Wingnut Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wingnut Wings

Is it true that Wingnut Wings is permanently closing down? I know the prices of their kits has almost doubled on evilbay but I attributed that to just the dealers having low stock due to the covid virus and international shipping.

Found my answer:

Wingnut Wings Update

by Dave Wilson

Sad news from New Zealand today indicates Wingnut Wings has been closed down permanently and its assets are to be sold off.

Details are yet to be publicly disclosed but it’s understood staff have been informed they no longer have jobs at Wingnuts, and all assets- the moulds etc- are to be disposed of.

Wingnuts, which was begun by Sir Peter Jackson in 2009, has like many NZ businesses been locked down recently due to the coronavirus shutdowns there.

The business issues affecting the decision to close the business permanently are not yet known but are not thought to be entirely due to the Covid 19 issue

Comment

That's very sad if true. Their website news only mentions suspending orders due to the virus.

I was particularly looking forward to them releasing two Fokker DR1 kits.

Mike

Comment

Noooo! Please say it's not true. Feels like I have been waiting for ever for their Dambuster kit to drop...

Comment

Sadly true. built many nice Wingnuts WWI planes
          will miss them and was waiting for the triplane Dr1 to be released.....but maybe it will never

Comment

I just e-mailed WNW and received an auto-reply advising that they'll be in touch when in a position to resume sales.

I hope that this can be interpreted positively.

Mike

Comment

WnW

Mike

I did that several weeks ago. I used to have an account with them but I notice the link to log into it is now missing.

What I am kicking myself for is that Weta Workshop had their Wingnut kits discontinued cheap, like $166 for the Felixstowe or $59 for the regular kits cheap. I went to buy several at the end of March and the entire Wingnut section was deleted. Weta said they returned them all, which I found odd as it was about the same time WnWs closed. I really wanted to try to build that early Felixstowe too.

Mark

Comment

Hopefully someone will buy the injection molds or casting molds, re-brand, and tool up. I regret not picking up an Albatross D.V now. At 1/32 scale it would've been a centerpiece.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Swan View Post
                  That's very sad if true. Their website news only mentions suspending orders due to the virus.

I was particularly looking forward to them releasing two Fokker DR1 kits.

Mike
                  Mike

It looks like you won't have long to wait for the DR1. Meng is releasing that kit under their name in September. Price is about $65, which is cheap compared to WnWs!

Screenshot_20200709-151009~2.png ​​​​​​​

Comment

I'm waiting with great anticipation. And also for many custom decal sheets. I noted with interest an opinion on a modelers' forum that Meng in fact produced WNW's mold dies.

Thanks for the heads-up, Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                    X