Vintage Productions

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hitler Plaque. Rust removed. Consider Re-Blacking or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitler Plaque. Rust removed. Consider Re-Blacking or not?

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone would have some idea as to when and when NOT to restore an item. I have this Hitler plaque that was quite rusty. I removed the rust in apple vinigar and it did an excellent job as can be seen from the photos. The apple vinegar ONLY removed the rust and in no way affected the rest of the surface.
    Question is; Do I now leave it as it is or do I restore it back to the original surface with black oxide or a similar substance?? (I would only be restoring the item to sell not to keep).
    The question of originality now comes into play and I am not sure what the best solution would be.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Terry
    Attached Files

If you sell it you should state that you have restored it....as that will have an effect on your price. There are some who don't mind restored pieces but others want un-restored items.

Michael H.
    sigpic

Comment

I'd leave it for the new owner to decide,if i bought it i would want to do the resto job myself.

Cheers
      Bob
      looking for Hannah Mckay to take care of my dark passenger.....

Comment

Was it originally finish paint or black oxide

Comment

Plaque

It looks like black paint.

Comment

you could do a light blotting with a black Rustoleum to protect it,,,and leave it to the new owner to decide what finish he would want..
            Same if your going to keep it. Look a some of the other type pieces and I'm sure you'll be able to match it..

Comment

The rusty condition was better looking.

Comment

Rust is never good; it’s not patina, it’s destructive. I would leave it as is now.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                X