wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Deutsche Demokratische Republik

Deutsche Demokratische Republik All things related to the German Democratic Republic 1949-1989

VolksPolizei badge
Old 04-27-2011, 03:36 AM   #1
Paul Spain

Default VolksPolizei badge

Years ago when I was in high school I saw a breast badge of the VolksPolizei for sale on Ebay..I was gonna bid on it but didn't have the money at the time..Has anyone else saw those? I wish I could find a pic of one to post as they look quite nice and are made the same way all German police badges are now..I did manage to make a rough digital rendering of it using the SCHUTZPOLIZEI patch:

Does anyone know when the VolksPolizei started wearing West German style badges? Was this a RARE 1989-1990 D.D.R. to B.R.D. intergration badge? I keep looking on Ebay but as of yet have had NO luck finding another one (10+ years searching).

Old 04-27-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
torstenbel
Forum Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spain View Post
Does anyone know when the VolksPolizei started wearing West German style badges? Was this a RARE 1989-1990 D.D.R. to B.R.D. intergration badge? I keep looking on Ebay but as of yet have had NO luck finding another one (10+ years searching).
to the best of my knowledge, this is a phantasy item and was never worn or used by the Volkspolizei. Cheers, Torsten.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
uscob
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torstenbel View Post
to the best of my knowledge, this is a phantasy item and was never worn or used by the Volkspolizei. Cheers, Torsten.
From time to time I can see a them on Police Shows where a "Dealer" sells them. He also made them in Blue for Trapo. I think there was also the ABV Style. In the good old times he was near to get fired from his Job asa Cop, because he faked several US Hangers but as he never got the Authorisation to do so, it was against Allied Laws. I don't know who saved his arse back then.

Interested in everything related to the Allied Forces in Berlin 1945 - 1994

Old 04-27-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
Mike G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscob View Post
. I don't know who saved his "arse" back then.
Nico,

I didn't know you spoke "Brittish" ?

M60-A2 Tank Commander Cold War proverb: “You can accomplish more with a kind word and a ‘Shillelagh’ than you can with just a kind word.”

Old 04-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
Paul Spain

Quote:
I see..Then if that is so I now know where I can get 1 or gobs of them..Thanks West End Embleme makes ALL the polizei badges and also does custom makes for collectors..They can do any nation's badge

they really do some beautiful works and I would highly suggest them to ALL collectors:

Old 04-27-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
Paul Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscob View Post
From time to time I can see a them on Police Shows where a "Dealer" sells them. He also made them in Blue for Trapo. I think there was also the ABV Style. In the good old times he was near to get fired from his Job asa Cop, because he faked several US Hangers but as he never got the Authorisation to do so, it was against Allied Laws. I don't know who saved his arse back then.
Well I don't think any police agency actually gives the OK to make their badges but as long as people are not using them to impersonate an officer there is no crime, Case being I have for years sought to have a COLONEL Illinois State Police badge in my collection as that is the highest rank and is VERY hard to get..All badge makers that sells badges in the U.S. won't touch I.S.P. badges as they have a thing set up where these are special order for troopers only and only shipped to the barracks, not personal addresses but if you're a die hard collector there is ways around it but I'll not mention it Anyway my wish was fulfilled in about 3 weeks:

That being said don't let those tough laws Bush had passed kill your collecting.

Last edited by Michael D. Gallagher; 04-27-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #7
uscob
Association Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael D. Gallagher View Post
Nico,

I didn't know you spoke "Brittish" ?

Michael,
when I write US-english, The system will kill the word.

Interested in everything related to the Allied Forces in Berlin 1945 - 1994

Old 04-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
torstenbel
Forum Sponsor

Quote:
bottom line is, that if you are being offered anything like the item at the start of this thread, then do not buy it as it is a fake phantasy item and is not real and never existed in real life ... it would be a complete waste of money. cheers, torsten.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #9
Gordon Craig

Paul Spain,

Thanks for posting pictures of the fake badges this company makes. A word to the wise is always helpful.

