info@emilauctions.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Anyone Cleaned a Summer-White Tunic??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do not use woolite it will glow like a full moon. I have seen too many WWII items washed in woolite only to have them glowing. I would not use any sort of bleach on any old historic fabric. Old fabric is too delicate to use any amount of bleach. Even a teaspoon or more per 1/2 gallon of water is to strong. Vinegar can work but stains usually appear even a small amout of vinegar can cause staining like John said what happened to his item.
    In my conservation work Orvis paste soap is what I use for any historic fabric washing (by hand only). This product along with the sodium perborate grainuals work great on older fabric. Orvis soap is PH neutral and can be safely used in old fabric washing (by hand only) A small amount 1/2 teaspoon will wash you item safely. Use cool water to wash. Rinse thoroughly using cool water for several minutes and towel damp dry. Careful not to stretch you wet item or twist your item to get water out. Blot you item and air dry only.
    Paul
    Remember! They ain't making any more of this stuff.. Take care of it.

WE SPEND LOTS OF MONEY ON OUR HOBBY. SPEND A FEW MORE DOLLARS TO PRESERVE HISTORY!

Comment

white top cleaning

Stonemint,

No, no, no. No bleach or woolite. You want sodium perborate from talasonline.com. I use it on all white tunics and visor tops and it works.

Regards,

John Ellis

Comment

There is one very simple solution regarding a washed tunic that glows....don't look at it in the dark with a UV light !!!

Mike

Comment

This is a great thread for advice on cleaning tunics etc. If I am not mistaken I think it was Paul R. who before demonstrated washing a pair of panzer pants in the bath and also took photo's of it. There was a sling used to lift out the item etc which I thought was a good idea.

It was be cool to see some before and after photo's of washed items too.
          Enjoy the hobby
          The Dragon.

Seeking document's belonging to Kampfgeschwader 4 "General Wever".

Comment

I found the link. Apolgies it was a pair of SS pants. This might help others.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=404186
            Enjoy the hobby
            The Dragon.

Seeking document's belonging to Kampfgeschwader 4 "General Wever".

Comment

Originally posted by The Dragon View Post
              I found the link. Apolgies it was a pair of SS pants. This might help others.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=404186
              Good advice on this thread.

Comment

The method of washing can be applied to any clothing. Just be sure the fabric is solid (the tread sewing it together in strong and intact). Use orvus soap it has a neutral PH level. The item must be hand washed in a bathtub or a laundry tub. Please keep in mind to not pick up a heavy wet tunic or pants, of a flag directly out of the water,, fabric gets heavy when it is wet. By picking the wet item out of the water it could put stress on old fabric and sewing thread. It's best to drain out the dirty water as you rinse with fresh water keep squeezing out the garment gently do this for several minutes until you see or feel no remaining soap in the garment and the water coming off of the fabric is clear with no soap residue.
                Once your tub is fairly clear of water. Next carefully roll the garment and gently squeeze out the water. then carefully lift out the garment rolled garment,and place it in large bath, or beach towels. gently keep squeezing the garment to remove 95 percent of the water.Next remove off the wet towels place if flat surface and allow it to air dry. every few hours turn the garment over..This entire process should never be rushed... Never apply heat. cotton, wool, some mix of cloth materials can shrink..
                Remember! They ain't making any more of this stuff.. Take care of it.

WE SPEND LOTS OF MONEY ON OUR HOBBY. SPEND A FEW MORE DOLLARS TO PRESERVE HISTORY!

Comment

I don't doubt that the Orvus cleaner is probably better for conserving clothing, but after using Woolite on a few items over the years, like the flag I mentioned above, none of the items have shown any reaction under UV light. I have several UV lights with different wavelength ranges and the Woolite washed items are optically dead under each of them.
                  Erich
                  Festina lente!

Comment

Originally posted by Erich B. View Post
                    I don't doubt that the Orvus cleaner is probably better for conserving clothing, but after using Woolite on a few items over the years, like the flag I mentioned above, none of the items have shown any reaction under UV light. I have several UV lights with different wavelength ranges and the Woolite washed items are optically dead under each of them.
                    Erich
                    Erich is 100% correct. Woolite DOES NOT cause white items that did not fluoresce before use to fluoresce after. This is an argument that comes up time and again and I will stand by saying it does not negatively affect an item. On any white item I have that requires a freshening up I use a combination of OxiClean and Woolite. Awesome results! Woolite is gentle and OxiClean makes your whites whiter and your brights brighter

vr

Bob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                    X