Ratisbons

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's not every day you get to watch a Tallboy explode....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not every day you get to watch a Tallboy explode....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-54533860

Blimey! Thanks for posting this Nigel, I was aware of the story but what I hadn't seen was the footage. Thanks again.
    Cheers

Ian

Always looking to buy Gasplanen and Gasplane related photos & documentation

https://www.allaboutgasplanes.com
    https://www.decisivehours.com/

Comment

I was glad to hear the divers were clear of the site when their activities triggered the blast!

Michael

Comment

You beat me to it! Wonder what a ground explosion would be like

Comment

Agreed - glad that on one was hurt.

Siegfried - regarding a ground explosion, I was up in Tromso this summer and I went to where the Tirpitz was sunk. There is a crater left just beyond the beach - poor quality photo attached - and, even now, almost 76 years on, when you fly into Tromso at the right time of tide, you can see from the plane several other craters on the sea bed just off the beach. I guess they may still be there in hundreds of years they're so deep....
          Attached Files

Comment

Agreed. It is very unusual for us to be able to see modern explosions of vintage ordnance where the only explosive effect shown is from the original ordnance itself. In most cases of ordnance disposal, it seems that the explosion we see is actually comprised mostly of the modern explosives used to accomplish the destruction of the vintage item. I'm not an EOD expert, but in many cases it looks like the vintage ordnance was inert and/or did not explode, so what you are watching is really nothing more than a modern explosive going off. So, the caught-on-video unplanned detonation of the "Tall Boy" bomb is quite an event . . . literally a window to the past of what it would have been like to see this ordnance used some 80 years ago in WWII. As always . . . the best news is that no one was injured by the explosion.

Comment

I too am glad that no lives were lost.

Comment

thanks' for posting it.

Comment

Meh, now let's see a Grand Slam detonation.....just kidding.

Comment

What about the fish....................?
                    https://medamilitaria.com/

Comment

Do I remember seeing somewhere that in France there are remnants of a tunneling operation under the front lines from WWI that still has a ridiculous amount of explosives still in place?

Comment

I think so - isn't it at Messines ridge? And I think another went off there during a storm in the 1950s.

Comment

Originally posted by Biber View Post
                          Do I remember seeing somewhere that in France there are remnants of a tunneling operation under the front lines from WWI that still has a ridiculous amount of explosives still in place?
                          Oh there are whole Tunnel Mines still totally intact, just buried in, collapsed etc. I recall being told about one such Mine where an ex UK EOD man who was part of a WW1 Society (in the 80s) went through part of it disconnecting things.

That's where explosions have come from sometimes during lightning storms so it was explained at the same time. Apparently the way that Tunnel was found was that part of it had collapsed and left an indent in the ground from the surface.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                          X