wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Community Forums > Collections Display Forum

Collections Display Forum Whether your collection is 5 or 500, share it here! Also share cabinets, storage, display and cataloging techniques.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #46
Acez84

I have been trying to find out as much as possible about a relative of mine, Gordon J Aamot who was in the U.S - 99th infantry batallion. This batallion was largely made up of Americans with Norwegian roots. I have a couple of pictures, some contact with his son and the memories of my grandmother who was his cousin. Some general information:

Battalion 99 is the name used in Norway for the 99th Infantry Battalion (Separate), created in the United States 10 July 1942. The battalion was originally intended mission in a war campaign in the German-occupied Norway. The crews were volunteers first and second generation Norwegian immigrants to the United States, and a few Swedes and Finns. A significant part of battalion soldiers were Norwegians, mostly sailors, who were stranded in the U.S. from 1940 to 1943. They enlisted the U.S. Army as Norwegian citizens, but became a naturalized citizen before they went into battle.

Battalion 99 was never in combat in Norway, but from 22 June 1944 inserted on the European continent.

Gordon´s father, Hans Aamot was born in Norway in 1882 and moved to the United
States in 1899. Gordon grew up in the states and served in the 99th infantry batallion. Private First Class Gordon J. Aamot (37171562) was a light machine gunner in Captain Howard Winholtz’ Company D. After the battles in Rhinland - Würzlen he was upgraded to heavy machine gunner. He was either in the 1st or 2nd platoon, D Company. A search reveals that he probably partook in these theatres:

* Normandie – 22. june 1944 - 24. july 1944
* Northern-France – 25. june 1944 - 14. september 1944
* Rhinland (Würzlen - Aachen) – 15. september 1944 - 16. december 1944
* Ardennene-Alsace – 17. december 1944 - 18. january 1945
* Central-Europa – 4. april 1945 - 11. may 1945

In 1945 Gordon visited Norway during the celebration of the liberation. On 30 May 1945, Battalion 99 together with other elements from the 474th Regiment embarked at Le Havre bound for Norway. Part of the battalion landed in Drammen 4 June, while the main force landed in Oslo on 5 June. On 7 June, the Battalion 99 honor guard at the King Haakon VII's return and was placed at his right hand as he stepped ashore in Oslo. Gordon was a musician and played the accordian. During his days in Norway he played on the Norwegian radio station NRK. He also visited relatives and gave my grandmother the picture above. It was taken in the states.

During his stay in Norway was laid on 99 Battalion Smestad. The problems were mainly security, disarmament and repatriation of the German forces. The 17 October 1945 the battalion returned to the United States with S / S "Bienville". The ship arrived in Boston on 1 november 1945 and the battalion was then officially dissolved. Gordon Aamot lived in North Dakota after the war. He married and moved to Tacoma (Washington state) to work for Boeing around 1949. My grandmother on the left-hand side, and Gordon beside her.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what his ribbon-bars signify. I have tried to find their meaning, but have had some trouble. On his right side breastpoket is the ruptured duck badge. On his left-side shoulder is the 99th insignia (viking ship on red back). He seems to have a strange version of the Infantryman´s Badge. The rest is harder to interpret:

1 - ?
2 - Good conduct medal bar
3 - U.S Asiatic Pacific Campaign ???
4 - ?

Hope someone can shed some light on Gordon´s ribbon-bars

Last edited by Acez84; 07-30-2012 at 07:21 PM.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #47
Acez84

Here are some strange camouflage clothes made from oil cloth. It found in an attic here in Norway. In addition to the long coat displayed below, there are trousers and a smaller jacket made from the same material. The hood and brodie-helmet cover was bought from International Military Antiques who claim it was produced in Canada. I have never seen this in any collection or on the web except on IMA.

Info from IMA
: Actually made in Canada during WW2, these Tommy Helmet covers are marked with Maker's name and date. Each is manufactured from, what would almost appear to be Oil Cloth, these are "elastic" edged helmet covers with Havelocks (Neck Guards).

These are exceptionally rare and VERY FRAGILE after 65+ years of storage, as most were un-issued and are being unfolded by IMA for the very first time. Each Cover must be soaked in very warm water (below boiling) to soften to hardened finish prior to helmet installation. Water repellant so these were a welcome accessory in bad weather, sadly very few survived the war. IMA inspects every cover prior to shipment and will not knowingly ship and damaged cover, however, some very minor tears may still be present as they can be hard to detect.

