Sleeping Bag Liner????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sleeping Bag Liner????

Ive had this for years, always considered it to be a sleeping bag liner, only today whilst taking photos did i realize that there was no opening to either end. The size is ''body'' size and one end is smaller than the other as one would expect for a sleeping bag but all stitching is factory done and it would appear to have never been tampered with, any info would be great if members have seen one before
    Attached Files

I've 35 yrs service (and counting) under my belt but have NEVER seen one of these before. I cannot imagine what it might be - no stamps I take it?

Comment

Originally posted by Seigfried View Post
      I've 35 yrs service (and counting) under my belt but have NEVER seen one of these before. I cannot imagine what it might be - no stamps I take it?
      No markings that I can find, pity. The material reminds me of something produced in the 30's/40's , if I hadn't been thinking of passing this on then it would have always been the ""sleeping bag liner" in the box and of course I would have always believed there was an opening at the top, now it's to be known as "the mystery in the box"

Comment

I hate to suggest it and maybe the material makes it unlikely, but, a body bag?

Comment

Originally posted by peter monahan View Post
          I hate to suggest it and maybe the material makes it unlikely, but, a body bag?

I considered that, but you need good access when putting a corpse into a bag. I also thought about a mattress cover but again the side access would make this really awkward.

Comment

It's hard to tell what it is from the pictures. The tie-downs wouldn't make much sense if you had to take a piss at 2 AM. I've never seen or heard of anyone getting a liner issued. I bought my own commercially made one. I would discount the body bag since they are immigrated with rubber to prevent bodily fluids from leaking out.

Comment

Maybe it is a 'palliasse'.

Marc

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Sherriff View Post
                Maybe it is a 'palliasse'.

Marc

Marc, would make sense, its the shape that would make think diffrently, in the last photo please notice one end is smaller than the other, almost body shape, head and feet

Comment

Or, as suggested, a mattress cover - for an odd shaped mattress. Those would not be removed / put on often, so side ties would not be an issue and putting the ties across the bottom means that if they untie the cover creeps up on the mattress. We have duvet covers with the opening going down half of one long side for that reason. Paliasse makes sense.

Comment

Cold weather sleeping bag liner. Would be my guess.

The Canaina Army had a 4 part system.

Bag, Outer Shell, Inner Shell and Liner.

Though this does not look like any one I have ever seen. The straps would be facened to eylets on the bag not to each other.

Comment

Makes sense. Still a bugger to get in and out of. I have a friend who served in SE Asia with the US 101st and never ever zipped up his sleeping bag no matter what the weather.

Comment

I had one of these and I'm convinced that it is a palliase or straw matress. Straw to be inserted through the opening and once filled, closed by the straps.

A lot of armies used straw matresses at the time.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                        X