Ratisbons

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Massive German Grave unearthed in Russia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headeast
    replied
    Thank you much for the explanation!

I always wondered how you could tell who the actual soldier was

good info!

Leave a comment:

• Admiraal
    replied
    Originally posted by headeast View Post
    So very interesting and sad

Can someone explain how you read a german dog tag? I didn't see any names etc. How would they match up the ID to a name?

And would families at this date have been tried to be reached to inform?

thanks
    German dogtags have a complicated identification system.
    During the mobilization of 1939 every soldier was issued one. The unit the soldier was in at that moment was stamped on the dogtag. So soldiers from 1st Company of Infantry-Regiment 3 would have something like: 1./I.R.3. Also stamped on the dogtag was a sequence number. So the first soldier receiving a dogtag in the unit received number 1. The 14nd soldier number 14, etc. This number in combination with the unit on the dogtag was unique and identified the soldier. The units would send a list with the names and the dogtag inscriptions back to (i believe an office in) Berlin to be archived. This is different compared to the US system of one large unique number to each soldier.

Soldiers that enlisted in the army after the mobilization received their dogtag from their training/replacement unit on the same way as above.
    When a soldier lost his dogtag he would receive a new one from the unit he was in at that moment (so the unique dogtag inscription of the soldier would change). This could be a field unit or replacement unit. Ofcourse this info was then send to Berlin to be changed and archived. Every field unit had a bunch of pre-stamped dogtags as reserve for lost dogtags.

This is why most of the dogtags you see have pre-mobilisation or training/replacement units stamped on them.
    Dogtags with inscriptions of units created late-war are replacement dogtags.
    The above explanation applies for Army/SS dogtags.
    Last edited by Admiraal; 11-04-2019, 07:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• headeast
    replied
    So very interesting and sad

Can someone explain how you read a german dog tag? I didn't see any names etc. How would they match up the ID to a name?

And would families at this date have been tried to be reached to inform?

thanks

Leave a comment:

• dutchcollector
    replied
    thanks for sharing, really impressive. horrible wounds were inflicted on those bodies...

Leave a comment:

• squidney86
    replied
    Very cool video. Thank you for posting. Anyone have any idea as to why some would have been buried belly down compared to up?

Sydney

Leave a comment:

• N.C. Wyeth
    replied
    Originally posted by rajko84 View Post
    This is in Croatia not Russia.
    My mistake - Sorry.
    The title of the topic, "Massive German Grave unearthed in Russia" was certainly self-evident in that respect.

Leave a comment:

• VtwinVince
    replied
    About time the German government is taking an interest in repatriating those who fought for it.Of course there are mass graves all over Europe, so they need to step it up, especially in places such as the Czech Republic and other areas that were ethnically cleansed.

Leave a comment:

• rajko84
    replied
    Originally posted by N.C. Wyeth View Post
    Well, we have to remember it is in Russia. My experience in many places East of Germany seems to be that communities really don't want to talk about what was there before - let alone talk about it. Poland was a real eye-opener in this respect.
    This is in Croatia not Russia.

Leave a comment:

• N.C. Wyeth
    replied
    Originally posted by o.r.k. View Post
    Strange that the community didn't remember what there was before. (Or didn't care) .
    Well, we have to remember it is in Russia. My experience in many places East of Germany seems to be that communities really don't want to talk about what was there before - let alone talk about it. Poland was a real eye-opener in this respect.

Leave a comment:

• PEVO
    replied
    I watched some other videos on youtube of these same ppl digging in other places but this one is unique in the fact that these soldiers were more intact instead of just dirt pushed atop them where they fell...if buried at all. So much information is garnered from the evidence of splints, drain tubing, tourniquets etc. Broken bones, amputations, missing limbs. This paints the true picture of the horror of death in war. Truly Humbling very sad to watch

Leave a comment:

• o.r.k.
    replied
    A cemetry built over an old field hospital cemetry it seems. The gruesome face of war. Strange that the community didn't remember what there was before. (Or didn't care) That the German government cares is rather unusual as they often rather don't. I suppose it was the Volksbund that organized and took the responsibility.

Leave a comment:

• DALE ELLIS
    replied
    Wow!

Leave a comment:

• johann mor
    replied
    very humbling, thanks for posting.

Jon

Leave a comment:

• Edward
    replied
    Originally posted by Waffenreich View Post
    Duh, don't you think we all know that? What a buzz kill! Can't you just give birdie props for at least posting it.
    Oy vey. We're on a collecting forum, man. You draw a conclusion like that from my post and then you make an egregious personal attack? Yes, I read your response post before you edited it. This really takes the cake. Get a grip.

Leave a comment:

• Willi Z.
    replied
    The brutal reality of the origins of our hobby. It certainly makes me reflect on that fact.

Leave a comment:

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
X