Renwax and minty badges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renwax and minty badges

I have a specific question on Renwax. Have searched the forum and read the other posts on it but still have my question unanswered so therefore the new thread.

I am specifically curious about using Renwax on minty items to preserve the finish. What are you thoughts on that?

Most of what I read is preventing zincpest from spreading. What I would like to know is if this is recommended to preserve minty condition badges from turning bad.

Do any of you apply this to, say, a minty Infantry Assault Badge? And, if so, what is the effect it has on the original appearance of the badge?

Like to know this before I attempt it myself.

My feeling says to leave the badges alone but once the condition is lost due to environment its lost forever.
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I'm doing.

Never used Renwax however many here recommend vaseline.
    Troy

Comment

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ghlight=renwax

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

Jacquesf: I found both those threads. I just can’t seem to see a consensus regarding mint badges in there. I’m still really curious if anyone uses this on mint items to prevent degradation.

Comment

Kinda useless treating badges in mint condition.
          Just store them properly.
          I would leave them as they are.
          Renwax won't stop zincpest from developing.

Comment

I agree-- with a mint piece showing no signs of deterioration, I would not do anything to it except to watch the temperature and humidity of the storage place and monitor its condition.
            Erich
            Festina lente!

Comment

Thanks guys

This is my gut feel as well.

But devil’s advocate time. If zinc pest is accelerated (maybe even triggered) by humidity, would sealing the item not protect it?

Not going to do it with this advice confirming my suspicions, but it’s been food for thought.

Comment

I personally would put a coat of Ren Wax on it for added protection.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                X