wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > International Militaria Forum

International Militaria Forum Rest of the World Militaria.

East Indies Stahlhelm
Old 12-15-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
garde

Lightbulb East Indies Stahlhelm

Hello iím a collector from indonesia, and i want to share my collection in here. Iím just starting collecting helmet in this past half year and i manage to got 2 stahlhelm in here. This stahlhelm at that time was worn by the units of dutch colonial forces (KNIL). For the truth is, there's still a mystery about how this stahlhelm got in here. It was said that the batavian government ordered stahlhelm from china, others said the batavian government make this helmet in the braat company in surabaya (after the fall of netherlands in 1940) based on the witness, and some of the helmet was a war booty from north africa (via-british).
The unit which equipped by the stahlhelm was :
stadswacht (militia) in solo (my hometown)

stadswacht medan

surabaya harbor guard

and luchtbeschermingdienst (air raid service)

LBD photos from http://www.niod.nl/

After the japanese left, this stahlhelm was worn by the indonesian guerrillas

Stahlhelm in the ambarawa museum

Here's my collection:
The orange colored helmet

A "112" number on the rear of the helmet

A writing "I IV F E" inside the helmet

The rivet

The liner ring

The air vent

The green colored helmet

The rivet shape

The air vent
Both helmet don't have any stamp maker and decal.
And whatís your opinion on these stahlhelm?

Last edited by garde; 12-15-2011 at 09:58 PM.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
Jan Klaassen

That's fascinating! Didn't know the KNIL used this sort of German-style helmets!

Old 12-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
blinky
Association Member

Wow, this is a treat! I wish I could add more information but this is a first for me. From the period photographs it looks like a combination of various ideas: the shell from the German helmet, the leather flap from the KNIL helmet and a chinstrap inspired by the British helmet.
Something else kind of interesting is the writing you noted that looks like "I IV F E" to me looks a lot like Japanse katakana "ERUTIYO" with the last kana being written backwards?

Thank you for sharing, now I know what I want for Christmas this year

Eric

Last edited by blinky; 12-16-2011 at 01:34 PM.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
blinky
Association Member

After the "E" could there by any chance be another marking? Looking at it again it almost looks like there could be a small " type mark to the upper right of the "ti" making it "pi" making the word "erupiyo(n)".....eruopean.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
garde

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky View Post
Wow, this is a treat! I wish I could add more information but this is a first for me. From the period photographs it looks like a combination of various ideas: the shell from the German helmet, the leather flap from the KNIL helmet and a chinstrap inspired by the British helmet.
Something else kind of interesting is the writing you noted that looks like "I IV F E" to me looks a lot like Japanse katakana "ERUTIYO" with the last kana being written backwards?

Thank you for sharing, now I know what I want for Christmas this year

Eric
Quote:
After the "E" could there by any chance be another marking? Looking at it again it almost looks like there could be a small " type mark to the upper right of the "ti" making it "pi" making the word "erupiyo(n)".....eruopean.
Your welcome.
Wow, katakana? I never thought about that. I wonder why the "ti" / "gi" and "yo" was written backward? And no other marking.
"erupiyo" or "erugiyo"? Is this a japanese person name or something?
And what do you think about the liner ring? The liner ring is similar with the chinese made stahlhelm. http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=358699
And i still wondering, why the rivet shape in the green stahlhelm is different with the orange one.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
blinky
Association Member

The writing is odd. I could be wrong about it being katakana but that's what it looks like to me. One explaination about the "E" being backwards is that it was written by a non-native Japanese, someone more familiar the letter E.....when I was learning katakana I slipped up on that more than once. If you don't mind I'd like to post that on the Japanese section and see what any of the native speakers have to say about it. (I'm probably wrong

You're right about the liner band in your helmet matching up to the liner band in Nick's Chinese made M-35 helmet, they do look identical. I suspect your helmets were Chinese made copies of the M-35 imported by the Dutch before the Japanese invasion and not German made M-35 helmets. The differences in the rivet shape is probably due to the fact that the Chinese weren't making these under strict conditions....there were probably a few different smaller factories making the helmets and others making the helmet fittings. It's very possible after the Dutch surrender in Europe the forces in Indonesia realized they needed to improve their military situation and the only available option was to trade oil and gasoline to China for military goods. The Chinese were in short supply of their own military goods but they were in even shorter supply of oil and gas. I don't see the Dutch on Indonesia making their own steel helmets from scratch, especially in this style simply out of pride and what this helmet would represent to the Dutch people.
Does this make sense? To me at least a Chinese origin for these seems most logical even though I had never heard of any of them being exported. They are obviously rare even in Indonesia. It would be interesting to know of any trade between there and China just before the Japanese invaded.