The markings on the clothes and headgear is the same. Buttons are marked Newey. The yellow markings inside the clothes all have the year: 1942/1943. Additional markings are three stars *** and Aristo.

Appreciate additional info on these. Are they listed in any known books?

Old 08-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #48
Eddie
Association Member

Once again amazing collection,you are very dedicated collector

Last edited by Eddie; 08-01-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #49
Acez84

Here is the latest addition. Found this in an antique shop on a trip recently. There is a virtually unused battle dress with two pants and a coat. Everything is in very good condition. The jacket is marked 1940. The most interesting are the shoulder badges which were in use by special forces who were stationed in England. They were also used by both the British and Norwegians, in the so-called "British Occupation Force in Norway" 1945-1946.

The inside the jacket is labeled with the name stg. (Sergeant) T. Røyli / Røvli. The ribbon bar is for Haakon VII (the King of Norway at the time) - 70 year medal (issued in 1942 to Norwegians stationed in England).

The buttons on the shoulder flaps are strange and almost completely smooth.

The lady at the store said that her husband was out fishing with some guys in 1947. A few years later they had mailed all this equipment in a large suitcase to her store as a thank you for the fishing-trip.

Hope you like it !

Old 09-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #50
Jimpan

Thought I would give the ribbonbar a try!

1 - ww2 victory
3 - U.S Asiatic Pacific Campaign
4 - european theatre ribbon

Not sure but hey atleast something

Quote:

1 - ?
3 - U.S Asiatic Pacific Campaign ???
4 - ?

Hope someone can shed some light on Gordon´s ribbon-bars

Last edited by Jimpan; 09-04-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:12 AM   #51
Ludwig
Association Member

Can it be this set?

WW2 Victory medal
Army Good conduct medal
Asiatic-Pacific Campaign medal
European-African-Middle eastern medal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wwiivm.jpg (33.7 KB, 954 views)

Old 09-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #52
Acez84

Thank you Jimpan and Ludwig!

Old 09-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #53
Ludwig
Association Member

My pleasure!

Old 12-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #54
Mappa

War

Superb collection,thanks for sharing

Old 12-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #55
Oberst Von Luck

War

your Kubel it's

Old 01-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #56
Acez84

War

Thank you!

Here are some pictures from a kriegsmarine display I made. The p38 holster is all wrong, I grabbed the wrong one. Still.. hope you like it.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #57
Spanish Freiwillige

That U boat cap is just amazing!!

But would take away belt and holster......

Old 01-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #58
Aiceman
Association Member

Great work,super collection congratulation!

Old 01-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #59
Acez84

Thank you Spanish Freiwillige and Aiceman!

Old 01-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #60
Acez84

Meteorological set for leuchtpistole

The kit was used for rough measurements of wind speeds and wind direction in the field up to a certain height, this was information used to calculate gas dispersion, and shooting at long distances.

A libelle was mounted on the barrel so that the aim pointed straight up, the gun was mounted either on a Baumschraube/wood screw and screwed into a tree or mounted on tripod. When the wind speeds were measured, a cartridge called Fallschirmmesspatrone (Rare and unusual special cartridge) was used, this parachute was mounted on a weight and under the weight was a red silk ribbon. This way one could easily see it even in snowy weather during winter.

When the parachute had fallen on the ground one could measuring the distance from the signal gun and the parachute, in meters. This was done with a theodolite (optical tool with a compass) or by means of a conventional compass measurement of wind speeds.

There were two factors that were essential for measuring the wind strength. How long the parachute was in the air and how far it drifted.

These two factors were put into a table that came with the kit and formed a factor that gave you the strength of the wind in m / s.

This flare gun kit was part of a larger meteorological set, that came with balloons that were used to measure wind speeds at high altitudes, theodolites for directional measurement equipment for measuring humidity, measuring tape, forms, communications equipment..

This set was largely used by Wehrmacht - Heer and is very unusual. The flare gun in this set was in a small box with several packages of shots (Fallschirmmesspatronen), the fastener, vial and baumscraube lying in a small private canvas bag.

The fastener could also have been used to brace the gun to use it as a trap/stumbling flare.

- Information credited to ayf on the norwegian forum samlerforumet. Translated to english by me.

I have most of this set but lack the libelle and the bag to complete it. If anyone should have any of these parts and wish to help me, please let me buy them

This first picture of the complete set is credited to the link on the picture.

From a field manual:

From my collection:

From my collection: