wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > U.S. Militaria Forum

U.S. Militaria Forum Militaria of the United States of America.

value of wwii medals
Old 05-08-2004, 01:21 PM   #1
grovb
Association Member

Default value of wwii medals

What is the value of a wwii purple heart, bronze star, combat infantry badge, german occupation badge, wwii victory medal, Defensive service medal, and EAME campiagn medal. Can you give me their values by themselves and all together. What does EAME stand for, I know its for Europe.

Old 05-08-2004, 01:27 PM   #2
grovb
Association Member

Also please tell me the value of them when they are boxes.

Thanks,
and much appreciation,
Brandyn Grove

Old 05-08-2004, 01:36 PM   #3
Allan H.

I am going to qualify this by saying that I am quoting the purchase of "vintage" individual medals and badges and not a grouping to one soldier. If you are looking to buy, here is what to expect:
WWII Purple Heart, $30-35
Bronze Star, $25
Combat Infantry Badge, $20 (clutchback sterling)
American Defense Medal, $15
American Campaign Medal, $10
European, African, Middle Eastern Campaign medal, $15
World War II Vicotry Medal, $10
Occupation Medal with "Germany" bar, $15

New made medals will be priced the same as vintage pieces, but are worth about half the price.
If you are looking to sell, then they will be worth more with a name and if sold as a group.
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovb
What is the value of a wwii purple heart, bronze star, combat infantry badge, german occupation badge, wwii victory medal, Defensive service medal, and EAME campiagn medal. Can you give me their values by themselves and all together. What does EAME stand for, I know its for Europe.

Old 05-08-2004, 03:29 PM   #4
Garth Thompson
Association Member

Allan is dead on the money. The only thing I'd add is if the medal boxes are US Mint to the Navy, Coast Guard or USMC that would bump the values up a little but not substancially.

Garth

Old 05-09-2004, 08:49 AM   #5
Calvin Hall
Lifetime Member

Not know much about the value of US medals, I am surpised that the Purple Heart is worth more than a Bronze Star. I would assume many more PHs were issued than Bronze Stars.

Also, what is the value of a Purple Heart award document?

Thanks!

Calvin

Desperately seeking a Juncker Knights Cross ribbon loop and well used Knights Cross ribbon!!!

Old 05-09-2004, 09:42 AM   #6
Allan H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chall
Not know much about the value of US medals, I am surpised that the Purple Heart is worth more than a Bronze Star. I would assume many more PHs were issued than Bronze Stars.

Also, what is the value of a Purple Heart award document?

Thanks!

Calvin
Calvin,
The two questions are pretty generic, but the Bronze Star medal is FAR more common to find than a Purple Heart. Add the fact that the Purple Heart is a gorgeous medal and easily recognizeable to even thefurthest removed from military knowledge, it means that families tend to keep them more.

As for the question of Purple Heart Award documents, that one REALLY runs the gamut. You can by original unissued certificates on eBay for around $15.
A Named example will depend on the era and what is known of the individual named on the document and the date printed thereon.
World War II documents are the most common, but based on the unit, and whether the guy was wounded or killed, a huge difference in values. Sailors tend to bring less than Army, and Marines bring more than the Army ones in General. Elite units bring exponentially higher amounts of money. For example, the most valuable certificates would be to sailors aboard the Arizona, or the Nevada, Marines on Guadalcanal, soldiers wounded or KIA in Normandy, etc.
Also, certicates that were dated well after the event tend to be worth far less to collectors than ones from the period of the wound.

I haven't touched Korea, Vietnam, Cold War certificates (which are VERY rare and highly collectible) and later awards.
The prices are wide open in this area of collecting.
Allan