Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats a fantastic photo' Mark definately one for the file love to see some more when you have time!, and neat that it shows the olive green piths in action as well. One of my green webbed belts with G B marked Buckles came out of Australia and may very well be a Tobruk Aussie bring back.

Greg

Comment

You should enjoy seeing this one as well Greg.
      Just make sure that your buckle makes its way back to Australia along with a few other items if you ever change direction.

Mark
      Attached Files
      Afrikakorps collector interested in uniforms, headgear and insignia of the Heer in North Africa

Comment

Another top photo Mark, I'd love to see another book come out Like Bernd Peitz's with more colour photo's of Troops in Afrika. Perhaps more pics could be produced from colourised film that has come to light.

What I find interesting looking at that photo is those olive green uniforms really are in contrast to the desert. Maybe one of the reasons they didn't continue with the green webbed gear so much and why it was quite short lived is that it didn't blend into the desert landscape. Although olive tunics and Breechs continued throughout as we know along with Tan & brown issued tunics.

Greg
        Last edited by Greg B; 06-15-2012, 07:15 AM.

Comment

You are right Greg, they didn't blend in with the Libyan landscape very well at all.
          As uniforms faded through both wear and other means (bleaching), they did take on a better appearance against the local landscape. Colour photos in Bernd Peitz excellent book clearly show the well worn and bleached uniforms fitting into the landscape much more readily than these fresh uniforms from the early battles in North Africa.

My small collection clearly shows a wide variety of tropical cloth shades, even just some of the shoulderstraps.
          Compare these 1940 dated straight leg trousers (an incredibly rare beast) against this stripped tropical tunic with only light wear. What a difference in these two alone.

Mark
          Attached Files
          Afrikakorps collector interested in uniforms, headgear and insignia of the Heer in North Africa

Comment

As mentioned, here are some shoulderstraps showing a huge variation in fading from just wear alone.
            These are both olive/green examples with varying degrees of natural fading.

Mark
            Attached Files

Comment

I usually don't add stripped tunics to 'The Sandpit', but this one is a bit of an exception...& yes - it's all factory sewn.
              Interesting, to say the least.
              Regards,
              Mark
              Attached Files
              Collector of Afrikakorps Uniforms & Fieldgear -
              http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=130267
              Mannequin Painting -
              http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=180061

Comment

wery interest collection

Comment

this one is a bit of an exception...& yes - it's all factory sewn.
                  Interesting, to say the least.
                  Regards,
                  Mark[/QUOTE]

Very Interesting Mark , It must have been right on the edge of the cross over period with this particular manufacturer from 1st pattern tunics to the 2nd pattern trop tunics.
                  This particular maker has then run out of made up pleted pockets to complete his last order of first pattern tunics. At the same time he must have started runs of second patern tunics out of the same colour bolt of fabric and decided to complete the last batch of these first pattern tunics with the second pattern pockets...
                  A very cool variation to have !

Greg

Comment

Here is a souvenir of the war in North Africa; the front of an artillery gunner's faded field cap, cut off by the Allied veteran. The faded shoulder strap was acquired separately:
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by OSS; 06-22-2012, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Killer artillery items! I would love to have the cap that the eagle cockade and soutache came from! Hell I would love to have that piece of loose insignia in my collection any day! Shows great fading and is just a sweet couple of pieces. Matt
                      I collect:Summer weight Heer tunics, early Schutzen and kradschutzen boards/tabs/tunics and last but not least Panzer Grenadier militaria!

Comment

Amazing piece of cut insignia and perfect match to the shoulder strap. Love it!!

Comment

Gee OSS, what a waste of a good cap .
                          Jokes aside, that is a fantastic looking cut off and an equally good looking strap.
                          I certainly appreciate your showing us these.

Mark

Comment

Afrikakorps

I have a Wehrpass and pay book from the Afrika Korps. Anyone interested can send me an e-mail.

Comment

Just to add an update to the 1940 early haversack & straps which arrived today.

It was nice to see quite a few little personal details such as the modified Y straps which have had cushning added to the shoulders. The added cloth looks and feels like it was made out of tunic fabric which In hand I have no doubts was done by the vet. He has also wired the Y straps to the attachment points of the pack I prosume because they would continue to come unattached. He has sewen a P in thread on the outside to be able to identify his pack as his.

As well he has written his rank, name & serial no's ...would be great if this could be identified to a unit.

Unfortunately the back strap of the Y straps is missing and the other attachment straps are missing from the front. Most likely removed so as not to get in the way...I had held out hope that they might be under the cushning . Regardless the way it is is as it was personalised to be used in the field by the vet which I really like.

Anyway a few pics.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Greg B; 06-29-2012, 01:51 AM.

Comment

pics

a
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 4,375 at 10:03 PM on 01-16-2020.

Working...
                                X