wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Imperial Uniforms and Headgear

Imperial Uniforms and Headgear Imperial German Pickelhaubes and Uniforms.

Opinion on this German Bluse Mdle 1915
Old 06-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
RoyalDragon
Association Member

Default Opinion on this German Bluse Mdle 1915

Hello
This week i found this jacket in a collection with otehr uniform and items . I saw a date 1918 in the ink stampel on the inside . This jacket is original german bluse ?? All botons looks like original applied . Thank your for yours comments .
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 06-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
RoyalDragon
Association Member

ANOTHER PICS OF the INSIDE
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Bavarian Bluse
Old 06-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
Jeff Noll

Default Bavarian Bluse

It sure looks good from the photos. I don't understand the "35" shoulder straps. This was a Prussian unit. It is easy enough to change them and it would not discourage me from buying it.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
Hoss
Expelled

War

Beautiful tunic
Thanks very much for showing, wonderful.

Eric

Old 06-18-2012, 02:27 AM   #5
RoyalDragon
Association Member

Hello
Thank you for yours comments .
The shouldersboards are prussian boards ?? The jacket is not prussian ???
Thank you

Bavarian Feldbluse
Old 06-18-2012, 03:17 AM   #6
Paul B

Default Bavarian Feldbluse

Hello

This is a stunning example of a WWI German feldbluse, and it's Bavarian not Prussian which if anything makes it even more scarce.

Briefly, the M1915 feldbluse was adopted by Prussia in September 1915 with most of the other German states following suit very soon afterwards. The M1915 bluse had a concealed button front and a collar faced with reseda-green "badge cloth" which contrasted with the field-grey material used for the rest of the tunic.

In 1916 Bavaria adopted their version of the M1915 bluse (so technically this is a M1916 Bluse) which was virtually identical to the Prussian model, but the collar was constructed in matching field-grey cloth rather than faced with the reseda-green material. Lace (borte) in the Bavarian state colours of blue and white was applied along the front and edge of the collar, although eventually it was just applied around the front of the collar like on your example before finally being left off altogether.

A further point, the stamping located just below the size markings is a maker's code commonly found on Bavarian cloth items (cap bands, breadbags, etc) and is a bit like a WWI version of the WWII RB numbers. Typically it consists of a rectangular box with a three digit code followed by the letters BD and a numeral -for example I've got a camouflage cap band for the feldmutze stamped "201 BD II". I've only ever seen these codes on Bavarian items, but others might correct me on this.

As Jeff pointed out, the shoulder boards are replacements but seem to be original WWI vintage for Prussian Infantry Regiment Nr 35. There wasn't a Bavarian Infantry Regiment 35, so these have probably been placed on the bluse at a later date for display purposes -many surviving WWI blusen are minus their shoulder boards, so it's no big deal.

Overall it's a rare and superb tunic in absolutely fantastic condition -something I (and many others) would love to have in their collection.

Thanks for showing it, all the best

Paul.

Shoulder Boards
Old 06-18-2012, 03:21 AM   #7
Paul B

Default Shoulder Boards

...there are copies of the "35" shoulder boards in circulation at present, and there is some debate as to the originality of many pairs of these boards which appear on the market. Even if these are reproduction boards added to your tunic, they are easy to remove and in noway detract from what a great example this is.

I notice that there's no field-dressing pocket on the interior skirt lining and that the pocket flaps don't appear to have button holes or buttons -given that this was made in 1918 I wonder if these are late war economy features to speed up production? Also, the two rear skirt buttons may be replacements -the correct type are actually belt-supprt ramps adorned with a button which help to distribute the weight of the soldier's equipment.

Best Regards

Paul.

Last edited by Paul B; 06-18-2012 at 03:51 AM.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #8
RoyalDragon
Association Member

Hello Paul
Thank you very for yours precious comments .
Mathieu

Old 06-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
Robert Evans

This appears to be a very nice Bavarian M-15, and one like this you don't often see. Aside from the shoulder strap question (which can be easily remedied), the buttons above the tail vent appear to be coat buttons rather than the sewn-in belt ramps with the crown button facings. Since the correct side hooks are present, one would expect to see the regulation belt ramps, and it's OK that they are crowns instead of lions.
I would be pleased to have this example, all in all.

Bob

Old 06-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
Chip M

In addition to the observations already made, I might add that the enlisted Bavarian braid, so called "Aschinger-Borte", normally had gray lozenges on the Bluse with the white lozenges being for the enlisted Friedensuniform. I doubt this was always adhered to, but it is something to check further if you see the braid with blue/white colors on a Bluse.

Another reason is that a quantity of original braid, both the metallic officer version and the enlisted version with the white lozenges has been available in the past. I bought several meters of each from spools, back in the 1980s at the Stuttgart Sammlerbörse. The point being, that it is more accessible. You also have to take into account the date in the jacket to see if the Borte on the collar makes sense. For instance, one would not expect to see any braid on a 1918 dated tunic. Best in that case to check out the application, just a precaution.

Chip