Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm actually going to be as bold to say that this isn't a fake. I don't think it's a graduate badge of the university, but perhaps a student's badge... The construction and quality is typical for the gazillion kinds of pins that the USSR produced in the 1980's and early 90's. If someone knows for sure if this is a student's badge or not, I'd be interested in hearing. Although, while I don't think it's a fake, I don't think it has much value either even as a student's pin - maybe $2-$3 tops.

Dave

Comment

Actually, something I've never asked, what does it say on it?

Comment

"University of Marxism Leninsim"

Dave

Comment

Now that could be a possibility. As you say NAVYFCO, there were literally millions of these badges produced during Soviet times for all manner of subjects and their quality varied greatly so technically speaking, if it is one of these badges then it is not a fake. However, it certainly isn't military though. All military graduation badges that I have come across have been of first class construction with a screw post attachment. They have been heavy in weight and of three piece construction.

Comment

Originally posted by Ciaran Byrne
            However, it certainly isn't military though. All military graduation badges that I have come across have been of first class construction with a screw post attachment. They have been heavy in weight and of three piece construction.
            You're absolutely correct - it's definately not military. It's definately civilian, which explains a lot of the quality.

Dave

Comment

I agree, all of the military school badges used screw-posts, as difficult as they were! See the thread on Academy badges, and the photos of Yuri Gagarin trying to get his graduation badge on his tunic. He went into space alone, but it took him and another officer to get the badge on his jacket!

Comment

Actually, those pin backs can be right b*s*rds too - have you ever tried to create a neat row of them?

Comment

Beware

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...528171924&rd=1

Beware of these items... Seller has had two in so many weeks... Super rare, super fake... my opinion.

Comment

Yeah, I'd say fake/repro too!

The photo on the left is actually of re-enactors in the Czech Republic - I know as they sent me their photos only a few weeks ago!!!

Comment

I noticed that he has this item covered with a lifetime authenticity warranty... Maybe he does not know it could be fake?

Best regards
                      Paul Reck
                      Looking for documents/items pertaining to Warsaw 1944 Uprising

Comment

Originally posted by Underdog

Beware of these items... Seller has had two in so many weeks... Super rare, super fake... my opinion.
                        By the way, almost everything coming from that seller is FAKE ! So just evoid him.

Comment

I THINK ITS PRETTY CLEAR THAT HE IS KNOWINGLY SELLING POLISHED TURDS AS REAL. MAYBE HE USES HIS INSPECTION PERIOD TO INSPIRE CONFIDENCE. HE IS THE OUTLET MALL FOR ALL RUSSIAN MADE WW2 FAKES. IT IS SAD THAT HE IS TAKING ADVANTAGE OF SOME PEOPLE BUT ITS A GOOD ONGOING RESEARCH PROJECT FOR THE RUSSIAN WW2 COLLECTOR AND DEALER TO KEEP ABREAST OF THE NEW FAKES BEING MADE. NOT EVERYTHING HE SELLS IS FAKE BUT A GREAT DEAL OF IT IS.

Originally posted by Paul Reck
                          I noticed that he has this item covered with a lifetime authenticity warranty... Maybe he does not know it could be fake?

Best regards
                          Paul Reck

Comment

For the record, the "imperial" badge he's trying to sell (lot 6521040466) is an example of the 1990's attempts to repro pre-1917 badges. It may generically match up with a line drawing in one of the recent reference books, but its execution is all wrong.

There is a huge series of these copies and all of them are marked on the screwplate with the same letters that he shows in his photo... I think that they were made to sell in souvenir stands and not necessarily to deceive serious collectors: I saw plenty of them on sale all over Moscow last month. (There was an emigre "dealer" at a Charlie Snyder show five or six years ago attempting to sell dozens and dozens of them - most of his, however, had no attempts at enamel.)

So, whenever you see a screwplate marked like that: run, don't walk, to the nearest exit.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Wesley's Dad
                              This Shuba was purchased from a very reputible militaria dealer several years ago. He got if from a German source, and it was sold to me as a wartime original piece, and boy did she ever lookthe part. I took it on as a restoration project as it needed a total scrub down and mending. I removed all of the buttons at they were completly covered in verdigres and rust. After a long soak in a vinegar solution they cleaned up pretty nicely...only to reveal 1950's vintage buttons on the backsides that were hidden in rust

Since my washing voided my lifetime guarantee, it became a lessen learned. However, this one will soon get reworked with repro buttons and tabs to sell off to a willing reenactor. At least I'll get back some money that way...

While a very very similar coat was manufactured and worn as winter gear in the mid 1930's and contuinued to be worn into the final war years. This coat proved out to be part of the military construction worker's uniforms authorized by the 1956 uniform change orders. When I got the coat, it had a hand written german luggage tag in one of the pockets. At that time I figured this was evidence that this coat was sent home as a war souvenier. Based on the buttons however, it is pretty obvious that this coat was worn home by a forelorn German POW in the 1950's.

When buying coats like this, you have the buttons to fall back on. If the buttons pass inspection, I am of the belief that the factory sewn shoulderboard loop are indicative pf a postwar coat.

If you are offered the more common telogreika and or the matching padded trousers from German sources or the likes of German eBay, you must be open minded to the fact that such material is most likely not wartime Soviet military, but post war worker wear that returned to German on the backs of returning POWs. Typically these items are devoid of all markings, stamps etc. so there will be no dates to verify.
                              Hey,
                              What did the ticket look like? Rail? Any info on the German POW? For what it is worth....it's a cool looking coat with a great story attached to it!
                              Regards,
                              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Underdog

does anyone remember who that seller was? So that it is possible to avoid him in future? Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                                X