wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Deutsche Demokratische Republik

Deutsche Demokratische Republik All things related to the German Democratic Republic 1949-1989

Old 12-25-2011, 09:37 AM   #16
Mike G.

Immediately after my tour in Desert Storm, I was reassigned to Berlin. This was around the end of May 91. I was a Special Agent with the US Army CID at Clay Headquarters. We had a Berlin Kripo Unit assigned directly to us and their office was adjacent ours in the same building on the same floor. Additionally, my duties and responsibilities were such that I interacted on a daily basis with the Berlin Police and the various police stations that existed outside the city of Berlin.

In my interactions and dealings with the City police and police from the surrounding townships, I never once observed this West German Police type badge being worn, with a DDR Staatswappen.

I think someone has taken the green metal shield, flattened it out, and attached it to the West German badge holder. These holders could be easily obtained, as they were utilized by the West German, West Berlin, US Forces, British Forces and French Forces police units serving in Germany as well as organizations from their various State Departments at the time.

I realize just because I never once saw it being worn, does not mean it wasn't. But I'm inclined to believe this to be a fantasy piece.

As Gordan already observed and remarked, in Berlin, the former West and East Berlin police had merged. Therefore, it just doesn't make sense for this device to have been worn. Ironically, the West Berlin Police relocated to the East Berlin Police Headquarters in East Berlin. I hated that they moved, because it literally took me an hour and a half to get there from my office at Clay Headquarters, to attend weekly meetings.

M60-A2 Tank Commander Cold War proverb: “You can accomplish more with a kind word and a ‘Shillelagh’ than you can with just a kind word.”

Old 12-27-2011, 04:36 AM   #17
Paul Spain

Quote:
I realize just because I never once saw it being worn, does not mean it wasn't. But I'm inclined to believe this to be a fantasy piece.

I checked that site again and read fine print so to speak..They ARE real but didn't have time to be used because the DDR fell before they could be issued to officers.

Quote:
In Anlehnung an die s.g. Verbandsabzeichen wurden sogar in der DDR Verbandsabzeichen der Volkspolizei gefertigt, aber nie ausgegeben.
I am shocked this badge don't appear in polizei badge or even DDR badge history books, It should.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:26 AM   #18
Mike G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spain View Post
I checked that site again and read fine print so to speak..They ARE real but didn't have time to be used because the DDR fell before they could be issued to officers.

I am shocked this badge don't appear in polizei badge or even DDR badge history books, It should.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Paul Spain,

Just because the Seller states they are real but the DDR didn't have time to use them before the wall fell, doesn't make it correct.

I still think they are fantasy. The wall fell in 89. they could have gone ahead and used them up until actual reunification. it is apparent that didn't happen.
Secondly, the leather part of the badge is of West German origin. So it is doubtful the DDR would have adapted this device prior to the fall of the wall, as the Seller is inferring.

As noted previously, the metal badge itself is not a new creation. Those already existed and were used differently than how the Seller is using them. They were given in presentation boxes. I still think what is being passed off as a real badge is nothing more than a flattened metal badge that has been tacked onto the West German leather holder.

Interesting the Seller shows a picture of it being worn, when the "Fine Print" says they were never worn.

There is absolutely no providence for their prior existence, outside of the Seller himself saying they are real. Really? Where have they been all this time? It is now 2011, almost 2012 and they just turned up? I don't think so.

I would run very quickly, as fast as my little feet can carry me, away from these badges.

M60-A2 Tank Commander Cold War proverb: “You can accomplish more with a kind word and a ‘Shillelagh’ than you can with just a kind word.”

Old 12-27-2011, 08:08 AM   #19
Mike G.

Thought it might be important for clarity pursuant this thread, if photos depicting the actual quote, unquote: "Badge" were shown.
Members and viewers of course can formulate their own conclusions, and that of course is as it should be. It is after, at least as of today, still a free world.
The badge, as shown being worn on a shirt.

