No announcement yet.

1:72 Type VII/C 41 U-Boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U-995’s last war patrol – Her last and 9th patrol during WWII was in the Barents Sea just off the Soviet Kola Peninsula. U-995 left Narvik, Norway, on 13.3.45 and Hess attacked the Allied convoy JW-65 and destroyed a US freighter Horace Bushnell of 7.176 tons on 21.3.45. U-995 put in to Harstad on 25.3.45 and left the next day for Trondheim Norway to have the schnorchel fitted. However, Germany surrendered to the Allies and the war ended on 8.5.45. In Trondheim, U-995 was surrendered on 8.5.45 and decommissioned there. On 1.12.52, U-995 entered the service of the Royal Norwegian Navy as the KNM Kaura with pennant No. S309. It should be noted that U-995 is now a museum U-Boat and she was highly modified to be presentable to the public. The museum cleaned up the internal pressure hull and the exterior and, in some instances, as noted in this book; things were much different in the wartime U-Boat. The most obvious changes to the upper exterior; the removal of the schnorchel exhaust line and shut-off valve that extended above the deck on the starboard side, the removal of the schnorchel locking pin drive mechanism below the bridge spray deflector on the front port side, and U-995 now has a schnorchel floating valve head, but originally had a ring floating valve head. U-995 never had a schnorchel during the war. She came back from her last war patrol in March 1945 to have a schnorchel installed and was almost ready by the end of April. Thus, she never had a schnorchel during WWII. Many model builders have taken great effort to include the rain gutters on the lower leading and trailing edge of the saddle tanks that extend to the entrance and exit doors for the public. It’s fairly obvious, if you have read this book; you do not need rain gutters below the water line on a U-Boat!

Comment

Don.
      Here is the schnochelsystem, the yellowpart of the exhaust is protruding up on the casingdeck to allow place for the valvespindles of the exhaustblowing panel inside the pressurehull in the controlroom.
      Tore
      Attached Files

Comment

Remove post...
        Last edited by Don Prince; 07-01-2020, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Hi Don,

I absolutely respect Mr. Tore however one cannot base a conclusion on a very grainy photo and decisively identify this boat as U995 based upon a ringfloat on the top of the mast. Albeit that this photo does show something at this location, I am not convinced this is indeed the so called bend on U-995 in this photo. I do know that U995 underwent several modifications very late in the war and ultimately before going into service after the war underwent a major overhaul to update and modify her for continued service. I think at that, we will have to agree to disagree.

Respectfully to you and Mr. Tore

Marcus

Originally posted by Don Prince View Post
          Hello Marcus.
          "Don.

In may 1945 U 995 was installing her schnorchel at the submarine base in Trondheim, here is an image showing the final stage of the installation with the airelbow in the casing is protruding out from the casingside, this is the only part of the snorkel air inlet pipe out side the casing, the remainder was inside. Remark the float on the top of the mast has a ringfloat whereaes the present museums U-995 has a hingefloat.

Tore"

Marcus, Mr. Tore was the Engineering Office onboard U-995 in the early 50's...

Don_
          Last edited by mevm36; 06-30-2020, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Best of luck...
            Don_
            Last edited by Don Prince; 07-01-2020, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Last edited by Don Prince; 07-02-2020, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Hello Marcus,

I along with Mr. Tore Berg-Nielsen, the late Maciej Florek, Simon J. Morris, and Mark Hessburg created "Skizzenbuch: U-Boat Type VII C Project" which is a highly graphic book that attempts to translate and explain the original German mechanical and electrical schematics. This book is available for all to download free on the Wehrmacht-Awards.com in the Kriegsmarine badge section. As with any book, more information becomes available after the book release. I am in the process of creating an Addendum Booklet and so far I have about 40 pages of information. I plan on releasing the Addendum Booklet near the end of this year. As always, I would like to credit the individuals who have brought new information. I believe your first name is Marcus and according to your profile you live in Canada. If you would like to provide me with your last name, then I can properly credit you with the information about the "Drip Line" in the Addendum Booklet...
                Kind Regards,
                Don_

Comment

That is amazing. Thank you for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by Don Prince View Post
                    Hello Marcus,

I along with Mr. Tore Berg-Nielsen, the late Maciej Florek, Simon J. Morris, and Mark Hessburg created "Skizzenbuch: U-Boat Type VII C Project" which is a highly graphic book that attempts to translate and explain the original German mechanical and electrical schematics. This book is available for all to download free on the Wehrmacht-Awards.com in the Kriegsmarine badge section. As with any book, more information becomes available after the book release. I am in the process of creating an Addendum Booklet and so far I have about 40 pages of information. I plan on releasing the Addendum Booklet near the end of this year. As always, I would like to credit the individuals who have brought new information. I believe your first name is Marcus and according to your profile you live in Canada. If you would like to provide me with your last name, then I can properly credit you with the information about the "Drip Line" in the Addendum Booklet...
                    Kind Regards,
                    Don_
                    Hi Don,

I am honored and very appreciative. My full name is Marcus von Minden

Regards

M.

Comment

Hello Marcus,

I found a very old photo of U-995 on the Subcommittee.com website as compared to the present photo...

Regards,
                      Don_
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hello Marcus,

After blowing up the image. It looks like they welded small rectangular patches over the drainage slots. Then later decided to cut the drainage slots into the outer casing and then added the gutters...

Regards,
                        Don_
                        Attached Files

Comment

Don,

It would be interesting to see in a chronological pictorial view all of the modifications made to U995 since being surrendered after the war. It is obvious that many modifications were made. The small rectangular patches appear (and I am not positive) to be angle outwards at a slight angle to allow for drainage. To me it would seem irregular to weld these patches flush, thereby covering the existing drainage, only to remove them later. Your thoughts?

Marcus

Comment

Hello Marcus,

Mr. Tore noted that the outer casing is currently welded onto U-995 where the original outer casing was riveted in place. My best guess is originally they welded pieces of metal strips to the pressure hull leaving a drainage gap between them. Then they riveted the outer casing in place and bead welded the lower ends of the casing to the metal strips and thus creating the drainage slots. When U-995 was re-furbished they removed the rusted outer casing and welded thinner sheet metal in its place and then patched the drainage holes with the rectangular pieces of metal; That was a screw-up! So they cut drainage holes into the thin outer casing above the weld line and then attached the gutters. I don't believe they removed the rectangular metal patches on the weld line.

Regards,
                            Don_

Comment

Working...
                            X