ww2 shipbag British 1940

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ww2 shipbag British 1940

Any info sorounding the markings on this shipbag? British 1940 and broad Arrowhead stamp inside the bag.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

If I remember well these are Normandy invasion stripes. Read about it a month or 2 ago. Must look it up.

Nice bag 👍🏻

Comment

Thanks JanC fore info sorounding this bag😃
          Thats realy interesting info, can we pinpoint the marking to a unit, place and so on?

Comment

Infact it is the Preparation for Overseas Movement code (POM). This was used by the US Army to ease the shipping of items/ equipment/.... everything was put by color code.

Every unit had a 5 digit code. The colors represent a cypher (0 - 9).
            So the last digit matches the cypher of the middle color and the next to last digit matches the first and last color.

So in your case it means de 5 digit unit code ends with 40 ( dark brown = 0 and bright green = 4

Isn’t there a 5 digit code on the bag? So maybe I can track the unit.
            This must be at company level so yours will be the HQ company of somee unit.

Comment

Originally posted by JanC View Post
              Infact it is the Preparation for Overseas Movement code (POM). This was used by the US Army to ease the shipping of items/ equipment/.... everything was put by color code.

Every unit had a 5 digit code. The colors represent a cypher (0 - 9).
              So the last digit matches the cypher of the middle color and the next to last digit matches the first and last color.

So in your case it means de 5 digit unit code ends with 40 ( dark brown = 0 and bright green = 4

Isn’t there a 5 digit code on the bag? So maybe I can track the unit.
              This must be at company level so yours will be the HQ company of somee unit.

Thats realy interesting and you have done a great job finding this info���� i onely find a 4 digit code and longer than 5 digits on the bag. Do it have to be a 5 digit code?
              I hope you can help me further on pinpointing the unit and so on for this markings�� thank you JanC��
              Last edited by 1945; 03-25-2019, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
              X