The metal badge, is of a type I have previously seen in a box for presentation. I've also seen them attached to a wooden plaque, also prepared this way for presentation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fake-Badge-2-Web.jpg (102.0 KB, 85 views)

Old 12-27-2011, 08:13 AM   #20
Mike G.

The DDR Polizei badge adjacent an authentic badge. Notice the difference in quality of the leather holder. It is thicker, and is stitched. The DDR version appears to have been cut (perhaps by hand) out of a thin patch of leather. The slit for the button appears to have been cut haphazardly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Real-West-German-Police-Bad.jpg (76.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Fake-Badge-1-Web.jpg (53.3 KB, 83 views)

Old 12-27-2011, 08:29 AM   #21
Paul Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael D. Gallagher View Post
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Paul Spain,

Just because the Seller states they are real but the DDR didn't have time to use them before the wall fell, doesn't make it correct.

I still think they are fantasy. The wall fell in 89. they could have gone ahead and used them up until actual reunification. it is apparent that didn't happen.
Secondly, the leather part of the badge is of West German origin. So it is doubtful the DDR would have adapted this device prior to the fall of the wall, as the Seller is inferring.

As noted previously, the metal badge itself is not a new creation. Those already existed and were used differently than how the Seller is using them. They were given in presentation boxes. I still think what is being passed off as a real badge is nothing more than a flattened metal badge that has been tacked onto the West German leather holder.

Interesting the Seller shows a picture of it being worn, when the "Fine Print" says they were never worn.

There is absolutely no providence for their prior existence, outside of the Seller himself saying they are real. Really? Where have they been all this time? It is now 2011, almost 2012 and they just turned up? I don't think so.

I would run very quickly, as fast as my little feet can carry me, away from these badges.
I haven't found none for sale no more since I missed out on getting one in my highschool days (which ended in 2000)

the information is from Polizeilada, And yes these may be fantasy made to honor the VP ,Still if I find one I think I'll buy it as they weren't too expensive,The seller who had it listed wasn't trying to rip people off with it but They either quit Ebay,have no more,or Ebay banned them and the item in question because I can't find none on there all these years later.

Quote:
We are all entitled to our opinion, Still I like them

PS The badge you mention has been located as TRAPO however Ebay don't let you get their pics so I found a green one on Hood, They are known as Ehrenschilds but look VERY large compared to the breast badge, They run about $79.00, This one is high though:

Last edited by Paul Spain; 12-27-2011 at 08:52 AM.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #22
Mike G.

They had small ones also.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #23
Paul Spain

Quote:
They had small ones also.
I see, In that case it would be VERY easy and cheap for a collector to mass produce these breast badges (verbandsabzeichen) All you'd need to do is safety pin them to the leather(if these had pins on back then you're half done if not it would be easy to epoxy them or solder them to the back and not ruin the badge.),cut to shape,cut a hole,stich over to reenforce cut hole and then begin mounting them onto buttons to see if they worked and if they did you're done That being said YES sellers should state (when these are located) that they was made for collectors only and never issued.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:20 AM   #24
uscob
Association Member

Quote:
I see, In that case it would be VERY easy and cheap for a collector to mass produce these breast badges (verbandsabzeichen) All you'd need to do is safety pin them to the leather(if these had pins on back then you're half done if not it would be easy to epoxy them or solder them to the back and not ruin the badge.),cut to shape,cut a hole,stich over to reenforce cut hole and then begin mounting them onto buttons to see if they worked and if they did you're done That being said YES sellers should state (when these are located) that they was made for collectors only and never issued.
Enamelled Breast Hangers cost about 2.50 in a quantity of 150 minimum, so it's not the big deal to produce them. Please remember that a lot of phantasy Stuff is around as is offered as last Version or rare trial Insignia. Remember the MfS Cuff Titles and Arm Shields, written VOPO Cap Bands and all that stuff, just to value up Uniforms or just to get your money. The Breast Hangers are complete phantasy and also made as a Trapo Version. As mentioned before, there is a guy Selling them on several German Police Collectors Meetings organised by the IPA.

