Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waffen SS name inside a manual

Hello all,

I have owned a copy of the H.Dv.240 Schießvorschrift manual for some years now. This shooting manual has the following inscription inside the front cover:

Schilling
    14 Komp. SS "D"

It was theorized by Klaus Schad that this manual belonged to a Waffen SS soldier in the 14th Company of SS Regiment Deutschland.

Does anyone know how I would begin to research this individual to gain some corroborating evidence to support or dispel this theory? I contacted the Bundesarchiv in Germany several years ago but was unable to gain much insight.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and photos of the manual will follow.

Thanks.

-Brandon

Brandon,

Unfortunately Schilling is a common name. I just looked through the 759 Wehrmacht death registration cards for soldiers named Schilling on ancestry.com and only found three in the Waffen-SS, none of which were in "Deutschland". Bear in mind, the cards for guys KIA in 1944 and 1945 are few and far between so it cannot be completely ruled out there was a guy in Deutschland that was KIA later in the war, or, was not KIA at all. In this case the next avenue is for me to look at the master index of Waffen-SS soldiers at the National Archives in Maryland. They are closed to the public right now due to COVID, however once they open back up I'll go there and see what I can find.

Be patient and in the meantime enjoy the fact that you know it was used by a soldier in Deutschland.

I'll get back with you once I get the green light to visit the Archives again.

Regards!

Bob

Comment

Bob,

I really appreciate your help. I would love to be able to connect the dots on this manual.

Thanks again!

-Brandon

Comment

You're welcome Brandon. I'll let you know when I'm heading up there, but in the meantime I'll keep my eyes open for any connection between him and Deutschland.

vr

Bob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
        X