1/16 Henglong Tiger 1 Upgrade - Early to Late War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1/16 Henglong Tiger 1 Upgrade - Early to Late War

So I was sitting around pondering what my next model build would be when I looked at my early Henglong 1/16 scale Tiger 1 sitting on a shelf. It then came to me that I have always wanted to upgrade the tank and convert it into a late model Tiger 1. So let the build begin......

My first step was to disassemble the tank, remove all the electronics, and then strip all the components from the exterior. I will then begin the rebuild and conversion into a late model Tiger 1, replacing most components with metal. The following will be replaced with metal: the entire turret, barrel and mantle, all road wheels, drive wheels, tracks and suspension. All exterior accessories (such as tools/boxes), engine cover grate decking, deck handles, hatches, exhausts, towing clamps, cables, jack, as well as adding custom hand built accessories such as tie down straps etc. I will also be hand replacing the weld beads in the turret, adding zimmerit to the exterior all around and repainting in a late 1944 camo scheme.

This will be a big project, but once complete, I will be upgrading the electronic components from version 5.3 to 6.1 which will allow me to swap out the barrel with a full recoil, bb firing cannon, elevation and recoil unit, as well as smoke units. Here is a before picture and a now at present picture and I will be updating this thread as I progress through the build.

Cheers

Marcus

Before Picture:

89DE29A3-9DBC-4FBF-B420-1D005E04AE01.jpeg

Now Picture:

D2F5ACFF-8B07-4630-A553-3000345CD5D9.jpeg
    Last edited by mevm36; 11-19-2020, 11:45 PM.
    “On the battlefield, the military pledges to leave no soldier behind. As a nation, let it be our pledge that when they return home, we leave no veteran behind.” – Dan Lipinski

Latest update - Coaxial machine gun build and install.

So today I fitted the new metal barrel and mantle into the BB firing and elevation unit as well as modified a flash emitting machine gun from RC Dynasty to fit as a coaxial machine gun in the mantle. This involved separting the brass barrel from the ball joint, cutting it down to the proper length using a small sized tube cutter, reattaching to the ball mount and then installing. I will be wiring this to the hull mounted machine gun which is the same gun provided by RC Dynasty. This will allow both machine guns to emit the flash when being fired simultaneously.

Marcus

E4FB2D24-F33A-4D3B-8ECD-D49C7C9E28C0.jpeg

64544297-107F-41BB-AF73-CFD60FF4A94E.jpeg
    1C3F098D-E81F-4D28-B4ED-3840BB763F28.jpeg

B18681D8-942F-4B83-A1E4-1A9A26F9F065.jpeg

35E430C2-F04F-4B5D-BA29-9B076FFDE258.jpeg

E75BBB2E-6A6E-4E3A-996D-705E3FD3310E.jpeg
    Last edited by mevm36; 11-20-2020, 10:09 PM.
    “On the battlefield, the military pledges to leave no soldier behind. As a nation, let it be our pledge that when they return home, we leave no veteran behind.” – Dan Lipinski

Comment

I'm intrigued to see how the muzzle flashes work

Comment

So today I decided to do a little work on the engine cover plate on the rear hull. In March of 1943 (before the cupola change)a triangular plate appeared on the rear deck and was designed to allow access for engine component adjustments without needing to open the large engine hatch." Its odd that this design was installed but may be explained as an easier access method when the Feifel air cleaners were attached.

The two pictures below show the rectangular access plate installed on engine covers of Tigers:

B1C6B3AE-1B70-4711-8746-821B6A0893E3.jpeg

D61F65F4-A457-4606-A9C2-BC174184FCAC.jpeg
        1F10E6AF-8A1C-4EBA-AC6D-0D6C8B9A422F.jpeg

To make this modification, first I had to very careful cut off the hatch closer, remove the antennae (which will be relocated) and then sand and fill areas where components were removed and relocate the hatch closer to the starboard side to allow the triangular plate to be installed. In this image you can see the antennae, hatch closer and filler port that needs to be sanded off.

16031BA8-27C2-4E20-A4F2-00C73D9B622F.jpeg

Removing the hatch latch actually took me approximately 3 hours as I had to use an exacto blade and basically cut my way through the base of the latch and through the base of the latch base itself. I found that I had to separate the latch hook from its stem and then cut the stem off near the base so I was removing two separate pieces. Once removed. I tossed the latch as it basically was useless and then constructed a new latch, attached it to the base and reseated it in the proper position. Next, I created a template of the engine hatch cover plate, and used this template to create the new cover plate out of 2mm plastic sheet. Once this was completed I placed it in the correct location

The final look:

93B80818-C9BF-43DE-9B86-D76857D93BFF.jpeg
        09D508AC-9DAF-420D-9625-5E601AF248B8.jpeg

So after I completed the relocation I sprayed the area with a coat of primer which brings out the imperfections in the decking. I find this gives the appearance of metal plate that has been worn through use and age. I also like to leave a few of the imperfections such as where I sanded off the filler port as this gives the metal decking a bit of character. It is not for everyone, but once the final painting, and aging is completed this gives the metal a truer look rather than a brand new look.

Anyhow, I have much more work to do on the upper decking, adding the tiedown wingnuts along with their associated clamps for the tools, cabling, jack etc. I have ordered aber 1/16 wingnuts and will be scratch making all the clamps using 1.125mm plastic square rod. Once completed this will give the decking a much truer look. Also I will be hand making the barrel rods on each side along with their cradle and clamps. I am still awaiting my Zimmerit kit as well, so I will see how that turns out. Great fun!

