wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Era Militaria > Fallschirmjäger Forum

Fallschirmjäger Forum Paratrooper Badges, documents, photographs, headgear, uniforms, history, research, insignia and field gear.

Fallschirm. Fla. MG-Btl - Research Request
Old 09-14-2010, 08:10 AM   #1
stgeorge64
Association Member

War Fallschirm. Fla. MG-Btl - Research Request

I have just purchased a set of doucuments to a Fallschirmjager how served in Fallschirm. Fla. MG-Btl. from July-40 to Nov-42.

My question is twofold:

Firstly, I need to uncover the identity of the signatory as Major und Battailionskommandeur on the attached image, taken from his Feldwebel promotion document.

The Feld Post Nr. 336003 is listed as 'Stab-Fallschirm Flak Abteilung'.

Secondly, can anyone point myself in the right direction to find out the exact involvement of Fallschirm. Fla. MG-Btl in the battle for Crete?

All help will be very well received indeed, as so far I have been unable to find the information I seek.

Regards Richard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14-09-2010 13;54;52.jpg (231.5 KB, 308 views)

Old 09-14-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
Ypenburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgeorge64 View Post
I have just purchased a set of doucuments to a Fallschirmjager how served in Fallschirm. Fla. MG-Btl. from July-40 to Nov-42.
Fsch.Fla.MG.Btl.7 was raised June 1940 in Halberstadt, Co. Major Derpa (later Co. II./FJR3).

Autumn 1940 it moves to an Airfield near Quedlinburgh, new Co. Hauptmann Baier (WIA Crete).

Gliederung: Stab, Nachrichtenzug, 4 x Kampfkompanie with each 6 x 2cm Gebirgs-Flak 38, Pz.Büchs., sMG.

Korinth:
3./Fsch.Fla.MG.Btl.7 attached to "Untergruppe" Pietzonka, transport: I./KG.z.b.V.1
KIA Lt. Schallnas,

Crete:
1. Welle - Gruppe West: 3./Fsch.Fla.MG.Btl.7 (Olt. Theuerling), Maleme
1. Welle - Gruppe Mitte: 4./Fsch.Fla.MG.Btl.7 (Olt. Matthies +), Chania
2. Welle - Gruppe Ost: 1./Fsch.Fla.MG.Btl.7 (Olt. Timm), Heraklion
2. Welle - Kräftgruppe Sturm: 2./Fsch.Fla.MG.Btl.7 (Olt. Kerrut), Rethymnon

Old 09-15-2010, 03:56 AM   #3
stgeorge64
Association Member

War

Ypenburg

Many thanks indeed for your time and effort in providing some answers, I can assure you that it is genuinly appreciated.

The original owner of the documents served in 2./Fallschirm. Fla MG-Btl, so I am pleased that for his actions in Op MERKUR (for which he was awarded EKII & EKI) can be pin-pointed to 'Kräftgruppe Sturm: 2./Fsch.Fla.MG.Btl.7 (Olt. Kerrut), Rethymnon'. I am also really pleased with the information concerning the breakdown of the Kompanie and weapons too.

Can I ask if you can share any details, or point myself in the right direction as to finding out the subsequent actions of 2./Fallschirm. Fla MG-Btl from Op MERKUR until Nov-42?

The question of the signature I posted though is not clear at all. In the group the signature I posted is on the following documents as 'Major und Battalionskommandeur Fallsch.Fla. MG-Btl' with the Feld Post Nr. 336003, listed as 'Stab-Fallschirm Flak Abteilung':

Promotion to Feldwebel dated 21-Jan-41
EKII (!) dated 13-Jun-41
Promotion to Oberfeldwebel dated 24-Feb-42

....consequently, the signatures and dates do not fit with either Major Derpa or Hauptmann Baier as Kommandeur Fallsch. Fla MG-Btl.

Any ideas as at as to the identity of the signatory?

Again any help at all will be very well received.

Regards Richard.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:15 AM   #4
Ian Jewison

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgeorge64 View Post
....consequently, the signatures and dates do not fit with either Major Derpa or Hauptmann Baier as Kommandeur Fallsch. Fla MG-Btl.

Any ideas as at as to the identity of the signatory?
As mentioned in the other thread.......that is Baier's signature.

/Ian

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Old 09-15-2010, 04:52 AM   #5
stgeorge64
Association Member

War

Ian

As posted in the 'other thread':

My question centers around when Baier was promoted to Major:

In the 'Composition of XI Flieger-Korps for Op MERKUR' as published in 'Fallschirmjager in Crete' by Jean-Yves Nasse, it alludes to Hanns Baier being a Hauptmann in June-1941.

