Para Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oberbootsmann View Post
    Thanks to the two of you. I'm a little confused now. I've been searching the net for the last hour and was already convinced to see a GSG9 helmet as GranSasso says.

Regards, Matthias
    It is GSG9

Comment

To all,

This is the photo I was talking about with the BW markings.

Regards,

Gordon
      Attached Files

Comment

GSG-9 with BW liner as replacement?

I really regret not picking up a BW Fj helmet years and years ago when they were running about EUR 160. Bah.

Steve

Comment

Picked that one up at a fleamarket last weekend:
          Attached Files

Comment

They don't come in much better condition than that! Very nice find!

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Collectinsteve View Post
              They don't come in much better condition than that! Very nice find!

Steve
              Thanks Steve - but what is it? Is it a BW trial helmet? GSG9 shell but in BW oliv paint?

Comment

Repainted GSG9 helmet unfortunately... no Bw version had this type liner and chinstrap.

Comment

Originally posted by Klaus1989 View Post
                  Repainted GSG9 helmet unfortunately... no Bw version had this type liner and chinstrap.
                  Its not repainted

Comment

Originally posted by Gran Sasso View Post
                    Its not repainted
                    but it look like GSG9 helmet and liner and not seen them in this colour (look olive in the photos)... even you asked, if it was GSG9. It is not Bundeswehr.

Comment

Gran Sasso,

Interesting helmet. A couple of comments. BW helmets could not be worn with the chin cup. The BW strap was designed to fit under the chin and therefore wouldn't work with a chin cup. There are several pictures on thos thread that show that very well. Period pictures indicate that the GSG 9 did wear a chin cup on their helmet straps. I have never seen a BW helmet with brown chin straps. All of the ones that I have seen/handled have had grey chin straps. The BW did wear smooth surfaced blue and Khaki helmet and rough exterior brown helmets. As to what service to assign this helmet?

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

I agree that it is most likely GSG-9. I think there might be some variation in the helmets in detail. Here's a picture of one from Baer's book (posted by Gene T several pages ago):

Obviously we can't tell what the color is, but you can see that it is rough textured.

This got me curious so I dug out mine. It is in similar almost new condition and it has a stamp the same as the one Gordon posted a few posts ago. Mine is dated 1975. It rough textured and quite possibly the same color as Gran Sasso's, though perhaps not. Very difficult for me to assess due to the bright light conditions in Gran Sasso's pictures. Mine might be darker in color.

Steve

Comment

Interesting discussion so far, thanks!

2 more fotos taken outside - in bright sunlight, and in shadow without flash:
                          Attached Files

Comment

Yes, very interesting helmet ! I like it ! Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Klaus1989 View Post
                              Just found those markings - BW?:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Gran Sasso,

There is a good chance that this is a BW marking. I can not make out all of the numbers in the NATO stock number but if you can I suggest you enter the number into Google and see what comes up. I've had good success with this in the past.

Regards,

Gordon

Comment

Working...
                                X