wehrmacht awards

Go Back   Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums > Wehrmacht Uniforms and Equipment > Firearms Forum

Firearms Forum Focused on the guns of the Third Reich, but posts on firearms from other WW II countries are also welcomed.

RSHA/SS Procured Walther PP Variations
Old 06-21-2010, 09:52 AM   #1
Matt Weber

Default RSHA/SS Procured Walther PP Variations

Decided to post this up for reference. If anyone would like to add the serial number listing of the know SS PP to exist, please feel free to do so.

There are 6 know variations of the SS issued Walther PP with various serial ranges. I'll break them down for you:

Variation 1-
Has the serial number on the muzzle ring. THis one I'm not sure what the ranges are though? Not enough of them.

Variation 2-
Has serial number on right slide flat, with NO letter suffix. Full serial number on spine of magazine. High polish, "Crown/N" proofed. Serial range 977xxx-981xxx.

Variation 3-
Serial number on right side of slide, with the "P" suffix BELOW serial number. High polish "crown/N" proofed. Serial range- 124xxx/P-125xxx/P.

Variation 4-
Serial number on right slide flat, with "P" suffix after serial number on slide, frame, and magazine. High polish "crown/N" proofs. Serial range- 157xxxP-165xxxP. The Crown/N proofs start disappearing around the 165xxxP range.

Variation 5-
Serial number on right slide flat with "P" suffix after. "Eagle/N" proof, High polish. Serial range- 193xxxP-204xxxP.

Variation 6-
Serial number on right slide flat. (Walther adds full serial number to right side of slide on all PPs at or around 220xxxP), dull military blue finish, eagle/N proof. Full serial number is now on the bottom of magazine base. This variation has not yet been confirmed, but it would seem likely since there are late SS PPks with these exact kind of characteristics. These would be like the variation 7 of the PPk, but much lower serial number.

Matt

Pp p after
Old 09-03-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
John Pepera

Default Pp p after

Pp p after
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (49.8 KB, 1185 views)
File Type: jpg b.jpg (61.6 KB, 1187 views)

PP P Under
Old 09-03-2010, 11:00 PM   #3
John Pepera

Default PP P Under

PP P Under
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (50.5 KB, 1179 views)
File Type: jpg b.jpg (55.6 KB, 1184 views)

Old 09-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
JoeW

Here is my example of Variation 5, normal P suffix, eagle/N, with matching magazine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 204767Pa.JPG (45.9 KB, 1174 views)

Old 11-25-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
Bob K

Here's mine. Sorry with the late post; just found out what I had.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:48 PM   #6
JoeW

That's a great looking set Bob. Thanks for adding it to the others here.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #7
Milspec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Weber View Post
Variation 6-
Serial number on right slide flat. (Walther adds full serial number to right side of slide on all PPs at or around 220xxxP)...
Matt
While it's not an "SS" my commercial PP has a full slide stamp at serial number 217902P...which is slightly earlier than the 220xxxP number shown in the descrption of Variation 6. This is offered to help identify when the change in slide numbering occurred. Feel free to relocate or delete this post as appropriate.

Milspec

pp
Old 01-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
ROBCROWLEY
Expelled

Default pp

pp mag ..http:// these are just to show the different ones but not ss ...maybe someone can put this or pin this on the bottom of this page ..?

Old 04-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
esu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Weber View Post
Decided to post this up for reference. If anyone would like to add the serial number listing of the know SS PP to exist, please feel free to do so.

There are 6 know variations of the SS issued Walther PP with various serial ranges. I'll break them down for you:

Variation 1-
Has the serial number on the muzzle ring. THis one I'm not sure what the ranges are though? Not enough of them.

Variation 2-
Has serial number on right slide flat, with NO letter suffix. Full serial number on spine of magazine. High polish, "Crown/N" proofed. Serial range 977xxx-981xxx.

Variation 3-
Serial number on right side of slide, with the "P" suffix BELOW serial number. High polish "crown/N" proofed. Serial range- 124xxx/P-125xxx/P.

Variation 4-
Serial number on right slide flat, with "P" suffix after serial number on slide, frame, and magazine. High polish "crown/N" proofs. Serial range- 157xxxP-165xxxP. The Crown/N proofs start disappearing around the 165xxxP range.

Variation 5-
Serial number on right slide flat with "P" suffix after. "Eagle/N" proof, High polish. Serial range- 193xxxP-204xxxP.

Variation 6-
Serial number on right slide flat. (Walther adds full serial number to right side of slide on all PPs at or around 220xxxP), dull military blue finish, eagle/N proof. Full serial number is now on the bottom of magazine base. This variation has not yet been confirmed, but it would seem likely since there are late SS PPks with these exact kind of characteristics. These would be like the variation 7 of the PPk, but much lower serial number.

Matt
Doing some research on a PP I've been offered and stumbled on this thread. I know its old but if someone is still following it I have a question or two. Would an SS PP or PPK have a 359 proof also? The PP in question is in the 219xxxP range with 1 numbered mag and 359 proof not just the regular Eagle N nitro/commercial proof.
Thx ESU

Old 04-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
Tepo911

no

Old 04-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #11
esu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepo911 View Post
no
Steve, thx for the reply. ANy thoughts on this one? Someones attempt to make it something its not? A friend mentioned a Luft contract piece but Ive never heard of a Luft contract.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #12
Tepo911

Yes....Hi
There was a serial number block with numbered mags produced for a Luft contract. It's not something I follow, but you should get a quick answer on the P38 PPK forum. I do know that with military acceptance stamp it cannot also be SS.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
esu

Steve, thank you sir for your reply, I am checking on the p38 forum.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:27 PM   #14
tiapat

Check with Tom Whiteman of Legacy Collectibles......he will tell you in a heartbeat....also on the P-38 Forum.....cheers