Clear All

Best repro German EM tunic

A friend of mine wants to get a accurate German Army EM
    tunic and trousers to put on a mannequin for a display. Who these
    sells the better ones.
    Thank you

Pantherstore

Comment

Be sure to tell him to get the insignia properly sewn.
      Attached Files

Comment

BTW, I posted the photo of the original M-44 tunic just to show the proper method of applying the collar litzen which is where most people get their reproduction tunics wrong. The breast eagle is, I believe, a printed, late-war variation.

Comment

Originally posted by nd164th View Post
          A friend of mine wants to get a accurate German Army EM
          tunic and trousers to put on a mannequin for a display. Who these
          sells the better ones.
          Thank you
          Avoid the Chinese-made stuff, it's terrible.

Schuster's quality is better, but they have perhaps the worst customer service in the Western world.

There's a French maker of customer uniforms who posts to this forum. I would think he'd be your friend's best source for an accurately made uniform.

Comment

thank you

Comment

i would contend that Gavin's tunics arent that bad, and they offer custom sizing and tailoring as well as most (if not all) insignia sewing as well.

Originally posted by Robert999 View Post
              Avoid the Chinese-made stuff, it's terrible.

Schuster's quality is better, but they have perhaps the worst customer service in the Western world.

There's a French maker of customer uniforms who posts to this forum. I would think he'd be your friend's best source for an accurately made uniform.

Comment

About 30 years ago I vacationed in Germany and stayed at a friend's grandparent's old home in Bavaria that was co-owned by his father, who had been in the HJ, his uncles, who had all served during the war. The uncle I spent the most time with had been a Gebirgsjager during the war and became a school teacher postwar. He was a wealth of information and didn't mind my questions.
                He didn't know the terms M-36, M-40 or any of the terms we use to describe tunics, apparently the German Army didn't award those titles to the different styles of tunics. He said he was issued a tunic with a dark collar when he first went in the Army, he said it was of very good quality and kept him warm. He was later issued another tunic that was all the same color but was still a good tunic. He couldn't recall if the pockets were pleated or not. He stashed away his first tunic as it was still in fairly good condition.
                In late '43 or early '44 he was issued yet another tunic that he said was not of the quality of the first two and did not possess the warming qualities the first two had. In late '44 or early '45 he was issued a tunic that he said was of bad quality that he said he could feel the breeze through. He did recall that this last tunic was nearly a brown color, unlike his first tunic which he described as "green like moss". So, he discarded the brown tunic and retrieved his first tunic and wore it until the end of the war when he was captured. I told him that it was determined that as the war progressed, the wool material had more rayon added which explained the loss of their warming qualities.
                Well, I know I have taken "the long way around the barn" to get to my point but I have to wonder if the Chinese reproductions, as long as the cut is correct (I have not studied them) is actually more correct for the shoddy, late war German tunics? Just my observations.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DennyB View Post
                  About 30 years ago I vacationed in Germany and stayed at a friend's grandparent's old home in Bavaria that was co-owned by his father, who had been in the HJ, his uncles, who had all served during the war. The uncle I spent the most time with had been a Gebirgsjager during the war and became a school teacher postwar. He was a wealth of information and didn't mind my questions.
                  He didn't know the terms M-36, M-40 or any of the terms we use to describe tunics, apparently the German Army didn't award those titles to the different styles of tunics. He said he was issued a tunic with a dark collar when he first went in the Army, he said it was of very good quality and kept him warm. He was later issued another tunic that was all the same color but was still a good tunic. He couldn't recall if the pockets were pleated or not. He stashed away his first tunic as it was still in fairly good condition.
                  In late '43 or early '44 he was issued yet another tunic that he said was not of the quality of the first two and did not possess the warming qualities the first two had. In late '44 or early '45 he was issued a tunic that he said was of bad quality that he said he could feel the breeze through. He did recall that this last tunic was nearly a brown color, unlike his first tunic which he described as "green like moss". So, he discarded the brown tunic and retrieved his first tunic and wore it until the end of the war when he was captured. I told him that it was determined that as the war progressed, the wool material had more rayon added which explained the loss of their warming qualities.
                  Well, I know I have taken "the long way around the barn" to get to my point but I have to wonder if the Chinese reproductions, as long as the cut is correct (I have not studied them) is actually more correct for the shoddy, late war German tunics? Just my observations.
                  Generally speaking, the Chinese patterns are "meh" at best. That and their choices of wools can be a sort of funky at times too. Schuster is a better bet just so long as you take a regular size, as ordering anything custom from them would be playing Belorussian Roulette. Of course if you got the money you could always get a Janke.

Another thing I forgot to mention, avoid Lost Battalions like the plague! Repeat, avoid Lost Battalions like the plague!

Comment

Another thing I forgot to mention, avoid Lost Battalions like the plague! Repeat, avoid Lost Battalions like the plague!
                    Why is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Kimbrian View Post
                      Why is that?
                      Pay for a custom tunic and find out for yourself.

Comment

Elsenau sells the best reproduction tunics.
                        They are very pricey, if you don’t want to spend too much on it ( and/or don’t want to use a 700$ tunic for reenactment) i suggest you visit schusters.ru , they sell very nice and affordable reproduction tunics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pay for a custom tunic and find out for yourself.
                          I got the message!

Originally posted by Collectorboye
                          Elsenau sells the best reproduction tunics.
                          I do agree with that.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                          X