Mounting Style of the Military Order of Merit of the GDR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting Style of the Military Order of Merit of the GDR

I've recently been looking into some of the more obscure medals and orders of theand came across the Military Order of Merit of the GDR and noticed in all the available pictures I was able to find the medal was not mounted in the typical East German style. Is there a reason for this or were these examples just not mounted yet?

GDR_Mil-ord-merit_rib-G.gif Bartel0019agsb.jpg ddr045-02.jpg

Probably because this medal was not intended for the NVA, but for civilians and members of foreign armed forces.

-Joel

Comment

Originally posted by Venturefan260 View Post
      Probably because this medal was not intended for the NVA, but for civilians and members of foreign armed forces.

-Joel
      Perhaps but most East German civilian decorations and state awards are mounted in the style (I don’t know the name) where it is basically connected to ribbon bar sized mount. You may be right but it does seem like a odd departure from the norm.

Comment

I will say the only other DDR award that I’ve seen with this mounting style was the Stauffenberg-Orden (which was most likely to be awarded to NVA members) that was going to be proposed by the Ministry Of Defense and Disarmament in 1990 but was made irrelevant do to reunification. Although the Medal was basically just a copy of the Military Merit Order with a portrait of Stauffenberg instead of the hammer and compass so the design probably wasn’t finalized.

D0F82115-4A26-4AF1-AC71-DCAC88850BE0.jpeg
        72B512AE-F5BF-45D2-87D1-26672C1BF212.jpeg

90001E8E-94A6-43B0-9653-E5660E8F839A.jpeg

Comment

In the book militarische orden Der Deutsche demokratischen republic it shows both the scharnhorst and blutcher prototypes with this style of ribbon arrangement.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam171 View Post

Perhaps but most East German civilian decorations and state awards are mounted in the style (I don’t know the name) where it is basically connected to ribbon bar sized mount. You may be right but it does seem like a odd departure from the norm.
            It is a kind of reduced soviet ribon style.

Everybody could confirm if this order has ever been given? I never saw it on any picture.

In my souvenirs the Blucher orden and medal were kept in reserve for a possible war, but I'm not sure about this order.
            Last edited by seb16trs; 09-23-2020, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
              X