wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Firearms Forum

Firearms Forum Focused on the guns of the Third Reich, but posts on firearms from other WW II countries are also welcomed.

Current Luger Prices
Old 04-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
bodes

Question Current Luger Prices

Forum Members, I have an opportunity to purchase a WW2 era German Luger.....I don't currently have one, and am anxious to be a first time owner.....However, with the current economic times, I'm not up to date on current prices.....

The Luger is Mauser made (42 code) and with a 1939 date....It is all matching (less magazine) and with about 90% bluing.....Very slight pitting in spots on the side and grips are worn to one side......Bore appears pretty good....The veteran lightly scratched his name on the frame, which matches inside the holster.....The holster being the best part......It is a near mint piece with strong proofs on the back and a 1941 date.....Stitching is strong and bright......Belt straps don't appear to have ever been on a belt.....Only real noticable wear is on the closing strap.....

I cannot provide photos, but the asking price is $1500.....No tool and with two mis-matched mags....Is this a fair price?......Bodes

Old 04-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
james m

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes View Post
Forum Members, I have an opportunity to purchase a WW2 era German Luger.....I don't currently have one, and am anxious to be a first time owner.....However, with the current economic times, I'm not up to date on current prices.....

The Luger is Mauser made (42 code) and with a 1939 date....It is all matching (less magazine) and with about 90% bluing.....Very slight pitting in spots on the side and grips are worn to one side......Bore appears pretty good....The veteran lightly scratched his name on the frame, which matches inside the holster.....The holster being the best part......It is a near mint piece with strong proofs on the back and a 1941 date.....Stitching is strong and bright......Belt straps don't appear to have ever been on a belt.....Only real noticable wear is on the closing strap.....

I cannot provide photos, but the asking price is $1500.....No tool and with two mis-matched mags....Is this a fair price?......Bodes
With the issues/condition as you described above I think $1500 is too high.
Jim

Old 04-04-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
Ronnie Fry
Association Member

IMHO, the name, however lightly scratched on the frame, would be a deal killer for me. If a really nice one, the holster could fetch as much as $300. or perhaps more... I'd avoid this one.... Purely my .02

r

luger
Old 04-04-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
cossack1648
Association Member

Default luger

Check Gunbroker. There is quite a bit of Lugers there: different markings and conditions. It is hard to tell how legitimate they are, but their going rates should give you an idea of price versus model and condition.
I agree, scratched name or any other alterations kill it as collectible making it a shooter

Jack

Old 04-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
smershagent

Quote:
Originally Posted by james m View Post
With the issues/condition as you described above I think $1500 is too high.
Jim
I concur.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:29 AM   #6
bodes

Thanks for the replies......I was perhaps a little harsh in my description.....It has a few pin pricks pitting on a couple spots and the bluing could be stronger than 90%.....Maybe, more like 95%....I have yet to find a nicer holster any where on the internet.....Closest one being a brown 1940 one, and the guy wanted like $700 for it....

I read some where that nice, clean, near mint/mint holsters are difficult to find.....

I cannot remember for sure, but I think the guy selling is talking about throwing in a Mauser made tool and armourer's unnumbered magazine.....Bodes

Old 04-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
IMBLITZVT

Sounds high to me to. The name marked on the gun and on the holster would seem to me to really kill the value. Assuming we are not talking about Unit markings. Are you buying a gun or a holster? If someone wrote their name on the holster, its going to also kill he value, no matter how nice. What kind of unmarked mags. One came with my Luger and did not work in the gun and was not German. Check out the markings on it and make sure its German and not another make...

Old 04-05-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
Johnny Peppers

This is why it is so terribly hard to give a value when you are just guessing as to what you are pricing. How bad is the rust, is it 90% or 95%, bore is "pretty good", one grip is worn, how bad is the name scratched on the pistol, etc.
I think everyone will try to be as helpful as possible, but I would be hesitant to tell someone to go ahead and spend $1500 on something you can't see, and from the description sounds too high.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #9
Jerry Burney

Some people see a name scratched into a holster as a historical event and part of it's history..GI's commonly did that. The same name scratched into the pistol is an entirely different matter. That is a serious problem . The pistol could be a stone cold mint $4000 Luger and a scratched in name kicks it down to a 600 dollar shooter to most collectors.
As a shooter it might not bother you..that's if you can buy the rig at a shooter price.
You can buy a lot of Luger on todays market for 1500.
I wouldn't pay what the guy is asking..I LOVE mint Luger holsters but detest what I call GI graffitti. Anything scratched into a holster kills it for me.
I would take the good advice found above and look elsewhere if you can't talk the seller down 3-400 bucks, and live with the defects you can see.. Of course you are a new collector and many of us made serious mistakes the first time out and paid too much.
Remember when you see something you REALLY want that's just right and you have to have it..you might be 1500 short and have a scratched up Luger & holster that's impossible to sell in your safe.
Some things to think over before you start counting out after tax hundred dollar bills into another guys outstretched palm.

Jerry Burney

Old 04-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #10
ValhallaMilitaria
Association Member

I would pass on this for that price....like others have said a name scratched into the gun itself just kills its potential as an investment. 600 gun all day long.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:20 AM   #11
SIGNALMAN

Bright like new stitching on a holster is a good indicator of a reproduction, rather than a mint holster. Photo's would help.

Luger
Old 04-07-2011, 06:15 AM   #12
crowback

Default Luger

Capture papers ?

Luger
Old 04-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #13
Douglas J Schrack
Lifetime Member

Default Luger

Keep looking..., there are a lot of them out there !

Doug

Old 04-09-2011, 02:31 AM   #14
JasonA
Association Member

Hi Bodes,

I am more optimistic than some of my peers here. A 90 - 95% original blue 1939 dated Luger could fetch $1,500, depending on quality of the bore, the amount of scratching, and the severity of the pin prick pitting. Additionally, if the holster is near mint, that's easily worth hundreds of dollars.

The challenge here is that many people have different definitions of condition, and what might be excellent condition to one might be fine or very good to another.

Without pictures, we're all guessing. You could actually be getting a good deal, or you might want to keep looking.

I had an original, all matching 98% 1939 dated 42 code, but was just sold, unfortunately.

Why can't you get pictures? That may be reason enough to pass.

Best,

Jason

Old 04-09-2011, 08:54 AM   #15
Johnny Peppers

Regardless of the condition, the pistol will always be judged by the name scratched on it. The wear to the pistol is an acceptable condition, but the name is not. Also, the condition of the pistol and the described condition of the holster just don't match up.