A Few of my British Sun/Pith Helmets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter_Suciu View Post
    I am happy to share them here as I trust the membership. I posted a photo of the Airtube on Facebook and some guy went off and made copies. I'm not exactly upset about that part... it is that he then used my photos to sell his copies and couldn't understand why I was mad! Then a ton of people came to his defense on Facebook and made it seem like I was the villain for being mad. I am all about sharing my knowledge and experience. I don't want my research to stay hidden. I'm happy to share, but this latest debacle has turned me to sharing on social media.
    I saw the interaction and left the group.

Using your pics was fine as long as he credited you for the images at the least. and should probably have asked your permission to share them

Comment

Originally posted by Bond View Post

I saw the interaction and left the group.

Using your pics was fine as long as he credited you for the images at the least. and should probably have asked your permission to share them
      I resolved the issue with the other party. I agreed he could use my images going forward as long as they are credited to me.

Comment

Great collection of pith helmets! I'm really drawn to the Boer War Artillery for some reason! Atmospheric maybe? I've had many Home Service helmets over the years but, never a Foreign service that I was convinced was untouched.
        Thanks,
        Rigsby

Comment

As the others have said, those are lovely helmets. I've never seen the near-mythical airpipe before and the Artillery one is superb, reminds me of that huge painting they used to have in the NAM of crossing the Tugela where IIRC that flash was depicted. But is that last one definitely sola pith? I've had the Indian-made wicker-framed ones and they looked very like that.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bonnell View Post
            As the others have said, those are lovely helmets. I've never seen the near-mythical airpipe before and the Artillery one is superb, reminds me of that huge painting they used to have in the NAM of crossing the Tugela where IIRC that flash was depicted. But is that last one definitely sola pith? I've had the Indian-made wicker-framed ones and they looked very like that.
            I've actually seen TWO airtubes in my life. Chris Mills in London showed me the Indian made one he had when I visited London in 2007. Unfortunately Mr. Mills is unwilling to share his helmets online. Rare helmets indeed.

And yes, the K-Pattern is sola pith and it feels like there is a bit of a wicker frame to hold the pith to shape.

Comment

have you got any great war wolseley's you can share Peter, particularly pics of the underneath, the sweatband mounts and wd stamps, especially if you have any 1917 or 1918 dated examples, though any would be great to see.

Comment

Very interesting Peter , thanks for showing these very fine helmets

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                X