wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > U.S. Militaria Forum

U.S. Militaria Forum Militaria of the United States of America.

Highest Decorated Soldier/Sailor?
Old 12-01-2004, 08:46 PM   #1
NavyFCO

Default Highest Decorated Soldier/Sailor?

All-

Reading the Robert Howard thread made me think about who may have been the highest decorated person in the US military. Howard was obviously the MOST decorated... But who had the most occurances of the highest awards?

In order to make this a little more challenging, let's not count the double-MOH recipients (otherwise I could have answered the question myself!)

Being a Navy guy, my vote goes towards the Navy side: RADM Eugene Fluckey had the MOH and 4 Navy Crosses - pretty tough to beat!

Any other thoughts out there? Perhaps we should divide this between the highest decorated for the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps?

I look forward to your input!

--Dave

Correct me if I am wrong but....
Old 12-01-2004, 08:59 PM   #2
Paul Chepurko

Default Correct me if I am wrong but....

I believe that Sgt. Dan Daly USMC is a double MOH holder. If memory serves me correct he was awarded the MOH in WWI and for the campaigns in central. This would put him near or at the top of the list. I thibk he is the only double MOH winner.

Old 12-01-2004, 09:06 PM   #3
coastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chepurko
I believe that Sgt. Dan Daly USMC is a double MOH holder. If memory serves me correct he was awarded the MOH in WWI and for the campaigns in central. This would put him near or at the top of the list. I thibk he is the only double MOH winner.
Don't forget Major General Smedley Butler, USMC, Double MOH, (Mexico,Haiti), Navy LT John Cloy (China, Vera Cruz) plus Navy Cross. Audey Murphy who won Every decoration for bravery in WWII.

Signalman 1st Douglas A Munro the only USCG MOH winner makes him top dog of the CG.

Old 12-01-2004, 09:57 PM   #4
Dave Danner

Smedley Butler won the Brevet Medal too, so effectively he won the Medal of Honor three times.

VADM Bulkeley was the most highly decorated sailor: Medal of Honor, Navy Cross, 2 Army Distinguished Service Crosses, 2 Silver Stars, Legion of Merit with "V", 2 Purple Hearts.

Old 12-01-2004, 10:05 PM   #5
Dave Danner

Ranger legend Colonel Lewis Millett is probably the most highly decorated living soldier. He received the Medal of Honor, Distinguished Service Cross, Silver Star, Legion of Merit (2 Oak Leaf Clusters), Bronze Star with "V" and 2 OLC, Purple Heart (3 OLC), Air Medal, Croix de Guerre with Palm, Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with Palm, etc.

Old 12-02-2004, 06:14 AM   #6
Allan H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyFCO
All-

Reading the Robert Howard thread made me think about who may have been the highest decorated person in the US military. Howard was obviously the MOST decorated... But who had the most occurances of the highest awards?

In order to make this a little more challenging, let's not count the double-MOH recipients (otherwise I could have answered the question myself!)

Being a Navy guy, my vote goes towards the Navy side: RADM Eugene Fluckey had the MOH and 4 Navy Crosses - pretty tough to beat!

Any other thoughts out there? Perhaps we should divide this between the highest decorated for the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps?

I look forward to your input!

--Dave
SOme to consider, though I am notsaying anything definitive here-
Chesty Puller had five Navy Crosses

Douglas MacArthur had the MOH, DSC, and I believe six Silver Stars and numerous foreign awards for bravery.

Leonard Funk received the MOH, DSC, SS, BS, and PH to be the most highly decorated paratrooper of WWII.

Hugh Mills received four Silver Stars and a number of other medals to rack up 95 awards in Vietnam- without a doubt the most prolificly decorated soldier in Vietnam

Dick Bong was a MOH, DSC recipient and the highest scoring American Ace of WWII, I'm sure he had a rack of DFC's and Air Medals too.

That's enough for now.
Allan

Old 12-02-2004, 07:34 AM   #7
Terry K.
Association Member

Hi All,

I had heard that in WW2 it was MacArthur, Murphy, and Brand as the top three.

Old 12-02-2004, 11:31 AM   #8
Dave Danner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan H.
Chesty Puller had five Navy Crosses
Chesty Puller also had an Army Distinguished Service Cross, so that is a total of six awards of the second-highest decorations the services have. He also had a Silver Star, the Legion of Merit with "V" and one star, the Bronze Star with "V", 3 Air Medals, the Purple Heart, the Haitian Medaille Militaire, the Nicaraguan Presidential Medal of Merit with Diploma, the Nicaraguan Cross of Valor with Diploma and the ROK's Ulchi Medal with Gold Star.

Eddie Rickenbacker received 8 Distinguished Service Crosses, but one was later upgraded to the Medal of Honor. He also had the Legion d'Honneur in the grade of Chevalier and the Croix de Guerre with four Palms.

Here is Puller's rack:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Puller.jpg (91.1 KB, 1216 views)

Old 12-02-2004, 11:38 AM   #9
Dave Danner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chepurko
"Sgt."? That's Sergeant Major to you, puke! Now drop!

One Medal of Honor was from the Boxer Rebellion and the other was from Haiti (1915). His Navy Cross was from Belleau Wood. He also had an Army Distinguished Service Cross, two Secretary of the Navy Letters of Commendation, and the French Medaille Militaire and Croix de Guerre with Palm.

This image predates the award of the Navy Cross:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daly.jpg (70.4 KB, 1209 views)

Old 12-02-2004, 11:38 AM   #10
JaimeH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry K.
Hi All,

I had heard that in WW2 it was MacArthur, Murphy, and Brand as the top three.
If your refering to Nevelle Brand the actor, I heard although highly decorated, it's an urban legend that he was the 3rd most decorated soldier in WWII.

Old 12-02-2004, 11:58 AM   #11
Dave Danner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeH
If your refering to Nevelle Brand the actor, I heard although highly decorated, it's an urban legend that he was the 3rd most decorated soldier in WWII.
Yes this is an urban legend. I have also seen him referred to as "4th most decorated". Neville Brand's decorations were the Silver Star and Purple Heart.

Old 12-02-2004, 01:22 PM   #12
JBFloyd

How many highly decorated angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Col George Day, USAF, holds every Air Force combat decoration from the Medal of Honor to the Purple Heart, plus the Vietnamese National Order, Cross of Gallantry with palm and Psychological Warfare Medal, first class.

Old 12-02-2004, 01:34 PM   #13
Dave Danner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan H.
Douglas MacArthur had the MOH, DSC, and I believe six Silver Stars and numerous foreign awards for bravery
MacArthur had three DSCs and seven Silver Stars. He also had 5 Army DSMs and a Navy DSM, a Distinguished Flying Cross, a Bronze Star and an Air Medal.

Actually, MacArthur had just one Silver Star, #1. It came with six oak leaf clusters:

He also had Purple Heart #1, with an Oak Leaf Cluster. Go here to see his uniforms and awards: http://www.geocities.com/cprofota/amerimdls

Old 12-02-2004, 01:45 PM   #14
Terry K.
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeH

He is the one. I always wondered about him as you hardly ever heard much about what he had done.
Yours,

Old 12-02-2004, 02:25 PM   #15
Greg Sebring
Association Member

....right along with Lee Marvin, Mr. Rogers, and Captain Kangaroo,...all myths.

Sgt. Mahlon E. Sebring, 82nd ABN, 319th Glider Field Arty. A Battery - Normandy to Berlin

As it was their duty to defend our freedom, so it becomes our duty to honor their service.