wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Era Militaria > Police & Civil Organizations Forum

Police & Civil Organizations Forum Police, RAD, Luftschutz, Org. Todt and other civil support organizations

Geheime Staatspolizei ID Disk (Square; Niederhagen)
Old 05-29-2011, 11:50 PM   #1
whatthecrunchyo
Association Member

Default Geheime Staatspolizei ID Disk (Square; Niederhagen)

Can anyone help me ID this disk? I bought it at an antique store for about $50. I took a gamble with it not knowing what it was, so hopefully it is authentic! The detail is very good on it and it appears to be solid bronze. It is fairly heavy and it appears to be worn around the corners. It has at least a little bit of age on it because there is green stuff growing in between some of the numbers and letters. I took the pictures in different lights but the picture of the back is closer to the actual color.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
Waffe

Have a look at Don Bible's site "Warrant Discs of the Gestapo & Kripo". He is the authority on this subject. He mentions that no originals ever had anything stamped under the eagle ('M' number). He also does not show any square shaped discs on his site.

Regards,

Kent G.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
Jon. H
Association Member

Sadly the disc is fantasy product of the 4th Reich. They never existed period with that design.

Bernard Baruch

Old 05-30-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
SiPo
Association Member

Can't see your pics for some reason.

However, it doesn't matter as Gestapo Discs should be a silver colour NOT bronze, and the square "Zentral Inspektion" examples, which I believe this may be, are not original.

Also, Town/City details would be okay on the reverse side of pre 1937 discs however, these are NOT Gestapo discs and happen to be oval in shape.

YNWA: Justice For The 96

Old 05-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
whatthecrunchyo
Association Member

Ok, thanks for all of the information guys. If you look closely under the "STAATSPOLIZEI" you can see ghost lettering of the same letters. Anybody have a clue as to how that might of happened or why it happened? This thing wasn't converted from a round to a square was it? I don't know why someone would do that but I just didn't understand why the lettering was underneath.

I did a little search on Niederhagen and it was in fact an early war concentration camp.

Here is an excerpt from wikipedia:

"The deaths of 1,285 prisoners are recorded. They died of hunger, cold, disease and the consequences of ill-treatment. In 1942, a crematorium was built specifically for the camp. The Gestapo also used the camp as a place for executions. A total of 56 people,from Westphalia-Lippe, including women and children, were executed there on the orders of Heinrich Himmler.[2] In the period from 1 September 1941 to 1 May 1943, the camp was an independent concentration camp. Before, it had been a satellite camp first of the Sachsenhausen and then of the Buchenwald concentration camp. From 1943, only 50 people were imprisoned at Niederhagen, and on 2 April 1945, the prisoners were liberated by the American army."

I don't doubt this is a fake, but why would a counterfeiter do this for such an obscure camp?

Last edited by whatthecrunchyo; 05-30-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
MJC
Association Member

Not to comment on the disk, but Niederhagen was not an 'obscure' camp. To those in the know, it is the sub-camp for the Reichsfuehrerschule SS at Wewelsburg. The faker is clever enough to recognize the additional value this alleged association would bring to the disk.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
Jon. H
Association Member

These disc's are almost always "named" to a concentration camp, i've seen them for plenty of camps and i believe i have one myself marked with "guson".

Bernard Baruch

Old 05-30-2011, 11:07 AM   #8
SiPo
Association Member

Bingo, I can now see the pics!

Old 05-30-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
SiPo
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthecrunchyo View Post
This thing wasn't converted from a round to a square was it?

No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthecrunchyo View Post
Anybody have a clue as to how that might of happened or why it happened?

Unfortunately, due to it being a poorly made fake.