gloves or bare hand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gloves or bare hand?

As the things we own are really relics of the past with all it´s flaws and wear and tear I always wonder that so many members still have the things in their bare hands on pics or it is even worn by people in collector books. Is this still ok or shouldn´t it be sensible to wear gloves to touch the things in our little museums? What do you think? Too cautious or exaggerated care? Is military stuff more robust and therefore not that delicate? I always try not to touch the things any more. I am very much looking forward to your opinions.

I always use cotton gloves, but maybe I am considered to be a pain in the neck!
    I would never touch a dagger or metal items without them.

Comment

I make sometimes mistakes against my own rules which are the same as those from Wim Saris. It's better to wear gloves. It also depend of which quality you collect. If you see some of the medals and daggers that are labeled as 'collectible', gloves are not useful anymore and look stupid because the piece is already plain trash.

Regards, Wim
      Freedom is not for Free

Comment

I now use white gloves as well when handling my edged weapons due to acidity of body oils. A bit of peace of mind. For the first 20 years collecting I did not. Professional museum curators wear gloves for a reason and is considered best practice in their profession.

Comment

I handled my Japanese swords always with gloves and did this already in 1969.
          I never would touch a blade with bare fingers.

I often see well-known persons handling on tv swords and touching the blades.
          How serious is such a guy as the one from Pawn Stars??

Comment

I would wear gloves on all blades.

Comment

I keep a pack in the war room. I try to wear them every 20191019_175026.jpg time I handle an edged weapon, award, or document. Regarding uniforms and cloth items I make sure my hands are washed and dried, but only sometimes wear gloves when handling them.
              Todd
              Seeking photographs of Joachim Tiesler, DKiG Stalingrad, 3rd I.D. (mot.) and Clemens Freiherr von Fürstenberg, DKiG 7th Panzer Division.

Comment

It's gloves every time for me.
                It makes me cringe when I see posts on the forums or e-stand in which the goodies are being held in bare hands.
                Marked EKIIs still needed - Mission accomplished !

Comment

The fact is that the oil from human skin is no good for anything other than human skin; too much of it there even sometimes causes pimples. Seriously, I wear gloves whenever I touch anything in my collection, most especially items made of metal - and even more so, of course, blades. Although you may not see the effects immediately, skin oil sits there and does its corrosive thing, causing regrettable albeit irreversible damage over time, becoming like an etching forever reminding us of our (or someone else's) carelessness. There's no question about it. The metals of militaria are no exeception. What's better is that cotton gloves that prevent the damage are inexpensive, easily washed and reused. I have the same couple of pairs I've used, washed, and alternated for all the years I've been collecting (nearly 30 years now) - and there's not a hole in them yet. After each washing, they look as good as new. Maybe it's because they're made better than what they make now - but I digress.

What's unusual, however and surprisingly, is that, at militaria shows virtually no one wears gloves. At a place where everyone should wear them, almost nobody does. Maybe the dealers don't, because they don't give as much of damn since they are selling the items anyway. But, even collectors showing off their own collections don't wear gloves (or at most, very, very rarely do.) Yes. I wear them even at shows, oddly feeling a bit weird doing it around all of the other collectors and "experts" who really should know better. Oh, well! I guess someone has to set the examples; I guess it's me.

P.S. If you ever see a guy at the Show of Shows walking around wearing white gloves, it's probably me. Stop and say hello.

Chris

Comment

we Europeans need to learn that lesson abaut gloves here, not often used at all here

Comment

I just wash my hands and dry them before

Comment

Collecting mint as I can afford medals and also ribbon bars I always wear gloves. In my display case I have an EKII '333' fake which is the handling piece for visitors

Ian

Comment

Hi,
                          Have never really considered wearing gloves. My hands are clean, I'm careful and handle items in the correct way. However, as already mentioned, I've always wanted to punch in the face, the so-called expert on TV, who picks up a sword by the blade or puts his acidic finger prints all over a medal group. How the hell can he be an 'expert', when he hasn't got a clue how to handle items!! Gloves are a good idea, many years ago I stupidly mishandled a TR combat award, with unwashed hands and to this day, my fingerprint is a permanent reminder! I was young at the time and unaware of potential damage, only ever having been warned of the hazards of touching edged weapon blades.
                          Cheers,
                          Rigsby.

Comment

I feel cotton gloves are a must if one is serious about preserving the artifacts that we collect. That said, I go with the flow when visiting fellow collectors. If they show no interest in using gloves neither do I. However, anyone handling items in my collection will be using gloves. I've a bag full of them on hand. Besides, they are damn cheap...

Chet
                            Zinc stinks!

Comment

I never wear gloves, I'm not a museum curator but as mentioned here I like others make sure I never touch blades with my fingers and if I have a client looking at a blade I tell them the same, seen many a blade with and acid etch fingerprint in my time

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                              X