Regards,

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spain View Post
I see..Then if that is so I now know where I can get 1 or gobs of them..Thanks West End Embleme makes ALL the polizei badges and also does custom makes for collectors..They can do any nation's badge

they really do some beautiful works and I would highly suggest them to ALL collectors:

Old 12-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
Paul Spain

Quote:
According to here: http://www.polizeilada.de/html/wendezeit.html

It might have been used, They too have a pic of it attached to the 1990-1991 tunic.

Old 12-23-2011, 12:18 PM   #11
Ralph P
Forums Moderator

Well you have me stumped. I would be interested in what others write in response. Thanks for your post.
Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

Old 12-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #12
TimoJ

I got one of these from a former officer from the Berlin Police in 1990. Seems during the integration in Berlin they were worn on the pocket of the Berlin Police uniform (the sleeve patch was Berlin).

Timo

Old 12-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #13
Gordon Craig

Gentlemen,

I have a problem with this breast hanger. The VOPO style sleeve badges with the BRD roundel in the centre are authentic. At least that is the general concensus by collectors. Although, they are not shown in Klaus Walter's "Uniformeffekten der Bewaffneten Organe der DDR Spezialkatalog Band I Ministerium des Inneren 1949-1990" so there is still some doubt in my mind as to authenticity.
Making a breast hanger with a DDR emblem in the centre for wear after Oct. 2 1990 on a BRD uniform by ex-VOPO does not make any sense. Why make a sleeve badge with a BRD roundel and a breast hanger with a DDR State Symbol which would have been banned anyway. Only a period picture, showing these badges in wear, would convince me that this sort of badging was ever worn.

Regards,

Gordon

Old 12-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #14
Paul Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Craig View Post
Gentlemen,

I have a problem with this breast hanger. The VOPO style sleeve badges with the BRD roundel in the centre are authentic. At least that is the general concensus by collectors. Although, they are not shown in Klaus Walter's "Uniformeffekten der Bewaffneten Organe der DDR Spezialkatalog Band I Ministerium des Inneren 1949-1990" so there is still some doubt in my mind as to authenticity.
Making a breast hanger with a DDR emblem in the centre for wear after Oct. 2 1990 on a BRD uniform by ex-VOPO does not make any sense. Why make a sleeve badge with a BRD roundel and a breast hanger with a DDR State Symbol which would have been banned anyway. Only a period picture, showing these badges in wear, would convince me that this sort of badging was ever worn.

Regards,

Gordon
I think the reason the DDR cockade is in the center is maybe these was made before the symbol was banned(if that was the case they left it be because the only way to fix it would be to grind it down and smooth it in the center to redo the cockade to BRD)..Maybe the VolksPolizei wanted some breast badges..I don't know but I do know they very much resemble a huge badge that was give out as a award but I don't think it was designed to be wore or even had a pin to be wore..I saw a complete General uniform go on Ebay a while back with the big badge I mentioned in a case with original documents..I'll try to get a pic up if I find it on my PC.

Meanwhile here is the other pics showing the tunic and the new ((STARS)) shoulderboards,The shoulder patch was the last SCHUTZPOLIZEI issue with the BRD Cockade:

I actually wish they'd have kept this style uniforms and used them by all the POLIZEI because the army green tunics aren't as nice looking as the old DDR blue green ones was and who thunk up the tan shirt/brown pants combo? OMG XD. And worse still is their new idea to go to blue or black uniforms.

Last edited by Paul Spain; 12-24-2011 at 12:42 PM.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:27 AM   #15
Gordon Craig

Paul,

The DDR started moving away from the DDR State symbol almost a year before integration. New style buttons for use on General's tunics were produced and used. I have a Volkspolizei Generals tunic that has the new style buttons on it. They were plain and did not have the state symbol on them. Since the DDR began not using the DDR State symbol on their buttons several months before unification it would be really unusual for the BRD to start using a symbol of a country that no longer existed.
I mentioned in my earlier post that the arm badges with the BRD cockade are regarded by most collectors as authentic. That is just another reason to doubt the use of the breast badge with the DDR State symbol on it. There is ample evidence of ex VOPO wearing strichtarn uniforms with POLIZEI across the back of the jacket in Berlin. I have one of these unifoms in my collection. They do not wear any breasy hangers on these uniforms. I still beleive that these badges are very suspect, at least, and only a period photo of one in wear would be acceptable to prove that they were actually worn by polizei in Berlin.

Regards,

Gordon