wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Italian & European Axis Allies Forum

Italian & European Axis Allies Forum Dedicated to the Uniforms and Equipment of Italy and the other WWII German Allies.

Ribbons of the Italian Bravery Medals (WWII)
Old 07-21-2002, 07:08 PM   #1
Shawn

Default Ribbons of the Italian Bravery Medals (WWII)

Hi! I have a question concerning the ribbons of the Italian Bravery Medals (Medaglia al valore, et al.). It appears that the list below reflects the CURRENT ribbons used on these medals, however, what did the ribbons look like in the World War II-era? The Army Bravery Medal “al valore dell’Escercito,” with its yellow side stripes, is a fairly recent addition to the lineup (1974).

• Military Bravery Medal “al valore militare” (Established on 20/26 March 1833) – Solid blue ribbon.
• Army Bravery Medal “al valore dell’Escercito” (Established on 26 July 1974) – Blue ribbon with one narrow yellow stripe & one wider yellow stripe on each end.
• Navy Bravery Medal “al valore di Marina” (Established on 1 March 1836) – Blue ribbon with one narrow white stripe & one wider white stripe on each end.
• Air Force Bravery Medal “al valore aeronautica” (Established on 27 November 1927) - Blue ribbon with one narrow red stripe & one wider red stripe on each end.

For instance, I’ve seen a color photograph of GFM Erwin Rommel wearing the ribbon of the Italian Silver Bravery Medal. I don’t know if it’s a trick of the light on the moiré ribbon, but it almost appears to have two faint yellow stripes on each end! I would have thought the ribbon was solid blue for the Medaglia al valore (presumably the version he received). Thanks for any assistance!

Regards,
Shawn

Old 07-21-2002, 11:45 PM   #2
Rick Research

Yes, solid dark blue, I'm surprised the Republic would have changed the traditional ribbon.

Old 03-30-2004, 05:54 PM   #3
LaVaAPochi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn
For instance, I’ve seen a color photograph of GFM Erwin Rommel wearing the ribbon of the Italian Silver Bravery Medal. I don’t know if it’s a trick of the light on the moiré ribbon, but it almost appears to have two faint yellow stripes on each end! I would have thought the ribbon was solid blue for the Medaglia al valore (presumably the version he received). Thanks for any assistance!
AFAIK Rommel received the Golden Valor Militare, which has a solid blue ribbon. Possibly the 2 yello stripes are the stitches to "close" the doubled ribbon. He's wearing it on the pocket flap, not on the ribbon bar right?

Anyway ther were no ribbon changes when Italy became a republic....

E*