wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > U.S. Militaria Forum

U.S. Militaria Forum Militaria of the United States of America.

Does anyone have Steve J Brodek WWII effects?
Old 07-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #1
hln806
Suspended

Default Does anyone have Steve J Brodek WWII effects?

Does anyone have anything of Private Steven J Brodek 17th Airborne WWII Glider personal effects?

I have been searching for 29 yrs for a piece of my father. My parent's divorced when I was very young and at the age of seven my mother left Ohio and took me with her. I remember my father waving goodbye with tears in his eyes. Little did I know that this was to be the last time I was to see my father. He passed away several months later alone in a hospital room, holding a picture of me and a card I had been allowed to send him. While my father lie dieing his apartment was broken into and everything was stolen. There was nothing left, nothing for a little girl to hold onto. My father was and is truly me HERO, my son is named after him. I grew up with a not so perfect childhood and stepfather. All I had was the memory of my Dad, Steve Brodek. I thought all hope was lost in finding anything that was his, a part of him. When I saw a post that someone on this site had my father's uniform, IKE jacket, purple heart, Ruptured Duck, and several other medals. I cried for two days and the thought of holding a piece of him again kept me up at night. The gentlemen that had it says he traded it to someone at the MAX convention in Pittsburgh in 2009 or 2010. Please help me in anyway so I can bring something of him Home!! I have missed him everyday of my life. I am now 36 years old, an only child, and once the apple of my father's eye. He has missed so much of my life and I have missed what could have been. Please help me hold him again! It would truely complete me. Thanks, Heather

Old 07-29-2011, 05:06 AM   #2
Paul Chepurko

I hope you find your Dad's stuff, Good Luck.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:40 AM   #3
Mr.Jerry D
Association Member

Heather, you may also want to try the US Military Forum:
http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/

Old 07-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
Bob Carter

Under the research 101 section of this forum member ID - HISTORIKNUT states he has/had this Ike jacket and was trying to rearch it.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #5
hln806
Suspended

I spoke with Historiknut and he traded the uniform to someone at the MAX show but doesn't remember who. Haven't heard back if he has the IKE jacket, purple heart, ruptured duck, t5 stripes that he mentioned in a second post. Still hopeful. Thank you all for your help and comments they mean a lot. Heather

Old 07-30-2011, 12:26 AM   #6
HoovieDude

Your parents must've started very late in life if your only 36? I was born in 67 to parents whose parents had them during the war.

Late start
Old 07-30-2011, 07:27 AM   #7
Z19
Association Member

Default Late start

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoovieDude View Post
Your parents must've started very late in life if your only 36? I was born in 67 to parents whose parents had them during the war.
Thats not unususal back then. About a year ago I went to meet a lady who said she had her dads military uniform and some other stuff so I automaticly assumed WWII....wrong. I walked into her den and she had 2 couches full of WWI stuff. The most complete and awesome WWI grouping I have ever seen to a guy who was in the Rainbow division. Anyway, she goes on to tell me about her dad and it turns out when she was born he was 67!!! And to beat that she ends up having 3 siblings younger than her!! Now that was a hell of a man!! Alex

Old 07-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #8
hln806
Suspended

Yah I guess some people could think it is a little unusual. My father was 51 when I was born in Jan of 1975 turning 52 in Dec of that year. Even in school when I told a teacher that my dad fought in WWII they had a "really are you sure" reaction. He had been married before my mother for something like 20 yrs and his wife couldn't have children. His first wife passed away from cancer and years later he married my mother. They only had one child, me.

Last edited by hln806; 07-30-2011 at 10:55 AM.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:17 AM   #9
tigertoby

Good luck on your search.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #10
p-59a
Association Member

Heather, I look for military aircraft crash sites. From time to time I find personnel effects from pilots and or crew. In returning the personnel effects I have forged contacts at the Veterans Administration. With thier help I am able to aquire the personnel records of the service men whos personnel effects I have found. These records are copys of the paper work the soldier filled out upon entry into the service in thier own hand writing. The information usualy has mom and dads birth info along with any siblings and addresses. Your dad survived the war so you will not find a record of insurance payments, but with names and locations you can contact the court house, county records or librarys in those towns and track down your dads next of kin. Your dads obituary may have names and locations of his next of kin. If your dad had brothers or sisters you have a good chance of tracking down these people or there children and finding items that belonged to your dad, like letters home. If I have the county and state my guy was from I will have the opperator give me the phone numbers for everyone with that last name and call all of them looking for leads. It is alot of work, but in the end I have always found next of kin (even 60+ years after they died) and returned the personnel effects. Good Luck!!! David P.S. As next of kin you are entitaled at no cost a replacement set of any medals or awards your dad may have earned while serving his country durring WW2. Contact the National Personnel Records Center (Military Personnel Records) at 9700 Page Boulevard, St. Louis MO. to get the ball rolling. Remember to contact the Veterans Administration in your area to get actual copys of your dads enlistment papers. Be sure to ask both of them for all the paperwork they have!!!!

Last edited by p-59a; 07-30-2011 at 06:06 PM.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:14 PM   #11
blinky
Association Member

Suspended?

Old 07-31-2011, 02:53 AM   #12
Ron C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoovieDude View Post
I will be 72 in October........my son was 14 the day before yesterday. My daughter was born in 1966. So I agree it is not totally "unheard of" even in today's world.

As Blinky said "Suspended? "..........I too am curious as to why.

Ron

Old 07-31-2011, 10:11 AM   #13
Jean-Loup
Association Member

Could a moderator explain if something fishy turned up regarding this thread?

Old 10-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #14
jlb806

Just wanted to respond. Thank you so much for the helpfull advice. My daughter's account and mine were suspended for multiple user accounts, not sure, but I think because we both had an account at the same time. I was reinstated and am sure she will be too. Nothing fishy! Just trying to give her a connection to her father that has been lost. FYI no family members have any of his personal things all were stolen when he died. If anything turns up of Steve Brodek's please let me know I do have armbands of German soldiers he brought back from the war and maybe we could trade (somehow I have that and no of his actual things). Thanks, Janet (Heather's mom)