Flak 38 Magazine Box Paint Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flak 38 Magazine Box Paint Removal

A couple of days ago I received this flak 38 magazine box. At some point in its life a coat of green paint has been added to it. In many spots this paint has peeled away and revealed ordnance tan paint underneath. I believe that this is the original paint but I'm not completely sure. In some spots I can see red primer under the tan. The inside has also been completely repainted. Is it worth it to try to remove this green paint? Does anyone have tips for doing this? I've searched the forum and found many different methods but was wondering what the most recommended for something like this is.
    Attached Files

I would use mr muscle oven cleaner, I have tried on a few things and the result was astonishing

Comment

Originally posted by 48RMC View Post
      I would use mr muscle oven cleaner, I have tried on a few things and the result was astonishing
      Thank you for the tip. I have tried a couple of chemicals but found them to be too harsh. I'll give the oven cleaner a try next.

Comment

This box had a heavy coat of black paint on it. I used lacquer thinner on small areas at a time & wiped it off with a clean rag. Took a while but the original paint & stenciling were not damaged.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by STG44 View Post
          This box had a heavy coat of black paint on it. I used lacquer thinner on small areas at a time & wiped it off with a clean rag. Took a while but the original paint & stenciling were not damaged.
          That turned out very nice. I wouldn't have guessed that it had been overpainted.

Comment

Originally posted by Tulahex View Post

That turned out very nice. I wouldn't have guessed that it had been overpainted.
            Thanks, I took a chance on it, the price was right. It had a heavy coat of a gloss black Rustoleum type paint on it. I should have taken a few before pictures.

Comment

At a Tulsa, OK gunshow (c. 1996) I found a WWI German helmet shell with interesting schrapnel damage . . . $35. It had, however, a coat of somewhat recent green spray paint all over the exterior. With some careful cleaning using Laquer Thinner and rags, I was able to wipe off the spray paint and get back to the original WWI green paint with really nice results . . . similar to what STG44 accomplished.

If you use Laquer Thinner, be sure to wear gloves to prevent absorption into the blood stream via your hands and, if possible, do it out-of-doors so that you can avoid inhaling fumes.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Smith View Post
                At a Tulsa, OK gunshow (c. 1996) I found a WWI German helmet shell with interesting schrapnel damage . . . $35. It had, however, a coat of somewhat recent green spray paint all over the exterior. With some careful cleaning using Laquer Thinner and rags, I was able to wipe off the spray paint and get back to the original WWI green paint with really nice results . . . similar to what STG44 accomplished.

If you use Laquer Thinner, be sure to wear gloves to prevent absorption into the blood stream via your hands and, if possible, do it out-of-doors so that you can avoid inhaling fumes.

Good luck!
                Seems like lacquer thinner is the way to go then. I'll pick some up and post an update with the results. Thanks as well for the safety tips.

Comment

Bad news, the lacquer thinner doesn't seem to be working. The green paint seems almost impervious to it but it does have an affect on the tan and red primer. It attacks this through the scratches in the green and leaves red and tan streaks on the rags I am using. I could try to scrub it harder but this would undoubtedly eat through the original paint too. Anything else I can try?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 11:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                  X