Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake LRDG group on Regimentals website

Hello,

I would like to bring to the forums attention an obvious (to me) fake group on the Regimentals website, below...
    Attached Files
    I collect WWII special forces units. Especially those deployed in North Africa, Aegean & Mediterranean theatre. Also the WWI campaign in the Hejaz, Imperial Camel Corps, TE Lawrence & associates

Below the text of an email sent to Regimentals, also image of the original group.

"Something I need to bring to your attention is an obvious fake group on the Regimentals website. A frame containing photo, New Zealand titles, and LRDG cap badge.

The photo is a copy of the one I own, from a group, which was on a dealer website a year or two ago. The sitter is a REME Corporal Duggan, who definitely was not a New Zealander, also the LRDG badge in the frame is a common fake.
    The frame was in an auction recently and has been ridiculed on the British Badge Forum website.

The Duggan group I own comprises two original photographs, document regarding the Mention in Despatches to Duggan, a document issued by the LRDG to Duggan detailing kit issued him, MID oak leaf, metal Articifer trade badge, two original brass LRDG headdress badges. I bought it several years ago from Paul Laidlaw of WD Militaria, an image of the group was on his website and I suspect this is how the faker obtained the image to make a copy.

I attach an image of the real Duggan group. I am interested to hear what Regimentals have to say..."

I will keep the forum updated with any response, Keith

Sent from my iPad
    Attached Files
    I collect WWII special forces units. Especially those deployed in North Africa, Aegean & Mediterranean theatre. Also the WWI campaign in the Hejaz, Imperial Camel Corps, TE Lawrence & associates

Comment

Interesting, what auction was it for sale at? Do you know the seller?
      Well done
      Dom

Comment

Well done Keith, can you bump the thread on the Brit badge forum please as I could not find it in a search?

J

Comment

Good eye Keith!
          My Meager Collection: http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=464072

Comment

The fake group was originally in C&T Auctions.

Sorry I don't know who the vendor was.

Keith

Comment

Good spot Keith
              Greg

Comment

Unfortunately no surprises here.

A lot of bad stuff going through C&T which is a shame.

BUT what you have to remember is like may dealers I do not believe Regimentals have known about this at the time of purchase and I don't think anything bad was intended by them.

Comment

Hi Jack,

I take your point, but I am not accusing Regimentals as being complicit in the deception.

However, they have not been totally truthful with the description by inferring the group has been purchased from an established collection, when it actually came from an auction.

Their response to my email is important. Also will they correct the description or remove the item, let's wait and see.

Keith

Comment

Can't find it there but they write that they're at the Kassel Show.
                    Let's see if they bring it for sale.

Comment

Link: http://www.regimentals.co.uk/viewpho...h=64676&phqu=4

Comment

Has he bothered to reply yet?

Comment

Item description reads "no solid provenance linking the items together"

I'm not defending or supporting them but it seems they have been as honest as they can here?

Comment

It's here for posterity in case it 'disappears'...

"WWII NEW ZEALAND LRDG INSIGNIA.
                            An absolutely magnificent and ultra rare set of insignia, this consists of a pair of undoubtedly original New Zealand embroidered epaulette slides. These are completely typical of many of the existing examples being black wool with good quality hand embroidered 'New Zealand' mounted upon khaki drill slips. Completing the unit is a well toned LRDG scorpion badge. Also with this set is a period image of an LRDG trooper being a New Zealander and wearing the black beret with the scorpion badge. The picture is an original postcard and has New Zealand details including a Cairo photographer opposite the New Zealand Forces Club. Any LRDG example must be considered ultra rare and to find a beautifully framed example with an original photo is rare, however we cannot guarantee that this is the original owner as there is no solid provenance linking the items together, but they did come from the same source being a high level collector.

Code: 64676 Price: 975.00 GBP"

Comment

Well, I click on the link provided above and it is still for sale. So, are they still trying to sell it as an original grouping? Because if they are then they are taking the mickey.
                              Dom

Comment

Working...
                              X