Soviet medals questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soviet medals questions

Seeking opinions on these in an upcoming estate sale. I don't collect Soviet at all but if the price is right I'd go after them. Looks like For The Victory Over Germany in the Great Patriotic War, Orders of the Red Star, Order of the Patriotic War 2nd class. Is there a way to tell when the Orders of the Red Star and Order of the Patriotic War 2nd class were issued? What's a reasonable value? Thanks!

I'm not seeing the images for some reason. The medal is a $10-20 item. The Red WStar starts at ~$50 but there are rare variations and the OPW2, if it's the '85 reissue is ~$25+. If it's not the reissue they start at over $100. with many variations.
    Thanks,
    Eric Gaumann

Comment

This reply by Eric Gaumann has been deleted by Eric Gaumann

I'm not seeing the images for some reason. The medal is a $10-20 item. The Red Star starts at ~$50 but there are rare variations and the OPW2, if it's the '85 reissue is ~$25+. If it's not the reissue they start at over $100. with many variations.
      Thanks,
      Eric Gaumann

See: http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/orders...medals-771212/
      Collecting Soviet orders and medals.

Comment

Thanks all. I think I am going to pass on the OPW2 because I believe it to be reissue. I picked up the Victory medal for $25. Each Red Star was priced at $150 and I think that's too high, even though one was determined to be WWII issue and one right after. I had posted on WR as well which you linked because WAF was having so many problems last night.

Comment

Those Red Stars are far overpriced. $ 150 would be ok for both together, not for each star seperately.
          It is of course a possibility that all awards belong to the same person, but only research will tell. The wartime Red Star for wartime deeds, the second for very late war actions or even an out of range long service star and the veteran could've been awarded the OPW II in 1985. In that case that OPW II could be interesting for completing the set.
          But as said, those stars are just too expensive, especially without research included.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Banziger View Post
            Those Red Stars are far overpriced. $ 150 would be ok for both together, not for each star seperately.
            It is of course a possibility that all awards belong to the same person, but only research will tell. The wartime Red Star for wartime deeds, the second for very late war actions or even an out of range long service star and the veteran could've been awarded the OPW II in 1985. In that case that OPW II could be interesting for completing the set.
            But as said, those stars are just too expensive, especially without research included.
            Thanks for the insights on pricing. I'll see if I can haggle them down.

Comment

Originally posted by akriener View Post
              Thanks all. I think I am going to pass on the OPW2 because I believe it to be reissue. I picked up the Victory medal for $25. Each Red Star was priced at $150 and I think that's too high, even though one was determined to be WWII issue and one right after. I had posted on WR as well which you linked because WAF was having so many problems last night.
              Good decision, especially as it's the 1985 Issue. No Rivets on the back and the enamel kisses the Hammer & Sickle. Not possible if these were attached seperately.

Comment

I picked up the Victory medal for $25.
                That VoG medal has a very nice, early 2 piecesuspension on it. If you get addicted to Soviet awards you're gonna want as many of those as you can find.

Thanks,
                Eric Gaumann

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Gaumann View Post
                  That VoG medal has a very nice, early 2 piecesuspension on it. If you get addicted to Soviet awards you're gonna want as many of those as you can find.
                  What is so important about the two piece suspension? Clearly I know nothing about Soviet awards LOL. That's the challenge of these estate sales. When I find them they've usually started or start in a day or two so it's a scramble to get photos and information from sellers (if they're even willing to provide it) and then I have to put up a crap post to figure out the details of the items. I mean Google is fine for a high level understanding but it's difficult to do the nitty gritty research on a time crunch.

Comment

What is so important about the two piece suspension?
                    Two piece suspensions were used during the war and shortly after. I believe there is a general date for the change over to a one piece suspension but I don't remember off my head.
                    It all comes down to the collectors preference, I would prefer a two piece suspension but it isn't a deal killer for me.
                    Here is a recent thread with a bit more information on them:
                    https://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/for...nd-suspensions
                    Looking for Soviet orders and medals for my collection.

Comment

This is a very good link to those suspensions:

http://www.mondvor.narod.ru/Kolodki/FiveCornersKol.htm

Myself I also prefer the initial, double suspension on my medals. Best, with uncut connecting rings, but that is also a personal preference.

Comment

Great, thanks for sharing! Pieces were 25% off today. The lower serial Red Star sold yesterday, the higher serial one and the OPW2 both priced at $112.50 each today which obviously too expensive for the OPW2 even though I told them it was the reissue version. If they haven't sold today then they are 50% off tomorrow so it'd be $75 per piece, and if they still haven't sold then a "bid slip" system comes into play where it's basically best offer. I don't know if these remaining two have bid slips because they wouldn't tell me. I assume so, but the offers are somewhere between $75 and $112.50 for each. So not sure they're worth picking up for that.

Comment

Look somewhere else for such items. Simply too expensive here. A 1985 OPW II goes for some $ 25-35 and for around $ 45 including its original numbered award box. Only the rare variations with f.e. boxed serial numbers go for much more - which this one isn't.
                          For the high numbered Red Star I wouldn't pay more than around $ 50.

These prices asked clearly indicate the seller doesn't have a clue what he is selling.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Banziger View Post
                            Look somewhere else for such items. Simply too expensive here. A 1985 OPW II goes for some $ 25-35 and for around $ 45 including its original numbered award box. Only the rare variations with f.e. boxed serial numbers go for much more - which this one isn't.
                            For the high numbered Red Star I wouldn't pay more than around $ 50.

These prices asked clearly indicate the seller doesn't have a clue what he is selling.
                            Yes, he clearly does not. He had a EM/NCO Luftwaffe overseas/side cap missing the bullseye listed for $25 which I scooped up and an unmarked black wound badge for $15. Thanks for your advice!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                            X