Early BGS Jaeger Load Carrying Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thomas J. Cullinane Jr. View Post
    Klaus - Here at last are those pictures of my early BGS mess tins that I've promised you during the last decade.

This first one is marked “MEWA 0-53” inside a Mewa trademark logo.

Now that I'm looking at it, I'm not even sure if it's BRD manufacture. I seem to recall MEWA as a Swiss company. The overall look could also pass for DDR manufacture, although the color and trademark don't seem right for an East German piece.

If it is BRD, perhaps it's a better fit for a non-federal police agency.

All the best - TJ
    TJ,

Here is a post from a thread on the WAF DDR Forum where we were discussing markings on zippers etc. Jon M., who made the post, specializes in tracing the names/trademarks of individul firms and is very knowledgeable in this field.

Regards,

Gordon

"Mewa could be several firms, for Mewa is a generic (?) term. Similar to "Zufa" which is short for Zuckerfabrik. Naturally there was more than one sugar factory in the GDR.

In essence Mewa, just speculation on my part, denotes how the company was industrially oriented....

Just found this in Großes Abkürzungsbuch 1985, page 291:
    "MEWA: Volkseigene Betriebe der Metallwarenindustrie"

The following came from "AFS" (Absenderfreistempel) on official company mail.......

Some Mewa Betriebe. (it is also quite likely that Mewa was used in the FRG)
    VEB Metallwarenwerk „Mewa“
    VEK MEWA Dresden
    VEB MEWA „E. Thälmann“ Werk I Suhl
    VEB MEWA Fahrzeug-u. Gerätewerk Simson, Suhl
    VEB MEWA Fortuna-Werk II Suhl
    VEB MEWA Jagdgewehr-u. Lehrenbau Werk III Suhl
    VEB MEWA Gebr. Merkel Werk IV Suhl
    VEB MEWA Lehrbetrieb „Geschwister Scholl“ Werk V Suhl
    VEB MEWA Metallschlauchwerk Zwickau
    VEB MEWA Nadelwerk Ichtershausen

Here are two photos from the entry for Zippers in Wer liefert was? 1971:
    Attached Images

Comment

Klaus,

Interesting colour on your Kochgeschirr. I suspect it is either THW or ZB but have no proof of this. I do have a ZB canteen with a green plastic cover that is marked for the ZB so they used other colours besides tan. I wouldn't be surprised at any colour I saw in use by a civil defence organization.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Klaus - I'm afraid your mess kit has me stumped as well. We saw earlier that the ZB used a white ABC mask, could this light color be an indicator for ZB use as well?

I don't recall any photographic evidence of light colored BGS mess tins in any of the early BGS field pictures posted by sgtmunroe and yourself. Any evidence on the BGS "old fighter" website? It would seem as though a light colored tin like this would be impractical for field use as it would compromise individual camouflage.

Gordon - Thanks much for posting the info from jon m. on my "problematic" mess tin. I'm on the west coast this week, but when I get back, I'm going to closely examine the "Mewa" mess tin for other indicators pointing to DDR manufacture.

Thanks again Gents,
        TJ

Comment

TJ,

Don't forget that Jon M.entioned that the term "MEWA" was probably used in the BRD as well. Enjoy the West coast. It has got to warmer there than where I am.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Gordon - I went from seven degrees to seventy (F); my head is still spinning.

I'm not looking forward to the cold weather waiting for me back home, but it will be fun to sort through the mystery mess tin issue and hopefully arrive at a concensus.

Thanks for holding down the fort.

All the best - TJ

Comment

The messtin is probably not BGS, but I am not convinced it is ZB. I have seen many ZB messtins before and they are not this colour. Also mind that camera flash makes it look lighter than reality.

We know early BGS messtins are also not dark green (any early dated that is dark green probably either Bepo or repaint). I would like to confirmt that early 1960s was when colour changes from olive to dark green though.

TJ:
              your ESB61 looks very strange with that tall lid. I had BGS-marked ESB63 (that I sold) with same handle loops on lower part, but lid short like other messkit in photo.

regards
              Klaus

Comment

Originally posted by Klaus1989 View Post
                The messtin is probably not BGS, but I am not convinced it is ZB. I have seen many ZB messtins before and they are not this colour. Also mind that camera flash makes it look lighter than reality.

We know early BGS messtins are also not dark green (any early dated that is dark green probably either Bepo or repaint). I would like to confirmt that early 1960s was when colour changes from olive to dark green though.

TJ:
                your ESB61 looks very strange with that tall lid. I had BGS-marked ESB63 (that I sold) with same handle loops on lower part, but lid short like other messkit in photo.

regards
                Klaus

Klaus - That would mean my BGS "coco" AND mess kit are both "unusual".

Why can't I ever find standard issue items like normal people?

All the best - TJ

Comment

I know its not truely fieldgear but does anyone own any old 1950s-60s Schokocola tins, they were issued with rations.

Would ration packs count as feild gear?

Regards,
                  Phil

Ooops I thought it was general feild gear and not just load carrying equipment

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                  X