X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gordon Craig
    replied
    Rhodesian Brush,

Here is what the filslaus tunic looked like as worn in the BW before modified for sale to civilians.

Regards,

Gordon
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Asbjoern
    replied
    No, the EVG uniform is much different ... the jacket you aquired was a jacket of the normal battle dress uniform invented in 1959 for the Bundeswehr, known as "Filzlaus" becaus of its scratchi fabric. Your jacket is not original, most possible it´s an product of the 80ies when tonns of them were phased out and resewn to match the demand of the civil market...

Jens

Leave a comment:

• Rhodesian Brush
    replied
    Originally posted by Gordon Craig View Post
    carpu65,

Before going any further I need to qualify what I said earlier. The uniform you asked about was not specifically designed for the Bundeswehr but came into being in 1952. Because of the advent of the Cold War, the U.S.A. suggested the formation of a west European State military. In German this was Europaischen-Verteidigungs Gemeinschaft (EVG). The West Germans were involved in this organization and designed a uniform based on the U.S. Armies battle dress. It was supposed to have been Khaki in colour. I know very little about this uniform other than it existed. Discussions on the singing of the agreement to form the EVG continued until 1954 and were then abandoned and instead NATO was formed in 1955. Pictures of the EVG uniform are shown below. They are from the book "Die Bundeswehr und ihre Uniformen - 30 Jahre Bekleidungsgeschichte" by Jorg-M. Hormann.
    The most common uniform in the first year or so of the Bundeswehr was the BGS uniform. To form the Bundeswehr all of the serving members of the BGS were given the opportunity to transfer from the BGS to the Bundeswehr. Approximately 50% of the BGS opted to transfer to the Bundeswehr.

Regards,

Gordon
    Is this the same type of uniform seen in the picture you posted?

Does anyone know more info about it?

I bought it earlier today in a thrift shop for $11.

Leave a comment:

• carpu65
    replied
    In mid 50s blue color was worn only from Police forces,and of course in a shade of blue-gray from Air Forces.
    None Army had blue uniforms,if not like full dress or parade attire (see for exemple to the blue uniform in British Army or in Us Army).

Leave a comment:

• angus1235
    replied
    Originally posted by Gordon Craig View Post
    carpu65,

I meant to get back to this thread earlier and expand upon my comments that the choice of grey was political.
    As you can see from my posts above, early choices would have been a Khaki uniform of some shade. When the Bunbeswehr uniforms were under design the Federal president made it quite clear that he did not wish any uniform design or colour to be used that would remind West Germany's new allies, who had been such a short time ago enemies, of German WWII uniforms. Therefore, any colour or design close to the Africa corps was out. Any colour or design that resembled the Wehrmacht "feldgrau" was out. So a four pocket tunic that evoked memories of the Wehrmacht that was a colour similar to the green shade of "feldgrau" used during WWII could not be used. That left black, which was a no no for obvious reasons or grey. Dark grey was worn for a while and then a lighter grey when they went back to a four pocket tunic and eventually the lighter grey that they wear today.
    I believe the choice of grey was influenced by the uniforms worn by the German forces during WWI. There were several shades of grey used then, which is where the use of the term "Feldgrau" first originated. To illustrate my point of view I have posted a picture of a German 1916 Litewka below. It is a light grey and is slightly on the blue side.

Regards,

Gordon
    why not blue?
    like either a royal blue or a navy blue... either would've been unrelated to the wehrmacht (except maybe the Kriegsmarine), and would've looked kickass

most people, due mostly to movies, think that the ss wore stone grey uniforms too, so wouldnt a stone grey colour remind people of this?

meh. anyway i think their uniforms look too civilian... i dont know if its just the cut of the collar/laupel, but it just looks too squared and ununiform.

Leave a comment:

• Collectinsteve
    replied
    Agreed! They even retained their WW2 type rank after the 1975/6 transition got rid of them from all other law enforcement services. IIRC they only moved to the star based system in 2002 or there abouts.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• stonemint
    replied
    Sometimes I have to do a double-take when looking at BGS pics--note the similiarity to the M-44 tunic--if this pic wasn't so close-up, one would think they were looking at WH troops:
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• stonemint
    replied
    Not to take this thread off on a tangent, but it seemed that the uniform philosophy was somewhat different for the BGS.

I am still amazed at the TR influence in their uniforms-- from the high peak of their visors; the use of the Adler on the peak; the 2-tone collar; and the M-35 style helmet:
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Collectinsteve
    replied
    I agree with Gordon that, for the most part, Western nations' post war uniforms are pretty similar and most don't have a lot of "bling" on them as a rule. US Army uniforms tend to be pretty heavy with badging as the Class A is worn with unit heraldry as well as individual achievements. But the uniform itself is pretty similar (and rather bland) just like all the others.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Gordon Craig
    replied
    angus1235,

"Why didnt gernany use blue? The old imperial uniform was blue, and they couldve used a dark blue-grey without too much political hassle, as well as looking badass.?"

You have sort of answered your own question here. The uniforms worn by the BW were designed by the Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Please note the word Republik. Germany has not had an imperial government since the Kaiser abdicated at the end of WWI. The Weimar Republic wore what they termed fieldgrey uniforms which were actually more green than grey. The TR a similar shade of green although by the end of WWII it was more of a brown shade than anything else. None of the uniform colours mentioned above would have been politically acceptable in the mid 1950s. Grey, a neutral colour, would not have offended the allies or the German people.

"I personally dislike bindeswehr uniforms as they arent very flashy etc. They look like some sortof cheap business suit. (No offence is intended to the bundeswehr,only to the people who chose that design)"

You are dealing with what was thought of in Germany as a "civilian" armed forces. Hence the civilian styling. Early BW uniforms did resemble some TR Wehrmacht uniforms but didn't last long. Probably because they had a much more military cut than the current four pocket tunics.
    A countries uniform styles change to conform to current civilian designs. It has ever been thus. They are also influenced by what other armed forces are wearing. The adoption of the beret by the BW is a prime example of this.
    The current four pocket dress tunic worn by the BW Heer and Luftwaffe are much the same as those worn by other armed forces around the world. As for being flashy, service dress uniforms should be utilitarian and not flashy. They are working clothes for those who are not involved in combat arms assignments.
    Like you, these are just my personal comments.

Regards,

Gordon

Leave a comment:

• angus1235
    replied
    Why didnt gernany use blue? The old imperial uniform was blue, and they couldve used a dark blue-grey without too much political hassle, as well as looking badass.
    I personally dislike bindeswehr uniforms as they arent very flashy etc. They look like some sortof cheap business suit. (No offence is intended to the bundeswehr,only to the people who chose that design)

Leave a comment:

• carpu65
    replied
    Please.is possible a translation from German to English of this text?
    Many thanks.

Leave a comment:

• carpu65
    replied
    Ranks of EVG.
    Are very similar to 1955-1956 ranks of the Bundeswehr.

Leave a comment:

• RamJet
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Gordon Craig
    replied
    Steve,

I appreciate the humour! We don't want to take ourselves too seriously here.

Regards,

Gordon

Leave a comment:

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
X