• Show
Clear All

HPL2008,

Thanks again.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Gentlemen,

Lets look the DRK headgear that I have in my collection. First up, what appears to be an older M43 type cap in dark grey. It does not have any size markings but I estimate it to be a size 54. The makers label is of interest.
      Attached Files

Comment

I am going to have to stop here. Seems that I have a photo missing from the next cap I wish to post pictures of. See you tomorrow.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Yes; it is indeed an older cap.

Early post-war uniforms were of a dark charcoal-grey color and a fairly rough material. The caps still had the functional turn-up flap as seen here, which could be unbottened and folded down in cold weather.

On later ones (such as mine in post #16), the flaps and buttons were non-functional and purely decorative.
          Last edited by HPL2008; 03-07-2019, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Here's a closer look at that cap, showing the interior and the texture of the material (the first photo is a repeat):
            Attached Files

Comment

Just a few more odds and ends.

Duty position insignia (see posts no. 11 - 13) can also be found with an additional vertical stripe running through them. The color of the stripe identified the various specialties for personnel of Einsatzeinheiten [roughly "action units" or "field units"] in a similiar way to military branch color. Again, there were some differences between the various state-level organisations of the DRK and at least the BRK never used this type of badge at all (only the basic duty position insignia without the stripe).

I have just a few examples of those. Brown is for Betreuungsdienst [care service], blue for Sanitätsdienst [medical service] and white for Pflegedienst [nursing service]:
              Attached Files

Comment

Most of the insignia I have shown were either generic DRK patches or for the Bereitschaften. In addition to these "general" units, the German Red Cross also runs specialized Bergwacht [mountain rescue] and inland Wasserwacht [inland water rescue] services.

A Bergwacht badge on the left and a Wasserwacht one on the right:
                Attached Files
                Last edited by HPL2008; 03-08-2019, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Patches for the Wasserwacht of the DRK and the BRK.

The dark-blue embroidered patches are for wear on the dark blue suitcoat; the woven white patches are for wear on work-/sports clothing:
                  Attached Files

Comment

The Wasserwacht has its own extensive series of trade badges.

I can only illustrate one of those, the badge for a rescue diver [Taucher im Rettungsdienst].
                    Attached Files

Comment

The last one for now is the patch for the Bavarian Red Cross' youth organisation [Bayerisches Jugendrotkreuz].
                      Attached Files

Comment

HPL2008,

Really interesting badges. I was not aware that they existed until now. Thanks very much for posting them.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

HPL and Gordon,
                          Thanks for putting the spotlight on DRK items and I hope by doing so it will generate more interest by (new) collectors.
                          I already was onboard but it is close to impossible to sell DRK items here in Holland.
                          Just the other day I brought back a bundle of leather DRK zweidorn belts where the zweidorn buckle itself is in a adjustable postion on the belt and belt closure goes just like a regular koppelschloss closure with a hook wich fits into the metal zweidorn.
                          I had not seen that system before.
                          All the best,

Kees

Comment

Thanks for the comment!

I'm not familiar with this system, either; I have only ever seen them with the regular, fixed buckle.

The leather belt with the open double-claw buckle was worn with the grey service dress and the Einsatzanzug. A webbing belt could also be worn with the latter.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by HPL2008; 03-09-2019, 09:20 AM.

Comment

We've already touched upon the subject of headgear, so here's a closer look at the sidecap:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Kees has sent me pictures of the belt he mentioned in post # 42, so here it is.

The maker's mark says "A. Hergert Sanitätsausrüstungen Frankfurt/M" [i.e. Frankfurt am Main].
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                                X