wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Era Militaria > Political Organizations

Political Organizations All aspects of Third Reich Political Organizations, including the SA, NSDAP, NSKK, NSFK, HJ, DAF, NSKOV, etc.

Hess NSDAP uniform help!
Old 06-07-2012, 04:53 AM   #1
Jawohl

Default Hess NSDAP uniform help!

Hello, I'm looking to find out if Rudolf Hess ever wore the brown SA long boots with his NSDAP uniform. Most pics of him (or anyone for that matter) don't show the footwear. Pics or a link to a source would be helpful. thanks!

Old 06-07-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
wessel
Association Member

Hi...I don't know where you're looking, but most of the photos of Hess do show him in long boots. Here is a nice one of him with Gauleiter Schwede-Coburg, from 'Reichsminister Rudolf Hess, Zeitgeschichte in Bildern'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hess002.JPG (149.7 KB, 365 views)

Old 06-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
Br. James
Association Member

Hi, and welcome among us! If you have access to "World War II" magazine, the current issue (July/August 2012) features a photo of Rudolf Hess standing in front of Hitler's Mercedes during a march-past of Political Leaders at a Reichsparteitag. Hess is dressed the same as he is shown in Wessel's note below, though you cannot actually see his footwear due to the photo's cropping. But he is typically hatless and wearing his standard PL uniform, including the long boots. The article inside the mag includes another photo from that same moment (p.43), and this photo is of Hess from head to toe, boots and all. As an aside, Hess never wore the SA uniform and only wore the black SS uniform prior to his appointment as Deputy Führer in October of 1933, after which he never wore the SS uniform again. After his appointment, Hess wore a uniform unique to his position as Deputy Führer, bearing the same simplicity as Hitler's uniforms of the time. There were no collar tabs, shoulder boards or brassard for either the Führer or his Deputy; they both counted on being recognizable directly. Of course, the uniforms they wore did resemble the SA uniforms of the time, as did the PL uniforms, but always without rank insignia.

Br. James

Old 06-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
Jawohl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br. James View Post
After his appointment, Hess wore a uniform unique to his position as Deputy Führer, bearing the same simplicity as Hitler's uniforms of the time. There were no collar tabs, shoulder boards or brassard for either the Führer or his Deputy; they both counted on being recognizable directly. Of course, the uniforms they wore did resemble the SA uniforms of the time, as did the PL uniforms, but always without rank insignia.

Br. James
Thanks fellows! Yes, I see the brown boots in Wessel's photo there, but I meant with the uniform BRJ refers to, the simple tunic'd uni as per Hitler's--not the blouse affair. Can I assume he also wore the brown boots with the tunic'd outfit? Any photos of him in that outfit, with brown boots in evidence?
Thanks, chaps

Old 06-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
wessel
Association Member

Understand..here's a couple ...same source.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg H001.JPG (147.9 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg H003.JPG (58.8 KB, 343 views)

Old 06-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
Jawohl

Thanks Wessel! Much appreciated. Can't quite make out if they're black or brown on screen...what would you say?

Old 06-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
ErichS
Association Member

On a side note, I don't remember seeing Hess pictured wearing his BO. Anyone have one?

A Collector Of Awards, Items And Art Of The NSDAP

Old 06-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
wessel
Association Member

Erich, I know you love your BOs!....Here is Hess at Hitler's 50th Birthday celebrations (same source).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg h002.JPG (58.4 KB, 296 views)

Old 06-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
Br. James
Association Member

Hi Jawohl,

According to the Organisationsbuch der NSDAP, 1943 Edition, the Political Leaders and the SA were all standardized wearing long boots in black by that time. This was perhaps according to the 1939 major uniform code revision, though I do not have a copy of a pre-1943 Edition of the Organisationsbuch to compare with. You would need to check a 1938 Edition as to the footwear of the PL and the SA to identify the change. As a footnote, I believe the German Army Officer Corps changed from brown leather belts, holsters and boots of the pre-Nazi period to all black at the beginning of WWII, which would tie into the general NSDAP uniform code revision and standardization.

Br. James

Old 06-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
ErichS
Association Member

Thanks Wessel!

A Collector Of Awards, Items And Art Of The NSDAP

Old 06-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #11
wessel
Association Member

Further to Br. James' post, here is an April 1939 coloured photo showing black boots with the brown PL tunic (Source: Chinese Magazine).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p001.JPG (60.7 KB, 215 views)

Old 06-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
Br. James
Association Member

Thanks for posting that photo of Dr. Porsche showing off his new Kubelwagen models to Hitler and Dr. Ley. This photo presents a very interesting snapshot of history in the making, as the newly revised uniform code is captured on film amid the process of changing! The PL on the far right is wearing long boots in black as per the revision, though none of the PLs in the photo have changed either their caps or their brassards to the new designs as yet, save Dr. Ley, who has completely adopted it. This makes sense because it was his doing that caused all the changes!

While I can easily understand why standardization of leather colors is advantageous over a variety of colors in terms of focusing supply, especially as the German War Economy already effected all areas of life, and the response of Das Heer in coordinating all leather colors to black ably speaks to that need, I still wonder about the decision to switch to black boots and shoes while retaining brown leather belts and holsters for the PL and SA uniforms. The use of brown throughout was tasteful, IMO, but switching to black boots while retaining brown belts -- especially for uniforms that are basically shades of brown throughout -- is simply jarring. The only reason I can think of is the wish to retain the look of the Brown Shirt Traditions Uniform used by the SA and the PL and not wanting to force everyone to essentially change history itself by switching to black belts and cross-straps when wearing the Traditions Uniform, and thus causing all of the different organizations who wore the Traditions Brown Shirt to look like the SS and NSKK.

Br. James

Old 06-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
Br. James
Association Member

According to my copy of "Die Uniformen und Abzeichen der SA, SS, HJ, des Stahlhelm, Brig. Ehrhardt, Amtswalter, NSBO, NSKK" which was published in 1933 and includes color plates of examples of the uniforms of the organizations mentioned, both the PL an the SA were wearing long boots in brown at that time -- the one exception was the Motor SA, which was dressed like the NSKK with black breeches and long boots. However, I was able to locate a color plate from the 1938 Edition of the Organisationsbuch and it shows the SA wearing long boots in black at that early date.

Br. James

Old 06-12-2012, 03:03 AM   #14
chrischa
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wessel View Post
Further to Br. James' post, here is an April 1939 coloured photo showing black boots with the brown PL tunic (Source: Chinese Magazine).
Hello.

Has this photo not been coloured post war and was originally black and white?

Regards,
Chris.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:40 AM   #15
magnusmilitaria
Association Member

Nice photos, post it more!
LUG Z,streight9,...

magnusmilitaria@gmail.com