wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Ken Jasper International Militaria Forums > Deutsche Demokratische Republik

Deutsche Demokratische Republik All things related to the German Democratic Republic 1949-1989

Ural truck in DDR use
Old 10-26-2010, 07:11 AM   #1
Geo66

Default Ural truck in DDR use

Hello all,
I'm new in this forum, I'm an Italian modeler and I'm fascinated by ex-DDR vehicles.
I am planning to build an Ural 4320 truck in 1/35 scale, I wish to represent a truck in DDR use.
As I discovered until now, the 4320 was used as a transport truck and also as a command post truck mounting the LAKII module. But perhaps someone know other truck configuration used at that time....so I whis to ask if someone can give me information/photos/site links and so on about the this truck.
Moreover, I know that the DDR camouflage was quite simple, it seems ti be a sort of olive green overall. Do someone know if other camo scheme were used by DDR?
Many thanks to all
Ciao
Geo

Old 10-26-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
torstenbel
Forum Sponsor

The URAL 4320 was used everywhere and for all sorts of applications. Lots of photos here http://www.google.de/images?hl=de&q=...og&sa=N&tab=wi Cheers, Torsten.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
Geo66

Thank you Torsten,

some of these pics were well know but some others are new to me.
Do someone know if the NVA adopted any camouflage scheme other than the flat green?
Ciao
Geo

Old 10-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
iannima

Che bello avere un altro compatriota...
In answer to your question, the NVA, in its last days... -some say the last four weeks - adopted a camouflage scheme other than the normal flat green. To see photographs of an Ural in such a scheme, you should buy this book:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Suhr-NVA-Fahrzeug...item4cf2a20be1
where an Ural has been restored in that scheme. There are other vehicles in the normal green in the same book.
I am not sure I have EVER come across a period photograph of ANY NVA vehicle in that camouflage, which is not to say that it was not done, but just that period evidence is scarce.
There are, on the other hand, a number of restored vehicles with that new scheme, but I strongly suspect that in most cases it was just the desire of the owners to do something different... which might be your own too
Just in case you wanted to go for the green, I can tell that you that there are endless debates as to the exact shade. In its original form it is most closely approximated by RAL6003. That's the colour I used to finish my own vehicle and bits of NVA equipment in their original factory finish do look VERY close when put side by side. However... veterans say that the standard green was used unmixed only for various bits of equipment but that the vehicles would be painted with a mixture of the green with some black added. How much black, it does not seem to be recorded anywhere. I remember reading one veteran saying that even vehicles of the same regiment (or of nearby regiments) would be in very different colours as the mixing was not done to any prescribed standard... In so far as period photographs can give any indication, it is certainly true that there seems to be a LOT of variation in the shade of green. I suspect that for the parade in Berlin, all vehicles were however repainted in green without any added black because they all look much more uniformly coloured...
I am sure you did not want to know all this... but there it is...
Buona fortuna!

Old 10-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
SanderMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iannima View Post
-some say the last four weeks -

Now that's progressive spirit!

Old 10-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
speedytop

Hi,

please see the manual:

K 052/3/016
Verzerrungsanstriche an Kampftechnik, Bewaffnung und Ausrüstung 1988
(... tritt am 01. 03. 1988 in Kraft.)

144 pages!

There are two colour schemes, for summer (3 colours) and winter (2 colours).

And there is one change (1. Änderung ... tritt am 01. 04. 1988 in Kraft) for the colours in the summer:

Tabelle 2: Chlorkautschuk-Kombinationsfarbe UbMC

Art der Farbe___________Farbton________Farbnummer

Grundfarbe____________olivgrün__________2425
1. Ergänzungsfarbe___dämmergrau, matt____2403 (old = braun, matt)
2. Ergänzungsfarbe___schwarzgrau, matt___2402 (old = beige, matt)

For example page 45, summer scheme:

In the winter scheme there is only green and white. Green is the same way as in the picture above, and the both other colours are in white.

And here is the winter scheme for a GAZ 69:

http://www.nva-forum.de/nva-board/in...opic=5174&st=0

Uwe

Old 10-29-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
Geo66

Ok, tanks to all!
Very useful informations!

To Uwe: I will study carefully the link to NVA-forum...the only problem is: I don't understand german, so I tryed to use the google translator and the result was....Tarzan tried to explain to me something about colour of tank (in the sense of metal can!!!!).
Funny!
In any way all this is useful. Thank you Uwe!

To Matteo: è vero fa piacere trovare un "collega" su un sito straniero. (it's a pleasure to meet a "collegue" in a foreign site).

Ciao

Old 10-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
ehrentitle

Here are a couple of photos of East German Trucks I took in 1988.

The first is on the way to Rostock during a vacation, this is the best photo I could take without being arrested:

The second is of a support vehicle parked at the starting point of the 7. Oktober 1988 Tag der Republik Parade in East Berlin. It's not a Ural 4320, but still interesting:

Old 10-29-2010, 12:12 PM   #9
SanderMan

Very cool photos!

I wonder what that soldier was thinking as he saw you snapping his picture.