wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > International Militaria Forum

International Militaria Forum Rest of the World Militaria.

Poland Armband and flash..
Old 11-25-2010, 02:46 AM   #1
RodneyO
Association Member

Default Poland Armband and flash..

Hi All,
Need some help in identifying this armband and Poland shoulder flash. Are they original and used by the Polish Army in WW2?
Thanks for looking,
Rodney
Poland Armband back.jpg

Poland Armband .jpg

Old 11-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
3 DSK

Maybe this will help

http://cgi.ebay.com/Polish-Army-Armb...item20b56bf22b

Old 02-24-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
RodneyO
Association Member

Thanks 3 DSK,
Sorry for the late, late response but forgot about my post. The one from eBay sure looks the same but with a slightly different eagle. The seller doesn't seems to positive that it's from WW2 "I assume this is polish armband from world war 2".
Anyone else here have any idea if this armband is from WW2 or not? How about the Poland shoulder flash, WW2 or Postwar?

Rodney

Old 02-25-2011, 01:44 AM   #4
Billy B

The flash is an old repro and the armband is for the SPK (Polish veteran's association) The armband keeps being sold as an AK one but it is not.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:26 AM   #5
RodneyO
Association Member

Thanks Billy B !! kind of bummed out about the Poland Flash, didn't cost much but still......... For the Polish "Veterans" Armband, it will be put with my post-war stuff. I Googled Polish Veterans Armbands and found War Relic Forum which confirms the veterans armband like you said. At least it not a reproduction but used by Polish Veterans after the war. Finally can put this to rest!!!
Thanks again,
Rodney

Polish armband
Old 02-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #6
cossack1648
Association Member

Default Polish armband

I agree. This is post war band that was used by veterans on all kinds of parades or official assemblies.

Original Polish wwII ones had either nothing or stamped letters WP (Polish Army) and eagle (also stamped) between the letters. Sometimes they could have handwritten letters AK, WP, AL. There were also ones with stamped letters WSK (women helpers). Stampings were simple. They were made in conspiracy and during Uprising.
Originals are rare. Warsaw Uprising POW's usually destroyed them in POW camps. I asked once one vet why. He said they were afraid of Germans getting them and abusing them.
Getting cought with one in the early post war period in Poland meant death sentence from communist regime or imprisonment at the best.
My aunt fought in Warsaw Uprising. I asked her years ago about her armband. She said that she burned everything war and her membership in AK related (armband, letters, ID).
I had one years ago that was found in demolished house hidden in the wooden pole. There was a hat, a band and an ID card wrapped in a rag together.

Jack

Old 02-26-2011, 01:14 AM   #7
leibermuster

One of my buddies inherited all his Grandpas war related gear when he died. He had been in the Polish army as an nco, went into a soviet POW camp, and later joined the Polish unit of the Red Army. I have seen his wartime photos and medals. He had an armband just like this one with the metal weave eagle with all his stuff so apparantly at some point the Polish gov't allowed these to be made on a large scale. What era would this have been manufactured?

Armband
Old 02-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #8
cossack1648
Association Member

Default Armband

Until 1989 eagle had no crown, so Polish government couldn't authorize such band and they would be forbidden to wear until the end of the communist regime in Poland. I assume that your uncle served in 1st or 2nd Polish army that was formed in Russia. They had totally different eagle and it was a hallmark of this army in postwar times.
I know for certain that the armband that started this thread was made for veterans that settled and lived in Western countries, especially USA.

Can you post pictures of your uncle wearing his armband?

Jack

Old 02-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #9
leibermuster

It is a friend of mine, but I will try and get some pics. I will scan his wartime photos also if he lets me.