Cheers,

Marcus
        Last edited by mevm36; 11-23-2020, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Todays Update - Rear turret lifting lug

Well today I spent the better part of 4 hours fabricating and installing the rear turret lifting lug. As you know, the TIger 1 turret had 3 lifting points for attachment to lift and remove the turret. Two of these were on the port and starboard side ot the.turret adjacent to the mantlet, and the other was on the rear of the turret, in a space between the stowage bins. Also, on the Henglong tiger, and on the Mato metal turret, this lug is missing as well, the gap for the lug, is almost non-existant. SOOO, I carefully drilled a guide hole through the metal between the two sides of the bin, and then hand filed the space true and the appropriate dimensions. I then fabricated and extension and floor to the space to make it correct. Next, I fabricated a new lug, using the dimensions of the two existing lugs on the sides of the turret as a guide. I used a nail head which had to be ground down to match the size of the existing lug and then mounted it to a piece of plastic tubing in which I had a small guide nail inserted into for attachment in the turret. All in all, not to bad. Here are two pics....

My fabricate lifting lug,,,,,

F6886452-AF8E-4BF0-A127-42AB4912EFB4.jpeg

And finally installed,,,,

A16231A5-9EE8-409D-928A-4B7F7A9C8A22.jpeg
          Last edited by mevm36; 11-23-2020, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Awesome so far. Post a video of the guns firing when they're done!
            WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Update....

So one thing that. was REALLY annoying me was that the rear turret lift lug was 1mm off centre when I fixed it in place. Well this was not acceptable to I took some time to remove and reposition it in the correct centre of the rear turret. Here is a pic of it re-centred:

DB78D238-2EEA-4D86-A92C-3EC9438E2457.jpeg

The next thing was to fill and grind the holes in the turret fore top where the smoke launchers were attached and at the rear where the turret fan was removed. Right now it looks a bit messy, however with some fine sanding and once primed will look good. Also note that the eight counter-sunk bolts for the gun travel lock on the turret roof were punched in the wrong position behind the bend. I created a template using the old plastic turret roof as a guide, and then filled the back four bolt positions and drilled out four new bolt positions in the correct location. Again with some very fine sanding and an bit more work, this will look great....

3DE52E75-27CD-4339-91CD-0C006031A2A8.jpeg

Another small piece I am working on is the 15T lifting jack mounted to the rear right side of the tank. I am adding small details which are all handmade such as the lifting handle, crank handle, base plate and rivets to make it look more realistic. This is another work in progress:

F586B2D2-53A7-4BA2-B1CB-F2B2791156BA.jpeg

08CC862C-4C46-4753-A222-C43F94E40265.jpeg

Much Much more to follow..........

Comment

After 4 hours of work today on the jack, it is almost complete. Considering this is for a Henglong, I’m not going to go overboard on it. I just want to add a little more detail and dimension to the jack so that when it is finally painted and weathered, it will add more detail to the tank.

Marcus

88B63656-EE64-49DA-9DCA-D1EB79ABC981.jpeg

843DFFC5-04C6-48E9-8D43-2C5E4337E004.jpeg

D5A64CD3-B2C6-4AE6-8061-4D5263505BCF.jpeg
                Last edited by mevm36; 11-28-2020, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Todays update:

Spent a little time today on the turret once again. First I started off by increasing the thickness of the turret sides at the front where the mantlet fits. Looking at original photos one can see that the turret thickness is substantial in this area. To reproduce this, I cut the exact plate from my plastic turret, affixed it to the metal turret and filed it to shape. I have to yet reduce the thickness by perhaps 1mm to obtain the correct look.

33C19CD2-8D4C-44EF-816F-70E222CB0824.jpeg

Once I have reduced the thickness of the plate, I can use liquid plastic to fill any gaps and then eventually zimmerit will be added to these locations once the turret sides have the zimmerit applied. Also, today I pre-drilled the guide holes for the turret track hangers which will also be applied at the same time as the zimmerit to ensure the correct look, The turret is a work in progress, however I am fairly confident the final product will be fantastic.

7E84FDA3-5978-42D1-97A6-AE6505074226.jpeg
                  75EFBB13-FE72-46C2-8C09-706BE5C73E71.jpeg

I am hoping that I receive the remainder of the metal parts required for the turret early this week which includes the mid/late style cupola and all the top vents. I also will be fabricating the interior detail of each of the hatches. This will be fun as the parts are very tiny. All in all a very slow process but in the end well worth it.
                  Last edited by mevm36; Yesterday, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Turret track hanger detail....

So I decided that instead of purchasing the Schumo detailed track holders, I would add some detail to my existing track holders which are the older version without detail. This was a process to say the least as I had to hand drill two guide holes for the hinge handles, drill two side holes to simulate the hinge pin, and add groves in the top to simulate the hinge. All in all fhe first one after an hour did not turn out to badly, and the second better than the first. I am happy with the result as really, this adds more detail and is so tiny, that unless you are looking extremely closely and carefully, you would not notice that these are added modifications to the existing track hangers.

My first attempt:

85488C13-45B8-43E4-A4B1-B37819CC1639.jpeg 02461D10-3AE8-4CAF-8C62-BB08B4C5F048.jpeg

D117BF4D-BF28-4174-9261-492EFACF23BD.jpeg

My second attempt which I think turned out a little better than the first,,,,,

402943CF-16E1-4CB0-97EA-72F123DEF1B4.jpeg

739A5971-561B-40D7-9B37-2E0A5494E1C6.jpeg

A536414C-FEF4-4E7E-8F99-4B8ED41BBF33.jpeg
                    FAB3BDC1-E827-4042-8C11-D68925C293DB.jpeg

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                    X