders of the WW I Isonzo and Trentino fronts. Also looking for the Ehrenpokal and other items belonging to Hauptmann Werner Lucas, JG 3.

Comment

Might as well kick the dead horse after he’s been beaten and say the same things 20 different ways. This saga seems to have ended now but for the sake of others who may get in a similar situation it is worth understanding that the word “value” has many different meanings. The probable market value or target selling price is very different for an established dealer with solid reputation and advanced sales capabilities than it is for most others. There is also a pecking order for the others, meaning that I can certainly get more for an item that I know a lot about than one who has no clue as to what it is can get. Lastly the need or desire for a quick sale always puts the seller at a huge disadvantage. I say all of this to say that the owners opinion about the value is probably not wrong or at least very wrong but just not correct given the circumstances required to turn these pieces into quick cash.

Comment

Yes, it's always a difficult situation to try to turn an item into getting top dollar "cash" in a very short time, no matter what the item is, even sometimes if you happen to be a world-wide well-known dealer or collector with a lot of respect. It all hinges upon who has what cash available to pay an asking price at any given time. And many times those with the available cash on hand don't want to pay the asking price. They all seem to want a discount. No collector that I personally know of wants to have top retail dollar tied up in an item that sits around for their enjoyment. I know those people exist, but I have yet to meet one of them in person.

My Father always told me that having the value tied up in a military item wasn't the same as being able to go to the bank and draw the amount out from the bank that you want or need. It always takes time to sell something, and even then you might not get what you're wanting for it when you sell it, or what you have invested/tied up in it at the time you want or need to sell it. As to my "always" following that advice from my Dad, that is another story.

As Willi pointed out: "Because money is owed it really makes this complicated". And that's the unfortunate part of this whole situation.

Best Regards,

Alan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
            X