Interested in everything related to the Allied Forces in Berlin 1945 - 1994

Old 12-28-2011, 12:58 AM   #25
Paul Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscob View Post
Enamelled Breast Hangers cost about 2.50 in a quantity of 150 minimum, so it's not the big deal to produce them. Please remember that a lot of phantasy Stuff is around as is offered as last Version or rare trial Insignia. Remember the MfS Cuff Titles and Arm Shields, written VOPO Cap Bands and all that stuff, just to value up Uniforms or just to get your money. The Breast Hangers are complete phantasy and also made as a Trapo Version. As mentioned before, there is a guy Selling them on several German Police Collectors Meetings organised by the IPA.
Quote:
Enamelled Breast Hangers cost about 2.50 in a quantity of 150 minimum
Well then they are going for way too high (even real issued ones) because they get to about $20.00-$30.00 a piece and sometimes more,I forget what that DDR one went for but I think it was around $30.00.

Quote:
Remember the MfS Cuff Titles and Arm Shields, written VOPO Cap Bands and all that stuff
I have saw the VolksPolizei felt bands but I thought those was period pieces meant to go on the ends of sleeves for the big long great coats, They look stupid attached to visor hats though and I don't bother buying these altered hats with those bands instead of the cords.

I don't know about the Stasi cuffbands but I thought those were issued (especially the Wach Felix Dzerinsky (or however you spell that guy's last name ) And yes I have also saw the Stasi arm patch, It is similar in shape to the standard VolksPolizei (all branches) felt patches but appears to be made of nylon like modern police patches are.

Reason I figured those bands was real was because they had them for the border police (GrenzTruppen Der DDR) so I figured it made sense for all agencies to have the bands. I now know they was most likely made in later years though and added to the uniforms. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Paul Spain; 12-28-2011 at 01:06 AM.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:40 AM   #26
Paul Spain

Quote:
The DDR Polizei badge adjacent an authentic badge. Notice the difference in quality of the leather holder. It is thicker, and is stitched. The DDR version appears to have been cut (perhaps by hand) out of a thin patch of leather. The slit for the button appears to have been cut haphazardly.
I have a Berlin police badge on that same kind of thin leather, On back of the badge is D-6711 Heuchelheim

Old 12-28-2011, 03:21 AM   #27
uscob
Association Member

Quote:
Well then they are going for way too high (even real issued ones) because they get to about $20.00-$30.00 a piece and sometimes more,I forget what that DDR one went for but I think it was around $30.00.

I have saw the VolksPolizei felt bands but I thought those was period pieces meant to go on the ends of sleeves for the big long great coats, They look stupid attached to visor hats though and I don't bother buying these altered hats with those bands instead of the cords.

I don't know about the Stasi cuffbands but I thought those were issued (especially the Wach Felix Dzerinsky (or however you spell that guy's last name ) And yes I have also saw the Stasi arm patch, It is similar in shape to the standard VolksPolizei (all branches) felt patches but appears to be made of nylon like modern police patches are.

Reason I figured those bands was real was because they had them for the border police (GrenzTruppen Der DDR) so I figured it made sense for all agencies to have the bands. I now know they was most likely made in later years though and added to the uniforms. Thanks for the info.
Somewhere here on the Forum I posted the VOPO Cap Bands. They're made especially for Caps as all 4 edges are merrow edged.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:25 AM   #28
uscob
Association Member

in post 17 you can see it:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...t=volkspolizei

Old 12-28-2011, 03:29 AM   #29
uscob
Association Member

Quote:
I have a Berlin police badge on that same kind of thin leather, On back of the badge is D-6711 Heuchelheim
Must be from ZINN.
They're official Manufacturers of Insignia.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:53 AM   #30
Paul Spain

Quote:
Must be from ZINN.
They're official Manufacturers of Insignia.
Yup, Back has ZINN - GMBH
D-6711

I think I know what webpage to go to now to buy these cheap (if they got a site and sell to the public)