HisCol

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Great Grandfather. Pvt Luke Gaffey. WW1 27th Division. 2 DSC and more.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Great Grandfather. Pvt Luke Gaffey. WW1 27th Division. 2 DSC and more.

My Great Grandfather. Pvt Luke Gaffey.

He served with the 27th Division in the 108th Regiment, Company F.

Citation for DSC: The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished Service Cross to Private Luke Gaffey (ASN: 1214669), United States Army, for extraordinary heroism in action while serving with Company F, 108th Infantry Regiment, 27th Division, A.E.F., near Ronssoy, France, 28 September 1918. Private Gaffey displayed rare courage in leaving shelter and going into an open field under heavy shell and machine-gun fire and rescuing wounded soldiers of another regiment.

Citation for second DSC: The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting a Bronze Oak Leaf Cluster in lieu of a Second Award of the Distinguished Service Cross to Private Luke Gaffey (ASN: 1214669), United States Army, for extraordinary heroism in action while serving with Company F, 108th Infantry Regiment, 27th Division, A.E.F., near Ronssoy, France, 29 September 1918. When all the other members of his squad had been killed or wounded, Private Gaffey picked up an automatic rifle and advanced alone against an enemy position.

I hope you all enjoy. I’m always looking for military items from the 27th DIV. If anyone has any please feel free to shoot me a pm.
    Attached Files

A very Fantastic Grouping from your Great Grandfather!

Thanks for sharing it with us!

All the Best,

Alan

Comment

This is a truly incredible group! It’s one that any collector would be honored to have, but the fact that it is your great grandfather makes it just priceless. I’m always intrigued by NYers that served in the 27th and 77th (my great grandfather was in the 77th). And, I love that he was also awarded an MM!! Great stuff!!!
      sigpicIron Cross Award Documents of World War II - Out Now!

info@kleinekillpress.com
      www.kleinekillpress.com

Comment

An outstanding service record and unique inter-Ally grouping. Hope your family cherishes this for the next century!

Comment

Beautiful family treasure and historical grouping!

Frank

Comment

I can’t tell you how happy I am to see his group together and in the family, where it belongs. Thank you very much for sharing it. Outstanding military history from an impressive soldier.
            Think of the press as a great keyboard on which the government can play. The tune does not matter, so long it is the only one the public is allowed to hear. Eventually they will all dance. – Goebbels

Comment

A wonderful piece of history. Thanks for sharing your Great Grandfathers heroic story, his amazing personal group including his exceptional awards and citations.

Comment

Great family history!

Comment

Wow, that is impressive, obviously a fearless man from the ranks. I also treasure my family items above all.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                  X