M4 Sherman "Jumbo"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M4 Sherman "Jumbo"

In anticipation of combat on the continent in 1944, a decision was made to produce a variant of the M4 Sherman that would incorporate additional armor, particularly on the front of the hull, and a more heavily armored turret.
    This variant, nicknamed "Jumbo," was based upon M4s with the early suspension system, VVSS, in lieu of the later suspension system, Easy 8.
    Originally armed with a 75mm cannon firing high explosive shells, a number of field units retrofitted their Jumbos with 76mm cannons firing high velocity shells.
    Approximately 250 Jumbos were built.
    Attached Files

Nice job on the model. Here is a pic of them. No one is looking happy for the cameraperson.
    Attached Files

Comment

Nicely done Tim, and thanks for the info on the "Jumbo", something I didn't know. And thanks for the image BB75.

Lou
      My Collection: http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=860720

Comment

Tim,

Nice one. The tools look very realistic.

I also wasn't aware of the "Jumbo" variant.

Mike

Comment

You can see on the model and on the first tank in the period photo that they both have "grousers" ( small extenders on the outside of the tracks ) which were added to spread out the increased weight of this up armored tank; ie: decrease the ground pressure.

Comment

Come on Tim, you can't post a model in the Model Forum and not tell us the kit and scale. Nice build by the way
            Scott

"Frogs and locusts? Wouldn't that just be a plague of fat frogs?"

Comment

This model is 1/35th scale - that scale is large enough for reasonable detail without taking up too much shelve space or costing too much money.
              Also, in this scale, the soldiers are the right size to make painting details on them worth the effort.

Comment

Really Great looking !!!!! Tom

Comment

Love the Sherman.
                  All the best,
                  David
                  ---------------------------
                  Herrgeezer's War Room

Comment

Well executed, Tim - here's mine - I need to extract the digit and finally weather it...

Don
                    Attached Files
                    "Der Führer vasn't a mousy little momma's boy - Der Führer vas Butch!" - Will Ferrell in The Producers

Comment

Don, the easy but slow way to show field use on your tank is to simply let it sit for awhile and gather real dust.

Comment

"Cobra King", a M4A3E2 "Jumbo" of the 4th Armored Division was the first tank to break the encirclement of Bastogne. It was previously damaged and repaired in the dash across France. It also took part in the Hammelburg Raid as part of Task Force Baum, where it was damaged and abandoned. This historic vehicle is going to be the centerpiece of the new National Museum of the United States Army.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ilt-around-it/

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                        X