eric

Old 12-17-2011, 09:54 PM   #7
garde

Quote:
The writing is odd. I could be wrong about it being katakana but that's what it looks like to me. One explaination about the "E" being backwards is that it was written by a non-native Japanese, someone more familiar the letter E.....when I was learning katakana I slipped up on that more than once. If you don't mind I'd like to post that on the Japanese section and see what any of the native speakers have to say about it. (I'm probably wrong

You're right about the liner band in your helmet matching up to the liner band in Nick's Chinese made M-35 helmet, they do look identical. I suspect your helmets were Chinese made copies of the M-35 imported by the Dutch before the Japanese invasion and not German made M-35 helmets. The differences in the rivet shape is probably due to the fact that the Chinese weren't making these under strict conditions....there were probably a few different smaller factories making the helmets and others making the helmet fittings. It's very possible after the Dutch surrender in Europe the forces in Indonesia realized they needed to improve their military situation and the only available option was to trade oil and gasoline to China for military goods. The Chinese were in short supply of their own military goods but they were in even shorter supply of oil and gas. I don't see the Dutch on Indonesia making their own steel helmets from scratch, especially in this style simply out of pride and what this helmet would represent to the Dutch people.
Does this make sense? To me at least a Chinese origin for these seems most logical even though I had never heard of any of them being exported. They are obviously rare even in Indonesia. It would be interesting to know of any trade between there and China just before the Japanese invaded.

eric
Hmm maybe the writer was an indonesian? Maybe that lad got equipped with this helmet and he decide to write his name?
Anyway is there any japanese unit which equipped with orange colored helmet like this one? I suspect the japanese repainted this helmet because i found a green paint below the orange one. Green color is the standard of the knil helmet i guess. Anyway i found a similar color helmet sold in here .
Based on the info i got, knil indeed made their stahlhelm copying from the chinese one. And braat company also made helmet based on the verblifa.
And do you know how to edit a thread?

Old 12-18-2011, 12:53 PM   #8
NickG
Association Member

Interesting subject matter. The "Stadswacht" was a "Home Guard" type unit using whatever was available and many also used regular Dutch helmets but I guess those were in short supply.

When ww1 ended many German troops crossed the Dutch border on their way home (shortest route) and allowed passage but had to surrender all their equipment so many ww1 stahlhelms ended up in Holland and used by para military Dutch units in Holland like air raid warning officials.
I would not be surprized if even those ww1 German types were also exported to the colonies (and possibly refurbished with different liners)

Anyway the helmets illustrated are the newer styles and based on the hardware probably Chinese stahlhelm copies. That would make most sense, procuring these locally in Asia!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motorknil4.jpg (80.9 KB, 259 views)

Old 12-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #9
garde

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG View Post
Interesting subject matter. The "Stadswacht" was a "Home Guard" type unit using whatever was available and many also used regular Dutch helmets but I guess those were in short supply.

When ww1 ended many German troops crossed the Dutch border on their way home (shortest route) and allowed passage but had to surrender all their equipment so many ww1 stahlhelms ended up in Holland and used by para military Dutch units in Holland like air raid warning officials.
I would not be surprized if even those ww1 German types were also exported to the colonies (and possibly refurbished with different liners)

Anyway the helmets illustrated are the newer styles and based on the hardware probably Chinese stahlhelm copies. That would make most sense, procuring these locally in Asia!
Ah so that's why the dutch acquired the m16 stahlhelm. Thank you for the information.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
blinky
Association Member

So Braatz produced German M-35 style helmets in Indonesia based on the chinese helmets? This is a very interesting topic, I don't think there is much written on helmets used in Indonesia other than the KNIL. The only Indonesian helmet I have is a typical Dutch KNIL that I did get from someone in Indonesia a few years ago. All of a sudden I'm discovering all kinds of very interesting helmets from there

Old 12-30-2011, 03:27 AM   #11
garde

Question

Quote:
So Braatz produced German M-35 style helmets in Indonesia based on the chinese helmets? This is a very interesting topic, I don't think there is much written on helmets used in Indonesia other than the KNIL. The only Indonesian helmet I have is a typical Dutch KNIL that I did get from someone in Indonesia a few years ago. All of a sudden I'm discovering all kinds of very interesting helmets from there
Oh is it verblifa helmet (the one got the emblem in front)? Or the milsco? Or even a braat?
Great to hear that.
I'm starting collecting helmet after i accidentally got a milsco helmet from flea market in my hometown.
About the dutch knil helmet, i got 1 milsco, 2 braat - verblifa clone ( 2 different size), and lately i still want to buy another mysterious braat helmet. This particular helmet got a different measurement compared with the existed braat helmet!