ScapiniMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any DAK items

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Thanks Mark for your reply

    As to your hat, I've had over 50 years in the sewing game and I think I know a bit about the ins & outs of sewing and from the look of it your hat is all over the place with it's silver piping around the top. It's half buried in the seam and the lower panel is all puckered up to make it fit the top.

    Any difference in the way it is sewn could be up the person working the sewing machine.
    Just checked the soutach and there is no way it has been touched. The hat is what it is and that is all there is to it.

    Jack

    Comment


      Originally posted by Erwin View Post
      Thanks Mark for your reply

      As to your hat, I've had over 50 years in the sewing game and I think I know a bit about the ins & outs of sewing and from the look of it your hat is all over the place with it's silver piping around the top. It's half buried in the seam and the lower panel is all puckered up to make it fit the top.

      Any difference in the way it is sewn could be up the person working the sewing machine.
      Just checked the soutach and there is no way it has been touched. The hat is what it is and that is all there is to it.

      Jack
      Thanks Jack, I could show you plenty of pics showing exactly the same with the turn up sewn differently to yours on other Robert Lubsteins but you have your cap in hand and you're happy with it, that's what matters.
      As mentioned, I'm not being critical just curious particularly with the soutache. I don't believe that caps were produced with every soutache available so many were upgraded by the units to match their branch colour.

      Regards,

      Mark
      Afrikakorps collector interested in uniforms, headgear and insignia of the Heer in North Africa

      Comment


        Hello again Mark

        I just went and checked out that soutache with a magnifying glass and there is no way that it has been mucked around with. The black soutache has been let in and sandwiched between the peak and the front panels from the day it was made. Nothing has been unpicked and resewn in that area.
        You may see a row of stitching right around the bottom edge of the hat but that will be revealed when Paul posts the next lot of pics.

        Regards Jack

        Comment


          Greetings from a rather cool southern night,

          Jack has asked me to post a few images of the interior of his Pionier cap.

          The cap has been fitted with what appears to be the continental style officers sweatband, possibly removed from his own officer cap after being transferred to Afrika?. Note: there is a cap fitted with a similar sweatband on page 123 of the Robert Kurtz book " Afrika Korps" published by Schiffer.

          Jack I hope this helps.

          Cheers Paul l k ..
          Attached Files

          Comment


            Originally posted by Erwin View Post
            Hello again Mark

            I just went and checked out that soutache with a magnifying glass and there is no way that it has been mucked around with. The black soutache has been let in and sandwiched between the peak and the front panels from the day it was made. Nothing has been unpicked and resewn in that area.
            You may see a row of stitching right around the bottom edge of the hat but that will be revealed when Paul posts the next lot of pics.

            Regards Jack
            Thanks Jack,
            Factory pioneer soutaches in tropical caps are rare. Just having a look at Pauls pics and the attachment of the leather liner explains the non-factory stitching around the base of the body. It certainly is a very nice cap. The capture location and date penned into it just make it that little bit more special.

            Regards,

            Mark
            Afrikakorps collector interested in uniforms, headgear and insignia of the Heer in North Africa

            Comment


              Thanks for your good work Paul, that seems to have laid a few doubts to rest and thanks for your interest Mark.

              Cheers Jack

              Comment


                Thank you for the extra photos, what a bonus to have the capture location and added sweat band. No doubts on my part, picked it in one from when you posted it. A very rare and unique cap

                Any history on how you came to acquire it, did it come directly from a veterans family?

                MSteve

                Comment


                  Sorry MSteve, I have no background info only the guy I got it off had owned it for a very long time. It was never in a collection per se.

                  Cheers Jack

                  Comment


                    Hello from a cold and wet southern morning!

                    Erwin has asked me to add a copy of this interesting set of DAK items to this post in case others missed it on the previous posting page.

                    Cheers
                    Paul l k ..
                    Attached Files

                    Comment


                      Nice!

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by msteve21 View Post
                        Thank you for the extra photos, what a bonus to have the capture location and added sweat band. No doubts on my part, picked it in one from when you posted it. A very rare and unique cap

                        Any history on how you came to acquire it, did it come directly from a veterans family?

                        MSteve
                        My thoughts to, nice thread here.

                        Robt.

                        Comment


                          This is one of the best threads on the WAF in my humble opinion. Great examples being shared and extremely informative.

                          Sorry if I’m breaking the rules here, but if anyone is interested in selling a ‘42 or ‘43 calendar, please PM me.

                          Thanks to all who have contributed to this wonderful thread!

                          Comment


                            With the Holidays it's time to bring this favorite thread back up again

                            Been a little quite this year but a couple nice DAK items were added to the collection thanks to fellow members. First a green Herr tropenhelm with the original shields.
                            Attached Files

                            Comment


                              & next a set of white piped DAK straps Flak/MG from another friend here on the WAF

                              anyone else ?

                              Last is a photo of Helmuth Orschiedt a member of the DAK 33rd Art Regt and his crew New Years during the retreat 1942. Happy Holidays

                              Heia Safari !
                              Tim
                              Attached Files

                              Comment


                                Great thread guys and the officers cap with added sweatband is superb.

                                Jack, I note that it has a makers logo embossed into the leather, can you make out what it says?

                                Here's my latest find, another Lubstein cap.
                                Attached Files

                                Comment

                                Users Viewing this Thread

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

                                Working...
                                X