As the promotion document to Feldwebel dated 21-Jan-41 and bears the signature of a Major und Battailions Kommandeur, preceeding the date of Op MERKUR, is it possible that the promotion date for Baier from Hauptmann to Major has been 'stretched' somewhere along the line?

Ian do you by chance have any other examples of the signature of Hanns Baier to compare with at all?

I genuinly appreciate your help thus far.

Regards Richard.

PM Sent regarding the Rall book.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #6
stgeorge64
Association Member

War

With the matter of the identity of the signature now being stated as Major Hanns Baier as Kommandeur Fallsch. Fla MG-Btl, I would appreciate some help or pointers in researching the operations of 2./Fallsch.Fla MG-Btl from July-40 to Nov-42.

I am in particular interested in the operations in Op MERKUR, and 'Ypenburg' has already provided some information in the form of:

'2. Welle - Kräftgruppe Sturm: 2./Fsch.Fla.MG.Btl.7 (Olt. Kerrut), Rethymnon'

Can anyone expand on this information? I have hit many brick walls in finding almost anything out about the unit and any help whatsoever, will be very well received indeed.

Hopeful in anticipation.

Regards Richard.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:54 AM   #7
Ypenburg

Gefechtsgliederung Kräftegruppe Sturm:

1) Gruppe Kroh (Maj. Kroh) :
I./Fsch.Jäg.Rgt.2 (- 2. Kp.)
2./Fsch.MG.Btl.7
1 x Zug 13./Fsch.Jäg.Rgt.2
1 x Zug 14./Fsch.Jäg.Rgt.2
1 x Zug 2./Fsch.Fla.MG.Btl.7

2) Gruppe Wiedemann (Hptm. Wiedemann)
III./Fsch.Jäg.Rgt.2
1./Fsch.MG.Btl.7
2./Fsch.Art.Abt.7
2./Fsch.Fla.MG.Btl.7 (- 1 x Zug)
parts 13./Fsch.Jäg.Rgt.2
parts 14./Fsch.Jäg.Rgt.2

3) Gruppe Kroh
Stab./Fsch.Jäg.Rgt.2
Stab./Fsch.MG.Btl.7
2./Fsch.Jäg.Rgt.2
1 x Zug 13./Fsch.Jäg.Rgt.2
1 x Zug 14./Fsch.Jäg.Rgt.2

Objectives:
Gruppe Kroh: Parachuted, attack the Rethymnon Airfield from 2 sides, take it and keep it usable for own troop-transports.

Gruppe Wiedemann: Parachuted, attack the city Rethymnon from the east and take it.

Gruppe Sturm:Parachuted, SW of the Airfield and build the Rserve.

It is mentioned that 2./Fsch.Fla.MG.Btl.7 suffered losses when parachuted and menaged to recover only parts of its heavy equipment.

The whole Kräftegruppe Sturm has heavy losses and finally builds a defensive position in/around an olive-oil-factory and Stavromenos, but pull back to the East where 3./Fsch.Jäg.Rgt.2 secures a dropzone on May 26th, leaving behind 84 FJ's (wounded and/or badly exhausted)

May 26th 2./Fsch.Fla.MG.Btl.7 still has 3 x 2cm Gebirgs-Flak 38 but since the Kräftegruppe puls back they have to throw 2 in the sea.
Sturm builds the remains of his force into 5 Coy's:
1. Kp.: remains of 1. and 4./Fsch.Jäg.Rgt.2 - Olt. Schindler
2. Kp.: remains of the Nachrichten-Zug and 2./Gsch.MG.Btl7 - Olt.Rosenberg
3. Kp.: remains of 3. and 13./Fsch.Jäg.Rgt.2 - Olt. von Rhoon
Kompanie "Hinz" (KpFührer 12.): remains of 10. and 12./Fsch.Jäg.Rgt.2 - Olt. Hinz
Schwere Kp.: remains of 2./Fsch.Fla.MG.Btl.7 with 1 x 2cm Gebirgs-Flak 38, 1 x Pak, 1 x sMG, 3 x s.Gr.Wrf. 8cm - Olt. Marr

Each of the 1 - 4 Kp.'s has 2 x l.MG, 1 x 5cm Gr.Wrf., 30 x rifle.

Orders are to break through enemy line's and reach Heraklion. however the orders are cancelled.

That's also the last Crete-mentioning of the Kp. I could find.....for now.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #8
stgeorge64
Association Member

War

Ypenburg that is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very much indeed for your time and effort in posting this in reply to my request.

I can assure you it is very well received indeed.

Regards Richard.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:33 AM   #9
Ypenburg

Youre welcome Richard,

One small correction: 3) Gruppe Kroh should be 3) Gruppe Sturm