wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Era Militaria > Eric-Jan Bakker Wehrpass and Soldbuch Forum

Eric-Jan Bakker Wehrpass and Soldbuch Forum Documents and IDs the Wehrmacht.

SS ID tag (EKM) "Hohenstaufen"
Old 10-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
m-e-h-t

Default SS ID tag (EKM) "Hohenstaufen"

Him

what do you think about that Erkennungsmarke?

Thanks for comments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bild 003.jpg (111.3 KB, 583 views)
File Type: jpg Bild 002.jpg (196.8 KB, 584 views)

Old 10-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
Ludwig

IMO not original.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
Battlerelic
Association Member

IMO fake.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
christof
Association Member

I agree fake !

Old 10-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
Frontalschaden

Hello

I dislike it, too !

Best regards, Fronti

opinions!?!?
Old 10-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
arnhem

Default opinions!?!?

Nowadays fakes make collecting not easy.What makes it really difficult is not recognizing an original and a quick opinion based on a lack of knowledge.
I do love it
A fine convincing original piece.
Personelly i think this dogtag is one of the nicest to get.
I hope there will be forum members who do recognice it as a fine original.

Not knowing whether it,s an original is nothing to be ashamed off but suggesting it,s a fake while not knowing is wrong .

As long as your fakes are as original as this dogtag,let me know and I,ll buy it

Regards Mark

Last edited by arnhem; 10-17-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:20 AM   #7
Bond

Trying to learn on these, so can I ask why it is a fake? 4 said it was fake and 1 said it was good, but no one gave any reasons as to why.

Regards,

Jerry

Old 11-09-2011, 06:06 AM   #8
Battlerelic
Association Member

Parts of the letters and numbers are missing. This is not a stamping defect, but rather laser-faking defect. I don't like the shape of the bottoms of the stampings either; they are flat which is very uncommon in original tags.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:41 AM   #9
don_kihotis7
Association Member

Yes but it seems weird coz normally a faker would try his best to make nice, sharp and flawless letters right?

Old 11-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #10
Frontalschaden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlerelic View Post
Parts of the letters and numbers are missing. This is not a stamping defect, but rather laser-faking defect.

Hello

The tag isn`t lasered, it is stamped !

Best regards, Fronti

Old 11-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #11
m-e-h-t

From the quality and the source, I got it from, I can tell you, it is 100% good.

Its the 2nd "Hohenstaufen" disk I owned, both from good sources, and both were made identical, from stainless steel, with the exact identical dimensions.

By the way, the backside shows VERY clear, that it is stamped, not lasered!

Cheers
Udo

Old 11-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #12
Lionel H.

Hi Guyz. Interesting Subject. For me too, this Dog-Tag is unfortunately a fake. I find normal that Arnhem, Bond and Don are asking for more Explanations. It is quite difficult to do it with my poor English, but I will try to be understandable by you all.
Considering ANY Dog tag, Heer or SS, ther are 2 points

1) The technical aspect : "how is made a Dog-Tag"
2) The historical aspect.

Discussing the technical aspect is not my "cup of Tea", they are probably a bunch of Guys there who are able to do it better as I can...

Concerning the Historical aspect : All SS and Army Dog tags were not stamped in the fighting unit, but in the Formation Units where the Soldiers where incorporated. up to 1943 most called "E.u.A.Btl." (Ersatz und Ausbildung Bataillon). Please find an example thereafter with another SS Division that I studied for Years, the 17.SS.Pz.Gren.Div."GvB". Her you have the detail from the origin of the 5600 first enlisted Men of the Unit. All this men received in their formation unit their Dog Tag, for an example "SS-Pz.Gren.Ausb.u.Ers.Rgt.2 - Nr.184 - Blutgruppe A". You will never see on the Tags from this 5600 Men any mention "Götz von Berlichingen". It was exactly the same for the Hohenstaufen and all "late" SS-Unit.

Wenn the Soldier lost his Dog-Tag , I hade to say it immediatly to his Chief. His Chief was his Company-Commander. All replacement dog Tag where not Stamped by the Divisional level, but the Company Level. It was then 2 solutions : the unit used their "Roster" number in the Unit (most under 250, which was the average "Soll" from SS-Units), or made new list with Men receiving new Dog Tag. In this case, the Number are much lower. For an example "2./SS.Pz.Gren.Rgt.37 - 12 - Bl.A". Once more, you will not see much of these replacement Tags wearing any reference to the Division.

Even if the Men lost his dog-Tag was member of the Divisional Staff, this dog Tag would be "Div.Stab/Pz.Gren.Div."GvB" - 13". and not the divisional Name alone.
Then, a Divisional Dog Tag with a "30.000" N" makes NO SENSE. Of course, such a spectacular Tag will be easier to sell for the Faker than any "SS-Pz.Gren.Ausb.u.Ers.Btl.17 - 987 - B" !!!!

I've tried to convince you, please see nothing offensive in it. If anybody on this forum shows me an SS-Soldbuch (Erkennungsmarke is always written on page 1) showing a Dog Tag mention with the DIVISION NAME in clear attached with such a Number, I will present you all Guys my apologies.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #13
m-e-h-t

"Hohenstaufen" was IMO one of, I guess, 3 German Divisions, which count not on Kompanie level, but on Division level.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #14
Paul E
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-e-h-t View Post
"Hohenstaufen" was IMO one of, I guess, 3 German Divisions, which count not on Kompanie level, but on Division level.
Would be interesting as 708 VGD says if anyone could provide Soldbuch evidence of Div level tags with such high numbers !!

Old 11-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #15
don_kihotis7
Association Member

Hi 708 your reply is very well explained and detailed. Unfortunately i'm not that educated on ERKs to express my opinion and agree or disagree. I have an ERK from Hohenstaufen division which it was given to me by the veteran's son but it is very plain and doesn't look like what you posted. It doesn't have stamped the division's name nor the abreviation for pz or btl or anything.
The obverse reads: SS- Verfugungstruppe and a ''V'' above whilst the reverse reads: 3. S.E.K. 126.