wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Era Militaria > Tinnies & Political Badges Forum

Tinnies & Political Badges Forum All Political badges, Hitler Youth, Sports/Veteran organizations and Tinnies.

1920 Stahlhelmbund badge
Old 07-14-2013, 04:11 AM   #1
heinrich66

Default 1920 Stahlhelmbund badge

Hi,

even if the Stahlhelmbund badges are not that sought after, i took a long time to find a nice 1920 issue. I already got a 1919 issue around 18 years back and wanted always a 1920 issue to add up.

Badge is not for sale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13_06_16stb1.jpg (83.0 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg 13_06_16stb2.jpg (67.1 KB, 149 views)

Old 07-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
Br. James
Association Member

Congrats, Heinrich! A beautiful, presented piece! It took me many years to add 1919 and 1920 examples to my Stahlhelm collection, too; the large badges are particularly hard to find.

Cheers,

Br. James

Old 07-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
Ron Weinand
Association Member

Has anyone ever sought to estimate what percentage of the Stahlhelm badges were silver marked and issued? I have always wondered what this added to the value of these badges as not all of them are silver marked.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
heinrich66

Hi Ron,

i think there will be no serious guess about the silver ones.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
Br. James
Association Member

An interesting thought/question, Ron. As I understand it, solid silver-marked Stahlhelm Bund Commemorative Badges were available for all dates -- 1918 through 1932 -- though they had to be privately purchased. The standard award examples were of alpaca or German Silver and were usually indicated by an "A" stamped to the badge's reverse. While author J.R. Cone stated that Stahlhelm Commemorative Badges were made in solid silver content ranging from .800 (Coin Silver) up to .935 (a higher-grade silver content than Sterling), I have never seen a solid silver Stahlhelm badge indicating any silver content other than .935. I have fifteen examples of the Stahlhelm Commemorative Badge in my collection, all issued and in successive dates from 1919 through 1932, plus one duplicate of the 1925 badge, unissued. Of these fifteen, five are .935 solid silver, six are marked "A" for German Silver, and four show no silver reference mark at all. I hope this information is helpful to you.

Br. James

Old 07-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
Military
Association Member

The earliest versions of Stahlhelmbund badges are notoriously difficult, if not extremely difficult to find and expensive. I've always contemplated of starting a collection of these Stahlhelmbund badges, but as they say, once you start, its a path of no return! Congrats on those badges. They are lovely.

Mil

Old 07-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #7
Ron Weinand
Association Member

Great info. I, too, have always wanted to form a collection, but the first two years are killers.
Also, I like the 935 issued pieces best, but doesn't everybody.
Thanks

Old 07-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
Br. James
Association Member

Yes, it's true: unless you're buying as a dealer and intending to sell almost everything you buy, as Mil phrased it, "once you start, its a path of no return!" That's certainly the way its been with me; I would guess that I picked up my first issued Stahlhelm Bund Commemorative Badge at least 25 or 30 years ago, and I've never stopped enjoying them! And as you said, Ron: "the first two years are killers" -- and I would extend that even further, to say that the first three years are killers, especially if one is trying to collect both sizes of the Commemorative Badge; remember that this badge was Issued in 35mm for the years 1918 and 1919, and in both 35mm and 30mm for at least 1920 (there may exist 30mm examples for the first two years, as well), and in 30mm only for 1921-1932. I am still missing any size badge for 1918 -- and since the Stahlhelm Bund didn't come into being until Christmas 1918, we see the reason why that year is particularly coveted. My examples dated 1919 and 1920 are 35mm, but I have seen pix of a 1920 badge in 30mm in a collection so I know they existed. I don't recall ever seeing a 1918 or 1919 in 30mm.

Br. James

Old 07-16-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
Richard
Association Member

It did take forever for me to locate the 1919 and 1920 badges. I have never seen a 1918 for sale or auction in recent years and I understand they were limited to five members so they must be considered extremely rare in any form. It is an intriguing challenge to try to complete a set as the 1918 will elude most everyone, though I have seen a collection with 2 of them posted to a thread in this forum. Needless to say, I was quite impressed at this collector's dedication.
Richard V
Mann soll auch seine Feinde lieben!

Old 07-17-2013, 01:33 AM   #10
wilhelm Saris

Location: in the south of the Netherlands (between Venlo and Eindhoven), near the German and Belgium border

"I understand they were limited to five members"

Where do you get that information from? You should get yourself the magazine "MILITARY ADVISOR" from Bender Publishing, volume 23, number 2 from spring 2012 in which an extensive article was published about these Stahlhelm badges (all years are shown, also a number of photographs where badges are worn).
Sixteen pages do cover the article: The "Alte Garde" Stahlhelm Honor Badge. You especially should then read the section: Seventeen Honor Badges "1918" where all name of the persons who were granted one, were listed.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
Br. James
Association Member

I was hoping we'd hear from you, Wim -- you're The Man in regard to this subject, and your essay in "Military Advisor" provides solid background information for anyone interested in researching and/or collecting Stahlhelm Bund artifacts.

Br. James

Old 07-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #12
RGD51

Anyone that would like to buy a fine "A" marked 1927 Stahlhelm badge, maker marked (STH) and dated 2.8.27 can contact me....its for sale.

Robt.

PS.....also have a good 1929 Nurnberg tinnie~~Hofstatter Bonn, plus NSDAP Parteitag Nurnberg 1933 as well.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #13
Richard
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilhelm Saris View Post
"I understand they were limited to five members"

Where do you get that information from? You should get yourself the magazine "MILITARY ADVISOR" from Bender Publishing, volume 23, number 2 from spring 2012 in which an extensive article was published about these Stahlhelm badges (all years are shown, also a number of photographs where badges are worn).
Sixteen pages do cover the article: The "Alte Garde" Stahlhelm Honor Badge. You especially should then read the section: Seventeen Honor Badges "1918" where all name of the persons who were granted one, were listed.
Wilhelm, I stand corrected. Where did I get it from? A bad memory. I do have that excellent article and didn't have it available to me at the time I made the post. I knew the number of 1918 badges was very limited and my memory failed me on the actual number. Thanks for correcting it to prevent the misinformation from spreading.
Richard V
Mann soll auch seine Feinde lieben!