Next U.S. Navy Carrier to be named for Doris Miller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next U.S. Navy Carrier to be named for Doris Miller

CVN-81 will be the first carrier named for an enlisted sailor and the first to be named for an African American. It will serve to honor Doris Miller, one of the true heroes of Pearl Harbor. Far more fitting than naming a carrier for Senator John C. Stennis.
    https://news.clearancejobs.com/2020/...-doris-miller/

Lmao.

Comment

Agreed on the naming issue. The honor of having a US Navy warship named after you should be reserved for (at a minimum) those persons who have a very strong record of military service and, better yet, for those who have demonstrated acts of valor under combat conditions.

Yes - I am from the home state of Senator Stennis and see no justification whatsoever for naming a warship after him . . . . particularly such an important warship as an aircraft carrier. I would be all-in for renaming the USS Stennis if the new name honored a true U.S. Navy hero.

Comment

Certainly don't agree with the "Lmao" remark as the sailor went beyond the call of duty and was later KIA. And even if he had stayed on the ship he was first transferred to it would have likely cost his life as that one, too, was sunk. A Navy Cross award is something, especially when you're "only" supposed to be a cook.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Smith View Post
          Agreed on the naming issue. The honor of having a US Navy warship named after you should be reserved for (at a minimum) those persons who have a very strong record of military service and, better yet, for those who have demonstrated acts of valor under combat conditions.

Yes - I am from the home state of Senator Stennis and see no justification whatsoever for naming a warship after him . . . . particularly such an important warship as an aircraft carrier. I would be all-in for renaming the USS Stennis if the new name honored a true U.S. Navy hero.
          I have no problem naming carriers for Presidents actually. Reagan wasn't in the Navy, but under his administration efforts were begun to create a 500-ship naval force. Stennis was clearly a case of a political favor. But I do think Doris Miller is someone worthy of having a carrier named for him. Yes, PC culture played a role, but Miller went above and beyond on Dec. 7. He also gave his life for a country that didn't always treat him as well as he deserved.

Comment

Read between the lines, I'm amused at the 'inclusiveness agenda' which is sweeping our society, and leading to these sorts of initiatives.

Comment

....“These sorts of initiatives “ ....you mean credit where credit is overdue. Miller went above & beyond as said above , how about just sticking to that.

Comment

Originally posted by pauke View Post
                Certainly don't agree with the "Lmao" remark
                I thought he was laughing at having a carrier called 'Doris'! It's an old woman's name in England and also a nickname for women in the army, I can just imagine the grief the Royal Navy would get for a ship called HMS Doris!

Comment

Originally posted by Seigfried View Post

I thought he was laughing at having a carrier called 'Doris'! It's an old woman's name in England and also a nickname for women in the army, I can just imagine the grief the Royal Navy would get for a ship called HMS Doris!
                  I think if I was in the senior service I'd be more worried about the prospect of serving on a warship named the Prince of Wales, especially as future deployment could be to Asia. That didn't work out too well the last time an HMS Prince of Wales sailed out of Singapore.

Comment

OK people, we've got some statues of 'white slave owners' to tear down as well.....

Comment

Originally posted by Peter_Suciu View Post
                      CVN-81 will be the first carrier named for an enlisted sailor and the first to be named for an African American. It will serve to honor Doris Miller, one of the true heroes of Pearl Harbor. Far more fitting than naming a carrier for Senator John C. Stennis.
                      https://news.clearancejobs.com/2020/...-doris-miller/
                      Thank you for the interesting Link!
                      Who was behind the naming of the Stennis?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter_Suciu View Post

I think if I was in the senior service I'd be more worried about the prospect of serving on a warship named the Prince of Wales, especially as future deployment could be to Asia. That didn't work out too well the last time an HMS Prince of Wales sailed out of Singapore.
                        That was then (on a battleship) - this is now (and it is a carrier), and I still wouldn't want to be on a ship called Doris

Comment

Well this thread won’t last long! Rob
                          God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Originally posted by uscob View Post

Thank you for the interesting Link!
                            Who was behind the naming of the Stennis?
                            President Reagan pushed for Stennis to be honored with the name. It was politics, probably a favor to the Senator. Perhaps Senator Stennis liked to play with model boats and wanted one named after him! Then again, a Space Center, air port and hospital are named after him. How he remained in office so long is the amazing part! He was the last Democrat from Mississippi.

Comment

Originally posted by Seigfried View Post

That was then (on a battleship) - this is now (and it is a carrier), and I still wouldn't want to be on a ship called Doris
                              I'd still be nervous sailing on it to the Indo-Pacific region given that China is far more capable of sinking a warship than Japan ever was.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X